Broken case extractor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I haven't ever had a case separation as yet but I can see where it is likely just a matter of time before it happens if you reload. I have seen all sorts of ways people have come up with to remove a stuck case from the chamber but I was thinking a real purpose made extractor would be good insurance to keep in my range box. Do any of you guys do that? Also, I see Brownells sells their own two piece threaded one while all the others I have seen are just one piece drop-in types. Any advantage to the threaded ones? Anybody have experience actually having to use these things? Thinking about .223/5.56, 30-06, and 308 mainly.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    THey work great, but you have to have a cleaning rod to go with them, the ones that supposedly grab the bse and you open the bolt don't work. You cant get enough force with a bolt.
    Just keep a jointed cleaning rod in your shooting kit, that's about the only time Ill use a jointed cleaning rod on a barrel. Or you will see some guys have scope stands that hold a Dewey rod.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Sounds like good advice, thanks. I do keep a cleaning rod in my scope stand as well as a wooden dowel so another good reason to have those in there. Also means a single .30 cal would work for all the variants too. Is the threaded version mainly just to get the extracted case off easier?

Top Bottom