Crossbow Bolts???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Santa was good to me this year! He brought me a Daisy Red Ryder Carbine with a compass in the stock...

No wait, he brought me my first crossbow. It's a 175lb recurve and looks fairly decent. The aluminum bolts that came with it are cheesy and not perfectly straight. I'd like to replace them with carbon bolts but I noticed there are no instructions regarding length, spine, etc.

In buying crossbow bolts, do I need to consider things like spine or is that a non-issue since the bolts shoot off a straight rail? Thanks!

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Check which nock the manufacturer recommends. Ten Point, and a couple of others, advise to use a star shaped nock. Most crossbows use a crescent shaped nock.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    I have a crossbow and it uses the 20" bolts. They also have 22" bolts that some use. Last year Wal Mart had the carbon bolts for $7 each. A couple items to have is a de-cocking bolt that you can use to shoot at just about anything to un-cock your bow. It's just a heavier blunt end bolt. Another item to get is a foam rubber sleeve to put around the bolt to help pull it out of your target unless you have hands like superman. Also be careful of the target you choose as it can shoot through a lot. I borrowed one that was a 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot square and fairly heavy. It stopped most of the bolts but sometimes did go through it. That was at 20-25 yards. And the ones that went about half way in, well I like to have never pulled them back out and that was with field tips on them. You don't really want to use the broad heads on the target. I'm guessing yours came with a scope to site in so just be careful where you shoot because they have a lot of power. I think mine is either 330fps or 345fps and can hit dead on at 45 yards pretty easy. They are fun to shoot. Merry Christmas and happy shooting.

Last edited:

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Thanks for the advice folks. I fired enough to get it on target with the factory bolts. It was a blast. The forward recoil kinda reminded me of a magnum spring air rifle. I can't wait to get this thing in the woods.

Top Bottom