Experience with cheaper AR-15/M4s?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Ive used the forward assist, all it does is make a bad problem worse! So from my experience all the FA does is add weight and compound any malf's if used, now the dust cover/name tag is a must!lol My first AR was a Olympic Arms, never had any problems with it

For those looking to use the AR platform for hunting, let me tell you this about the forward assist. Many times I have been in a stand and found I did not load a round in the chamber. As many know, your are not suppose to ride the bolt slowly b/ it just won't seat the round correctly. So as not to make that loud rack, I have found that riding the bolt and then hitting the forward assist and seatting the round has saved me a few times when I have an animal close to my stand and no round in the chamber. Just throwing that out there.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've own a 1500.00 Ruger SR556. It was piston driven. Loved it. It was much heavier than most ARs. Sold it and built three ARs for the same price.

As much as I loved the ruger, I don't see why it's worth so much more for my uses. I much rather a more budget gun with more ammo and trigger time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I've own a 1500.00 Ruger SR556. It was piston driven. Loved it. It was much heavier than most ARs. Sold it and built three ARs for the same price.

As much as I loved the ruger, I don't see why it's worth so much more for my uses. I much rather a more budget gun with more ammo and trigger time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are just making entirely too much sense there :)

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    You are just making entirely too much sense there :)

To me it all boils down to purpose I have a cheap rifle and it shoots plenty fine. My Grendel is purpose built for competing with AT&T. I have a cheap 300BO pistol and a cheap 223. All have different tasks to do. If I had confidence in a cheap Grendel barrel I would have tried it but.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I have a M&P 15 Sport 2 and have had nothing but good luck with it.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I bought several Radical Firearms AR15's last year as presents and all were fine shooters with great entry level triggers. Made around Houston and $499.99 delivered to your FFL (through AIM Surplus).
    Agree with above posts that these "entry level" (inexpensive) AR's operate nearly as well, from a practical standpoint, as my Noveske, DD, LWRC and Colts at a fraction of the investment. Kinda like a "plain" 1911 with a few upgraded parts compared to a $3K custom 1911. But I am still a sucker for "high end" toys, lol.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I bought several Radical Firearms AR15's last year as presents and all were fine shooters with great entry level triggers. Made around Houston and $499.99 delivered to your FFL (through AIM Surplus).
    Agree with above posts that these "entry level" (inexpensive) AR's operate nearly as well, from a practical standpoint, as my Noveske, DD, LWRC and Colts at a fraction of the investment. Kinda like a "plain" 1911 with a few upgraded parts compared to a $3K custom 1911. But I am still a sucker for "high end" toys, lol.

I have purchased 2 Radical Firearms uppers, one of em a 300 BO (without BCG and CH) for $200 at Primary Arms in TX. I don't know how they do it for these prices. The last one I purchased was a 12x42mm (50 Beowulf) with BCG for $440. I'll be taking it to the range very soon. You cannot find a complete 50 Beo upper anywhere else for < $650.

Radical says they manufacture their own parts, but they have to be from overseas somewhere. People talk a lot of smack about Radical, but if you read the current user reviews, most are happy shooters. Radical no doubt had some QC problems initially couple years ago. PA stands behind anything they sell, why I took a chance originally. PA sells DD and Noveske too, they have them all there.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I have purchased 2 Radical Firearms uppers, one of em a 300 BO (without BCG and CH) for $200 at Primary Arms in TX. I don't know how they do it for these prices. The last one I purchased was a 12x42mm (50 Beowulf) with BCG for $440. I'll be taking it to the range very soon. You cannot find a complete 50 Beo upper anywhere else for < $650.

Radical says they manufacture their own parts, but they have to be from overseas somewhere. People talk a lot of smack about Radical, but if you read the current user reviews, most are happy shooters. Radical no doubt had some QC problems initially couple years ago. PA stands behind anything they sell, why I took a chance originally. PA sells DD and Noveske too, they have them all there.

My 300blk pistol is an RF upper. I went with them because of to factors:
    Price, it's hard to beat $250 with a free float hand guard in 300blk.
    And
    Function, I looked at a lot of offerings and asked a lot of questions and the more I asked the more I worried about buying a gun that is supposed to function un-suppressed with super and subsonic rounds without jacking with buffers, ports or blocks. On Radical Firearms sight they said they function test each upper with supers and subs before it's shipped. I was happy to find a standard carbine buffer and bolt work flawless with that upper.

I built that pistol for less than $600.

Last edited:

Tanker

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Metairie, Louisana
    Ruger AR 556 is excellent. I have experience shooting 2 different rifles and both performed very well.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I've shot several M&P 15 Sport II's... no problems. Ruger AR 556... No problems (actually like the "extras" and custom items ruger has on their AR).

BCI, Aero... also both function very well.

Top Bottom