ar platform scope changing?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    well fellas I would like your input on swapping some scopes around on my hunting ar's... start off with what I have:

6.8spc
    16" bison arms, mega arms billet upper/lower,geissele 3lb 2 stage trigger, MI 12" ss forend, magpul rifle stock, silencerco flash hider, Nikon p series rings, trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 amber triangle post...
    weight with empty 30 round pri mag= 8.2lbs

.308 win
    16" DPMS RECON G2, MI 15" keymod super slim forend, magpul moe stock, surefire brake(will be silencerco flash hider), burris 30mm rings, leoupold 30mm 1.25-4 fire dot, bcm kag grip
    weight with empty 20 round pmag=9.6lbs

ok so both of these guns are primarily gonna be ran suppressed with an omega 30, while hunting. Both guns feel great with the balance of scope weight and center of gravity.. I have quite a few rounds down the 6.8 with very easily 3 shots touching at 100 yards even with triangle post reticle shooting 120gr sst. now I haven't had the recon for a long time but have shot about 200 rounds in the back yard and easily get 5 shot groups touching at 50 yards, and ring 8" steel with no effort at 100 yards just playing around, haven't had the chance to stretch her legs out yet... so heres my question.. I fell very comfortable with theses guns the way they are set up now, but I cant help but wonder would the optics be better suited if I swap them around :confused: I know the 308 screams more zoom, but hunting in thick woods I would love the .308 power with a low power scope and energy. with the 6.8 being so accurate I kinda feel like It needs more zoom for a precise shot because of the less energy.

well im sure some of you fellas have been through this "terrible dilemma". what direction did you go, how are yours set up, pics are nice, and what would you recommend. I guess deep down I might be looking for some of yall to agree with me how they are set up now :mamoru:

thanks in advance fellas

g2.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

burrito1245

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Metairie, La
    I understand your where your coming from, if I were in your shoes I would leave them how you have them set up. You said the 308 was intended for close range hunting, and the 6.8 for precise longer range hunting. The BC of both calibers are pretty close depending on specific load, if the 6.8 has the better trigger in it leave the more powerful scope on it for range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    lol I wish, they have people who have a lot better than these on this site. Theses are far from the top of the line... but they are mine and I do love them equally

I know what you mean. But for us lowly peasants those are some nice pieces you got. I'm thinking about taking some of my bonus and treating myself to a Vortex PST 2.5x10x44 and slapping it on the FAL. Then I free up my prostaff 3x9 to adorn something else...

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    theres nothing wrong with a vortex!!!! If I wouldn't had traded into these scopes I would be running a Nikon or a vortex.... they are both top of the line for the price. You know that no lowly peasants owns a FAL. they are top of the line .308 battle rifles, the first "black rifle", right arm of the free world!!!! ok... ok.... well no peasants in the united states own them, now a lot of overseas peasants do lol

Last edited:
    Top Bottom