1911?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red Leader

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Hahnville, La
    This question has probably been posted before so I apologize for it. I'm a Glock 21 guy but have been thinking about adding a 1911 to the stable. Not a pretty one like you know who but a mat finish one to be carried in a tactical holster. What do you guys think?

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    This question has probably been posted before so I apologize for it. I'm a Glock 21 guy but have been thinking about adding a 1911 to the stable. Not a pretty one like you know who but a mat finish one to be carried in a tactical holster. What do you guys think?

I love my Kimber tactical entry II in a blackhawk! Get a 1911 and you'll love it. My Kimber is tight and right!

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish

If the above is the case, go with a RIA. They are not as refined as the name brand ones but will serve you well at a much reduced price.

BO_V

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    Springfield armory
    It's a very reliable firearm and it doesn't cost as a kimber or colt

You can also customize it if you want

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I guess something is wrong with me because I don't care how much my guns cost, I still carry them all through the woods and beat the hell out of em. They are made of metal ya know... Just take them home and clean them real good!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Since you're a glock guy, a bit of advice on 1911's... buy a decent one. Leave it alone. Don't modify it. It doesn't have to be $2K. I've been running a SA Loaded model for years. The only thing I changed were the grip panels. I think it listed for about $600 when I got it. It has what you need and nothing more (extended safety, decent sights, etc.). Nothing fancy, but it works, unfailingly. Modifying 1911's is like tuning cars- its a hobby for people with time and money to burn.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm a Springfield fan with experience owning a Loaded, Range Officer, MC operator, and TRP. I only have the TRP now and it's a GREAT pistol. But none of my other ones gave me issues, they were all well equipped/built for it's price range. But the front strap checkering and nice finished edges and magwell is what sold me on the TRP. And it consistently breaks right at 4lbs.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Look at the Ruger in S/S. A friend has a springer in 9mm & loves it over his Glock. His wife has a 3/4 size in 380 that he thinks is great. My own self has a Springer Mil spec. I never shot a Glock so I can't compair. It is Large for cc duty unless you go with the commander size. Only down side I see with 1911s is the mag cap.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    You'll get a totally different experience of a gun when comparing a 1911 to a Glock. I think of Glocks as rather utilitarian compared to other style of guns. They are pretty good for just about everything. But to experience something special, a gun that isn't trying to be all things to all people, but is what it is, and some say that is perfection, then try a 1911.

The one's mentioned are great entry level 1911s, and that is all you really have to have. The main ones I see mentioned in the under $1,000 (look to spend $600-$800 maybe) would be Springfield Armory, Ruger, and my gun is the Remington R1. There two brands to consider which are less expensive than these, the Rock Island Armory (RIA or Amscor) and Para, made in the Philippines and Turkey respectively. With these guns you get a lot for the money, feature wise, but build quality might not be quite as good as the other mentioned, which will be possibly better finished but without the bells and whistles of the overseas models. Many are happy with what they get on those models, so just look into them for yourself and see what appeals to you. They are all the same basic design, so the differences are in the build quality and features. Happy shooting!

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I guess something is wrong with me because I don't care how much my guns cost, I still carry them all through the woods and beat the hell out of em. They are made of metal ya know... Just take them home and clean them real good!

I hear ya. I only buy guns that are in their work close. Because tools are made for working with. I own one rife with a high end finish and it was a gift from my grandfather. But when I started carrying it in the woods I started carrying a sidearm because I sling it across my back so I can still bump and bump and not ruin the Monte Carlo wood stock.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I am familiar with the springfield mil-spec. It has been virtually trouble free throughout my ownership. The extractor started malfunctioning around 5000 causing FTE, replaced with the Wilson bulletproof and have had no issues since. Whatever brand you get, I would recommend replacing the firing pin spring every few thousand just to be safe, can be bought in a kit with the recoil spring as well, and that is the rout I go.

My dad has the RIA officers model and loves it, no issues.

The thing about the springfield milspec is that the sights cannot be changed without dovetailing the slide. I'm sure they make a model similar that the sights can easily be changed, but I find the stock sights adequate.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    If the above is the case, go with a RIA. They are not as refined as the name brand ones but will serve you well at a much reduced price.

I second Firearmfanatic, the RIA is a good value for the money. You can get a nice one with VZ grips, fiber optic front sight and adjustable rear for under $600. I have the commander length version and I am very satisfied with it. I own several 1911's and this gun shoots just as well as my $1600 Sig. We are close enough if you PM me you can come over and check them out for yourself, or you can shoot them at the range next week. I'll be at Nicks Monday and Wednesday and can bring 5 of them for you to tryout.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I'll second this for saving a couple bucks for a damn well made pistol.

Third this option. I own a couple of Wilson Combat 1911 guns, and am very happy with the 9mm Range Officer. Very well made for the price. My advice, is while RIA and some of the less expensive guns are pretty reliable, spend a little more, get a SA, or maybe look for a used Colt. Shoot if for a while, then see if you want to send it off for any mods. I plan on getting the front strap on my SA serated, other than that, very happy with the gun.

I got back into 1911's with a RIA. While the gun functioned well, I was never quite 'happy' with it, always wished I had saved up and got back in with a 'better' gun. Not putting down RIA at all. Of course, sadly for me, my 1911 friends have Ed Brown, Wilson Combat guns, so I was corrupted.

Last edited:

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    If you get a 1911 I'd save some money like others have said. I'm a fan of Dan Wesson. I have a valor and Valkyrie commander. Excellent quality, semi custom before you get into the expensive custom brands. Some even say Dan Wesson is comparable to the more expensive 1911s( Wilson combat, Ed brown, nighthawk, Volkmann, etc). Try some out and see what you like within your budget.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Lots of good ideas here to take advantage of, particularly on offers to test fire some models. I would echo the idea of picking a model and then leave it alone. Think carefully about what you plan to use it for and the options you want. I once went the route of buying a base model 1911 and then when I went to use it for some competitions found that it was wanting. I changed sights, added extended slide releases and safeties, experimented with barrels and links, had the slide ported and the feed ramp polished, spent more money than was reasonable. Finally shot someone else's Gold Cup National Match out of the box and immediately sold the original pistol and bought a Gold Cup of my own.

Many of the options to think about are: Sights, extended slide release, extended thumb safety, bilateral thumb safety, beavertail grip, memory bump on the grip safety, ported slide, polished feed ramp, front slide serrations, vertical or slanted slide serrations, extended mag well, flared mag well, front grip serrations, dust cover rail, slide rib or no-rib, extended or oversize mag release, adjustable trigger, arched or flat mainspring housing, blue or park or stainless finish, slide length (5" standard, or officer or commander length), standard or commander hammer, etc.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom