Experience with cheaper AR-15/M4s?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    H
    I did forget about the Ruger AR 556

My next question is since you all seem to like a lot of these lower end ARs, what makes the $1500+ ones so much better? Reliability? Accurancy? Less weight?

As for the ruger, correct me if I wrong but isn't it a piston design as opposed to the direct impingement? You may have feelings for or against one.

As to your question about high end guns. I have one custom 6.5 Grendel I paid $2500 for. I often ask my self why, when bubba posts pics of his groups shot with a gun costing 1/4 what mine did. Of course bubba never shows more than a three shot group at 100 yds.

But hey, I got all those fancy parts :) Lilja barrel, geissele trigger, Seekins hg, Nicole boron bcg etc etc....

My point is, some cheap guns do shoot well. The only difference I feel between my high dollar ar's and my hunting ar's (which aren't cheap just not really high dollar) is when you pull the charging handle the high dollar stuff just feels smoother more polished. Are they worth it? I don't think I will know until I try to sell one, which may never happen.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    H

As for the ruger, correct me if I wrong but isn't it a piston design as opposed to the direct impingement? You may have feelings for or against one.

As to your question about high end guns. I have one custom 6.5 Grendel I paid $2500 for. I often ask my self why, when bubba posts pics of his groups shot with a gun costing 1/4 what mine did. Of course bubba never shows more than a three shot group at 100 yds.

But hey, I got all those fancy parts :) Lilja barrel, geissele trigger, Seekins hg, Nicole boron bcg etc etc....

My point is, some cheap guns do shoot well. The only difference I feel between my high dollar ar's and my hunting ar's (which aren't cheap just not really high dollar) is when you pull the charging handle the high dollar stuff just feels smoother more polished. Are they worth it? I don't think I will know until I try to sell one, which may never happen.

Although you did sell a barrel and bolt once. Worth every penny. Now to mount some good glass and get the trigger monkey doing his part.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I did forget about the Ruger AR 556, that's another one I saw. I saw the Oracle but really don't know much about that company so I kinda skipped over it.

So it seems like theirs a good group of lower priced ARs to choose from, that's good to know.

My next question is since you all seem to like a lot of these lower end ARs, what makes the $1500+ ones so much better? Reliability? Accurancy? Less weight?

My opinion is the rifle as a whole is not any better but the key parts do make a difference. A cheaper rifle will be built with a cheaper barrel, a cheaper bolt, a cheaper stock, cheaper handguard. Personally I will never buy another AR. I will build mine it's easier than it sounds and you can build a better rifle for cheaper than you could buy it. I built a 6.5 upper with a used seekens rail, used high quality barrel and bolt, and an aero receiver for $650. Yeah that's more than my entire first AR but it is also 1/2moa capable and it's a 6.5 Grendel.

If you want an AR that will function and shoot decent buy a cheap gun. There is nothing wrong with it, but if you want a high end gun but the few tools you need and assemble your own.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I have owned quite a few ARs in the last 25 years. Colt, Bushmaster, CMMG, and DPMS to name a few. And I have put together quite a few over those years. I currently own a DPMS Oracle I purchased from Cabelas for $550 about a year ago, and mine does have FA and dust cover. I put a 4x scope on it and its very accurate at 100 yards. It has not skipped a beat from day one. Right now they're on sale for $500 at Cabelas. IMO, you cannot beat it for the price.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/DPMS-Oracle-Semiautomatic-Tactical-Rifles/1143595.uts

Last edited:

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    +2

There is just no reason to buy one without it. I have never used forward but the dust cover is a no brainer. If you shoot wrong handed like me the shell deflector is the real winner.

Ive used the forward assist, all it does is make a bad problem worse! So from my experience all the FA does is add weight and compound any malf's if used, now the dust cover/name tag is a must!lol My first AR was a Olympic Arms, never had any problems with it

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Although you did sell a barrel and bolt once. Worth every penny. Now to mount some good glass and get the trigger monkey doing his part.

Yeah, but I kept the Lilja and Bartlien barreled uppers. Only sold to you cause I felt sorry for you ;)

I had one too many 20" guns and replaced your barrel with a 16". I have a 12" on order and thinking I may build the next one myself.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Yeah, but I kept the Lilja and Bartlien barreled uppers. Only sold to you cause I felt sorry for you ;)

I had one too many 20" guns and replaced your barrel with a 16". I have a 12" on order and thinking I may build the next one myself.

Well whatever the cause that heavy joker should serve me well. Building one really is pretty simple. It takes a couple special tools and a little gray matter between the ears. No need to cheek headspace the manufacturer does that when they install the extension. One thing I read about that I almost tried was lapping the receiver. I didn't have the right tool so I didn't do it. Time will tell if I need to go back and do it.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Magdump has built many ar15s I'm waiting for his professional opinion here. Lmao

Magdump recently put together an el cheapo AR.....with "ghast" a 16" hundred dollar barrel. He posted his 9 shot group @ 100 yards which might have measured .6 of an inch. Search his username, you'll find his post here.

You guys keep purchasing those $500+ noveske, Lilja, and krieger barrels. If it makes ya feel warm and fuzzy, good for ya.

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    When you are as poor a shooter as I am you try to eliminate as many perceived weak links as possible.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Here ya go, magdump's el cheapo.....actually that 9 shot group might measure .5" Post #74 :)

And big props to Magdump because it takes more than just a fine barrel/weapon to produce these sort of extraordinary results.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?48955-What-is-considered-to-be-a-good-group-at-100-yards&p=1552403&highlight=#post1552403

No doubt the shooter has to do his part. Some shooters need more help than others to get there. I just bought a 6.5-20 so I can stop whining about my eyes.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    No doubt the shooter has to do his part. Some shooters need more help than others to get there. I just bought a 6.5-20 so I can stop whining about my eyes.

LOL my eyes have abandoned me in this later stage of life. At one time I had 20/15 vision.....no more, not even close.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    LOL my eyes have abandoned me in this later stage of life. At one time I had 20/15 vision.....no more, not even close.

My my contacts are only a -5.00 and -4.50 so technically I'm not that bad off but the lack of color and definition at even short distances is pitiful. 25yards I'm good to go on open or peep sights, 50yards I can see what I'm trying to hit and hit with a reasonable amount of accuracy, but further forget it.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    For a cheap AR, I'd recommend the S&W M&P-15 (around $650) or build one from an Aero OEM kit (around $550 + furniture). Those are both solid budget options that I've personally seen perform well. Everything I've seen below that price range has been hit-or-miss in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom