Experience with cheaper AR-15/M4s?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nola 32/65

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Metairie
    Looking at one of the forums sponsors and they have some for pretty cheap, under $600. Anyone have one of these or dealt with them?

S&W M&P15 Sport 2
    Colt Expanse M4
    Windham Weaponry M4
    Bear Creek Arsenal AR

I haven't researched any of these yet, figured I'd ask you all for real world experience first.

I know you get what you pay for so I'm not looking for anything spectacular with this list, just something to go shoot at the range.

burrito1245

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Metairie, La
    Ive used bear creek arsenal barrels before on two of my 18" builds. I am satisfied with their performance, 1-1.5 moa at 100 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    I stick to aero, Anderson and psa on the lower end. Never had a single problem from those 3.
    I sold my m&p sport. Too picky on ammo and upper to lower fit was sloppy. My brothers Bear Creek is flawless. Very consistent groups but hates coated steel ammo.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Windham weaponry makes fine rifles, I would not consider them budget rifles. I also have had good luck with Anderson and PSA. Can't go wrong with colt either. I would suggest getting one with dust cover and forward assist for sure.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    Slick guns.
    Anderson AR
    under $500.00

Anderson (at least lowers and LPK) are good to go. All things PSA (with patience on shipping) have been good to go in my experience for ARs on the cheap.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I have the DPMS Oracle. It's a cheaper AR. It eats everything on feed it. The barrel is thin and it's got a low twist rate but it runs fine. I can't talk much about the accuracy because I've run it on irons and my eyes are garbage. It will wear a scope soon and I'll get a chance to see how accurate it shoots.

Last edited:

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    I have the DPMS Oracle. It's a cheaper AR. It eats everything on feed it. The barrel is thin and it's got a low twist rate but it runs fine. I can't talk much about the accuracy because I've run it on irons and my eyes are garbage. It will wear a scope soon and I'll get a chance to see how accurate it shoots.

The Oracle was my first Ar. From Walmart. 550 bucks. Loved it. But no forward assist or dust cover. I also had a DoubleStar. Ate everything I fed it.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Ruger makes a very good AR in your price range. The one we have shoots very well. Has the forward assist and dust cover. All the reviews that I've seen talk highly of them. It's definitely not a high end AR, but fits the role I envision it for.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    The Oracle was my first Ar. From Walmart. 550 bucks. Loved it. But no forward assist or dust cover. I also had a DoubleStar. Ate everything I fed it.

Mine has FA and dust Just like ever other AR15. Now the Sporticle did not when I bought mine last year. I paid right about $450 from Bass Pro.

burrito1245

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Metairie, La
    I have a Dpms oracle as my first ar I completely swapped out the furniture including the front gasblock. Free floated the barrel and was surprised how reliable and accurate the little cheap gun was. Mine came with the forward assist and dust cover, tho I don't mind. Gun has run everything from cheap Tula to match hornady not one hiccup. My bear creek barrels are on Anderson lowers they are fine for what they are I wish they offered a lefty version. Palmetto has been really good in the past but my last build from them was on a freedom barrel and even tho it was reliable I can't say so much for accuracy even with glass and a good trigger i couldent get anything smaller than a 2" group at 100 yards.

Last edited:

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Ruger makes a very good AR in your price range. The one we have shoots very well. Has the forward assist and dust cover. All the reviews that I've seen talk highly of them. It's definitely not a high end AR, but fits the role I envision it for.

I have a Ruger AR 556 and I love it. Good base to upgrade onto as well

Nola 32/65

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Metairie
    I did forget about the Ruger AR 556, that's another one I saw. I saw the Oracle but really don't know much about that company so I kinda skipped over it.

So it seems like theirs a good group of lower priced ARs to choose from, that's good to know.

My next question is since you all seem to like a lot of these lower end ARs, what makes the $1500+ ones so much better? Reliability? Accurancy? Less weight?

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    My next question is since you all seem to like a lot of these lower end ARs, what makes the $1500+ ones so much better? Reliability? Accurancy? Less weight?

Yes, yes, and yes/no. I do not own one of the high end ARs but will be in the market for a DDM4 V11. That's one sweet rifle.

burrito1245

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Metairie, La
    The Barrel, and name you get along with the gun. Parts in general, some guns come with upgraded triggers, some with specific forends. Daniel defense makes some really good cold hammer forged barrels, and their own furniture, spikes tactical makes really good guns also but don't have much experience, except in their stripped lowers. Midwest industries makes free float forends and also really good rifles.

Top Bottom