Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Experience with cheaper AR-15/M4s?

Looking at one of the forums sponsors and they have some for pretty cheap, under $600. Anyone have one of these or dealt with them?

S&W M&P15 Sport 2
    Colt Expanse M4
    Windham Weaponry M4
    Bear Creek Arsenal AR

I haven't researched any of these yet, figured I'd ask you all for real world experience first.

I know you get what you pay for so I'm not looking for anything spectacular with this list, just something to go shoot at the range.
    -XD9 V10 Ported
    -M&P Shield 9mm

On Target
    Ive used bear creek arsenal barrels before on two of my 18" builds. I am satisfied with their performance, 1-1.5 moa at 100 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If it flys it dies, if its brown its down.

Marksman

Premium Member
    Slick guns.
    Anderson AR
    under $500.00

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Slick guns.
    Anderson AR
    under $500.00
    Have you shot that particular one?
    -XD9 V10 Ported
    -M&P Shield 9mm

Marksman

Premium Member
    Yes sir, many rounds through.

Yes sir, many rounds through.
    Good to hear. Thanks!
    -XD9 V10 Ported
    -M&P Shield 9mm

I stick to aero, Anderson and psa on the lower end. Never had a single problem from those 3.
    I sold my m&p sport. Too picky on ammo and upper to lower fit was sloppy. My brothers Bear Creek is flawless. Very consistent groups but hates coated steel ammo.
    """ When Donnie speaks, listen! I Do! """

Windham weaponry makes fine rifles, I would not consider them budget rifles. I also have had good luck with Anderson and PSA. Can't go wrong with colt either. I would suggest getting one with dust cover and forward assist for sure.

+1 on dust cover and forward assist

Slick guns.
    Anderson AR
    under $500.00
    Anderson (at least lowers and LPK) are good to go. All things PSA (with patience on shipping) have been good to go in my experience for ARs on the cheap.
    Last edited by Saw; December 29th, 2016 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Spelling

Banned
    I have the DPMS Oracle. It's a cheaper AR. It eats everything on feed it. The barrel is thin and it's got a low twist rate but it runs fine. I can't talk much about the accuracy because I've run it on irons and my eyes are garbage. It will wear a scope soon and I'll get a chance to see how accurate it shoots.
    Last edited by Whitebread; December 29th, 2016 at 06:58 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oppsImissed View Post
    +1 on dust cover and forward assist
    +2

There is just no reason to buy one without it. I have never used forward but the dust cover is a no brainer. If you shoot wrong handed like me the shell deflector is the real winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebread View Post
    I have the DPMS Oracle. It's a cheaper AR. It eats everything on feed it. The barrel is thin and it's got a low twist rate but it runs fine. I can't talk much about the accuracy because I've run it on irons and my eyes are garbage. It will wear a scope soon and I'll get a chance to see how accurate it shoots.
    The Oracle was my first Ar. From Walmart. 550 bucks. Loved it. But no forward assist or dust cover. I also had a DoubleStar. Ate everything I fed it.

Marksman

Premium Member

Ruger makes a very good AR in your price range. The one we have shoots very well. Has the forward assist and dust cover. All the reviews that I've seen talk highly of them. It's definitely not a high end AR, but fits the role I envision it for.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oppsImissed View Post
    The Oracle was my first Ar. From Walmart. 550 bucks. Loved it. But no forward assist or dust cover. I also had a DoubleStar. Ate everything I fed it.
    Mine has FA and dust Just like ever other AR15. Now the Sporticle did not when I bought mine last year. I paid right about $450 from Bass Pro.

On Target

Experience with cheaper AR-15/M4s?

I have a Dpms oracle as my first ar I completely swapped out the furniture including the front gasblock. Free floated the barrel and was surprised how reliable and accurate the little cheap gun was. Mine came with the forward assist and dust cover, tho I don't mind. Gun has run everything from cheap Tula to match hornady not one hiccup. My bear creek barrels are on Anderson lowers they are fine for what they are I wish they offered a lefty version. Palmetto has been really good in the past but my last build from them was on a freedom barrel and even tho it was reliable I can't say so much for accuracy even with glass and a good trigger i couldent get anything smaller than a 2" group at 100 yards.

Last edited by burrito1245; December 29th, 2016 at 07:23 PM.

Marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by Labeeman View Post
    Ruger makes a very good AR in your price range. The one we have shoots very well. Has the forward assist and dust cover. All the reviews that I've seen talk highly of them. It's definitely not a high end AR, but fits the role I envision it for.
    I have a Ruger AR 556 and I love it. Good base to upgrade onto as well

I did forget about the Ruger AR 556, that's another one I saw. I saw the Oracle but really don't know much about that company so I kinda skipped over it.

So it seems like theirs a good group of lower priced ARs to choose from, that's good to know.

My next question is since you all seem to like a lot of these lower end ARs, what makes the $1500+ ones so much better? Reliability? Accurancy? Less weight?
    -XD9 V10 Ported
    -M&P Shield 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Nola 32/65 View Post
    My next question is since you all seem to like a lot of these lower end ARs, what makes the $1500+ ones so much better? Reliability? Accurancy? Less weight?
    Yes, yes, and yes/no. I do not own one of the high end ARs but will be in the market for a DDM4 V11. That's one sweet rifle.

On Target
    The Barrel, and name you get along with the gun. Parts in general, some guns come with upgraded triggers, some with specific forends. Daniel defense makes some really good cold hammer forged barrels, and their own furniture, spikes tactical makes really good guns also but don't have much experience, except in their stripped lowers. Midwest industries makes free float forends and also really good rifles.