Hunter's Run Gun Club being evicted by WBR Sheriff Mike Cazes???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    We've received a fair number of inquiries about what exactly happened. We are able to comment on the bits that are public record.

As of today, HRGC has been evicted and has to vacate by the end of the month. There was a bid process already. HRGC was the HIGH BIDDER, but the low bid was picked by the Sheriff. That bid process was invalidated by a court, but the Sheriff’s eviction notice was left standing as legal. To issue a lease, a new bid process has to be initiated.

We’re hoping to stay open and operating while we wait for a proper bid process to take place. That can only be done by the grace of the Sheriff.

We encourage our members to visit the club and write the sheriff using our form letter, or download it here and print or email it back to us.

http://huntersrungunclub.com/

I'm not sure what Sheriff Mike Cazes' deal is on this wonky bid process. This is the only outdoor range within short driving distance of BR! It's a safe family environment with a lot of good members... we even have Boy Scouts come out to qualify for shooting sports merit badges here.

If any of you guys want to help keep this club alive or just plain hate good old boy politics, please call or write the West Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office (attention Mike Cazes) and voice your opinion!

frikinelmo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Gonzales, LA
    Are they leasing the land from the state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a lease from the Sheriff's office as it's their property. No issues at all until they randomly and abruptly put it up for bid a few months back.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    It's been a lease from the Sheriff's office as it's their property. No issues at all until they randomly and abruptly put it up for bid a few months back.

Maybe they just don't want an outdoor range in that area anymore due to population growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    What about said proprietor of HRGC buying property in Baker/Zachery to move to but found out it was wetlands and couldn't do that? Then wants to stay in Port Allen. Still sounds strange though.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Maybe they just don't want an outdoor range in that area anymore due to population growth.

Nah, I hear Mike Cazes wants to see more registered events there to draw in more shooters to the parish. With the current state of maintenance on some of the field equipment, perhaps he feels a new owner will put more into the facilities.

What about said proprietor of HRGC buying property in Baker/Zachery to move to but found out it was wetlands and couldn't do that? Then wants to stay in Port Allen. Still sounds strange though.

Yeah, I heard about that too. I was shooting there yesterday for their last day, and talked to a few other shooters who had joined within the last month (they ran a $200 Thanksgiving membership special), including one guy who just joined last weekend. Seems kinda shady to me if you knew this was coming down and still took people's money.

frikinelmo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Gonzales, LA
    Nah, I hear Mike Cazes wants to see more registered events there to draw in more shooters to the parish. With the current state of maintenance on some of the field equipment, perhaps he feels a new owner will put more into the facilities.

Yeah, I heard about that too. I was shooting there yesterday for their last day, and talked to a few other shooters who had joined within the last month (they ran a $200 Thanksgiving membership special), including one guy who just joined last weekend. Seems kinda shady to me if you knew this was coming down and still took people's money.

I know it wasn't an effort to rob people of their $200, but confidence that their bid would be the highest. I'm not sure what benefit it is to the sheriff to have more shooters there vs taking the highest bidder. Are you implying the Sheriff is getting a % of the take from the business? In the end, I think this will end up being a benefit to the members. There were limitations on that property and encroachment from surrounding businesses. They were having to be very careful which fields they shot and the direction of shotfall.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I know it wasn't an effort to rob people of their $200, but confidence that their bid would be the highest. I'm not sure what benefit it is to the sheriff to have more shooters there vs taking the highest bidder. Are you implying the Sheriff is getting a % of the take from the business? In the end, I think this will end up being a benefit to the members. There were limitations on that property and encroachment from surrounding businesses. They were having to be very careful which fields they shot and the direction of shotfall.

I'm not saying they were trying to rob anyone, just saying a little disclosure would have been nice. I don't mean to imply the Sheriff is getting any kickbacks, I've just heard that he would like to see more registered events there to bring people to the parish. There area lot of marsh fishermen/duck hunters in his circle, and he'd rather WBR be their destination then heading out of town. Of course, the facilities would have to vastly improve to be able to host anything big. Well, I'm a member and I hope everything works out. I like the convenience of the location and everyone I've met there is nice. I primarily use the rifle range, rarely shoot skeet.

frikinelmo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Gonzales, LA
    I'm not saying they were trying to rob anyone, just saying a little disclosure would have been nice. I don't mean to imply the Sheriff is getting any kickbacks, I've just heard that he would like to see more registered events there to bring people to the parish. There area lot of marsh fishermen/duck hunters in his circle, and he'd rather WBR be their destination then heading out of town. Of course, the facilities would have to vastly improve to be able to host anything big. Well, I'm a member and I hope everything works out. I like the convenience of the location and everyone I've met there is nice. I primarily use the rifle range, rarely shoot skeet.

I think it was just a crappy thing all around. I know the initial announcement was when all other avenues had been tried. Because of the invalidated bids, I dont think they expected they'd be evicted. It's a tough business. The quantity of expensive machines it takes to operate vs the revenue from rounds of sporting clays doesn't yield a ton of money. I heard there was even a cease and desist from a neighboring biz due to shotfall. It's just too snug of a property for much improvement. You're limited on the distance for the rifle range as well.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I think it was just a crappy thing all around. I know the initial announcement was when all other avenues had been tried. Because of the invalidated bids, I dont think they expected they'd be evicted. It's a tough business. The quantity of expensive machines it takes to operate vs the revenue from rounds of sporting clays doesn't yield a ton of money. I heard there was even a cease and desist from a neighboring biz due to shotfall. It's just too snug of a property for much improvement. You're limited on the distance for the rifle range as well.

True on all counts. I had to LOL the first time we had to go cold due to a passing train.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I shot skeet at the Gator Gun Club on the airbase in Houma back in the 70's. We had to go cold often for helicopters. It eventually led to the closure of the club and range.

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I just heard about this. It sucks because we used to go shoot their Thursday sporting clays somewhat frequently. There's not too many other options out there. :confused:

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I wouldn't worry too much about it going away. Most people may not know, but WBR has basically been operating and maintaining the range for a year anyways. I highly doubt they will close it, I suspect it's more or less friction between WBR and the current leasee profiting on the nice, revamped range facilities.

The person who gave me this info did it off the record, so right or wrong I can't name him.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom