Reloading

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I've been considering reloading on and off for a while. Now that I have two odd ball rounds that I just love shooting, I think its more probable that I may give it a try. I know it won't save me money, because I will just shoot more. I would simply like to feel less guilty when I'm shooting. To start I would load 6.5 Grendel and 300 Blackout. I don't want to resize Ak brass to fit the Grendel nor do I want to cut down 2.23. I just want to recycle the brass as it piles up. I seem to stay pretty busy too so if reloading is a really time consuming activity I may need to reconsider.

Looks like I oppsed there is an ammo and reloading section. Can a mod help me out?

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I moved it for ya.
    I get LC Brass already converted and ready to go 100% from someone. Just needs powder and bullets. Is annealed as well. Was now worth my time as he was doing it right at a good price.
    I do have a few jigs to make brass like 7.62x25 and 300Blk and one other that fits on a HF chop saw.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Thing with reloading is you can custom make your ammo. As well as save $
    Also with the 300 are ya wanting slow sun rounds like 200 grains> or fast 110-125? Ever consider Cast? I know my best Garand loads are some 200 self cast from a custom mold. I am thinking of using it in 300BLK as it shot so clean in the Garand. An AR style rifle should have no problem with them.

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I reload, but do not enjoy it. It is time consuming and I fight the urge to constantly tinker with loads in search of the one perfect load.

My feelings may change soon as I am at a point in my life that I find deer hunting simply is no longer worth the effort, time or money spent. I like shooting my guns not wasting time running the roads and sitting in a box waiting to shoot something. So, I may start burning thru more rounds.

I got started buying used equipment so my return on investment started at a lower round count ;)

Like you, I bought hornady Grendel rounds vs buying brass. Guys on the Grendel forum claim to get 12 reloads on hornady brass and up to 20 on lapua. Since factory ammo and brass is readily available, you are correct to avoid converting x39 brass.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Reloading does take a little time but it's a hobby like anything else. I enjoy the quality time in my barn so not a big deal. You don't have to sit down and load 1000 rounds at a time though either. What no one talks about much is that you can always just load what you shoot. Out of ammo? No big deal just load a few. Beats having to go to the store and hoping they have what you want at a decent price etc. There is a convenience factor that is a real plus.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Thing with reloading is you can custom make your ammo. As well as save $
    Also with the 300 are ya wanting slow sun rounds like 200 grains> or fast 110-125? Ever consider Cast? I know my best Garand loads are some 200 self cast from a custom mold. I am thinking of using it in 300BLK as it shot so clean in the Garand. An AR style rifle should have no problem with them.

I prefer subsonic in the 300blk. Do you have a picture of what you are casting. I think I could be convinced to cast my blk bullets because everything out there in 200+ grains is high power rifle construction and is quite expensive.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Would someone maybe multiple someones kind of give me an idea of the time and expenses to reload X-number and what it would be comparable to?

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Cost: You can pick this apart but it basically comes down to 1/2 price. So for pistol ammo you are saving less per round as compared to rifle so it takes more rounds before you pay for your initial cost for equipment. So lower volume of rifle rounds would pay off the initial expense or it would take many more pistol rounds to do the same.

If you want precision loaded rifle ammo you want a single stage press which is cheaper but it is slower.

If you shoot anything semiauto such as a pistol or AR you are probably going to be chewing up much more ammo much faster than say in a precision bolt action rifle and you are going to want to get a progressive reloading machine. These cost more but your production is VASTLY better, at a bit of reduction in precision. However, for AR blasting ammo or pistol ammo for USPSA / IDPA or just practice it is perfectly fine.

So basically the Equation would be.

Amount of ammo you shoot x cost per round = Store bought total

Initial Investment - 0.5 x Amount of ammo you shoot x Cost per round for store bought ammo = Y

If Y is a negative number then you should reload. My equation does not factor in your time. If you think your time is worth something then add that to the initial investment cost.

I can load 450 rounds an hour of pistol ammo on my Dillion 550B.

I can load about 150 precision rifle rounds an hour on my single stage but I have some "nice to haves" which have a high initial cost but I load enough volume a year that they have more than paid for themselves. Plus I have alot of practice. I'd say starting out figure on 50-75 rounds per hour on a single stage.

The initial investment is going to LARGELY depend on the QUALITY of equipment you buy and that will determine the rate of production. If you are on the fence I'd say don't do it. If you shoot enough to justify it, you probably know and it becomes a necessity. Either due to savings because of the volume you shoot or a need for more accurate ammo custom tailored to your particular firearm.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Cost: You can pick this apart but it basically comes down to 1/2 price. So for pistol ammo you are saving less per round as compared to rifle so it takes more rounds before you pay for your initial cost for equipment. So lower volume of rifle rounds would pay off the initial expense or it would take many more pistol rounds to do the same.

If you want precision loaded rifle ammo you want a single stage press which is cheaper but it is slower.

If you shoot anything semiauto such as a pistol or AR you are probably going to be chewing up much more ammo much faster than say in a precision bolt action rifle and you are going to want to get a progressive reloading machine. These cost more but your production is VASTLY better, at a bit of reduction in precision. However, for AR blasting ammo or pistol ammo for USPSA / IDPA or just practice it is perfectly fine.

So basically the Equation would be.

Amount of ammo you shoot x cost per round = Store bought total

Initial Investment - 0.5 x Amount of ammo you shoot x Cost per round for store bought ammo = Y

If Y is a negative number then you should reload. My equation does not factor in your time. If you think your time is worth something then add that to the initial investment cost.

I can load 450 rounds an hour of pistol ammo on my Dillion 550B.

I can load about 150 precision rifle rounds an hour on my single stage but I have some "nice to haves" which have a high initial cost but I load enough volume a year that they have more than paid for themselves. Plus I have alot of practice. I'd say starting out figure on 50-75 rounds per hour on a single stage.

The initial investment is going to LARGELY depend on the QUALITY of equipment you buy and that will determine the rate of production. If you are on the fence I'd say don't do it. If you shoot enough to justify it, you probably know and it becomes a necessity. Either due to savings or a need for more accurate ammo.

Initial cost is a concern, but the value of my time is my biggest issue. It seems like it could be worth it. I think the single stage would make the most sense for me. With the readily available offerings in steel case being so cheap I doubt it would interest me to load my own 9mm and 223 just yet. But Grendel and 300blk are likely a worth wild endeavor, and 30-06 would be also.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    This is a Obsolete Lyman 311365 From a custom Night Owl ENT Brass mold. Next to some Blem Nosler 300 That mistakingly got a cannelure on the bullets. As they are not supposed to have a cannelure
    The factory made Jacketed is a Honady 168 A Max. As you cab see the extra weight is from not having a boat tail and a larger Ogive, so Over All Length should be close to the same.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I reload, but do not enjoy it. It is time consuming and I fight the urge to constantly tinker with loads in search of the one perfect load.

My feelings may change soon as I am at a point in my life that I find deer hunting simply is no longer worth the effort, time or money spent. I like shooting my guns not wasting time running the roads and sitting in a box waiting to shoot something. So, I may start burning thru more rounds.

I got started buying used equipment so my return on investment started at a lower round count ;)

Like you, I bought hornady Grendel rounds vs buying brass. Guys on the Grendel forum claim to get 12 reloads on hornady brass and up to 20 on lapua. Since factory ammo and brass is readily available, you are correct to avoid converting x39 brass.

Yeah I was looking a Lapua brass and I'll just buy preloaded ammo and shoot that first.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    This is a Obsolete Lyman 311365 From a custom Night Owl ENT Brass mold. Next to some Blem Nosler 300 That mistakingly got a cannelure on the bullets. As they are not supposed to have a cannelure
    The factory made Jacketed is a Honady 168 A Max. As you cab see the extra weight is from not having a boat tail and a larger Ogive, so Over All Length should be close to the same.

Looks good to me but I'm new to all this reloading stuff. You ever buy from someone like Palmetto Projectiles? Looks like they sell for about $.12 per a bullet. Lead with poly coating

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    You can get brass from the guys at http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/ usually for $100 per K
    The guy I get my brass from sells there but i knew him from castboolits. He goes by the name Grumpa. His name is really Matt he lives off grid 100% solar and does great work.
    As far as bullets If i buy i get Nosler off the web store that sells over runs and blems. That site is like 12-14 bucks Shipping but that is a package price, so does not matter if ya get 50 bullets or a whole bunch. When i order from Nolser i get plenty or share the order. Also get an order of Hornady from Cabelas when on sale and pick up or use the shipping deal if more than $100
    As Cabela's had Hornady on sale plenty.
    Nosler site http://www.shootersproshop.com/shooters-pro-shop.html
    2 press set ups on sale

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...ss-kits/_/N-1100195/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104516280

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...ss-kits/_/N-1100195/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104516280
    I favor RCBS stuff since the service is great but that Hornady is just as good and has a digital scale, Bottom line both are good and sinle stage is king with rifle. I do like the Hornady rifle dies better

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Would someone maybe multiple someones kind of give me an idea of the time and expenses to reload X-number and what it would be comparable to?
    Odd ball rounds are more expensive so you save more money by reloading those. Common, relatively inexpensive rounds (5.56 and 9mm), you don't save as much and are arguably as cheap in bulk. You'll do pretty good with the Grendel and Blackout. Start with a single stage press; I like the Hornady presses with the quick cam locks but their are many good single stage presses. Electronic drop scale is a big time saver so pull the 9 penny nail out of the wallet. Powered case prep station is also a big time saver. Since you're not shooting cowboy action you won't do a bunch of trimming so a manual trimmer will work. You can save time by keeping a 'marked' standard case in the die case to make the set up quick. I do have a progressive press for the 45s I shoot most but you can grow into that. As far as cost, it really depends on what kind of components you are using. On the ground range brass is cheap. Starline 308 brass is about .45 a unit; Lapua brass is .84 a unit. Hornady match bullet is .26 a unit; Lapua match bullet is .50 a unit. Primer is about .03 a unit. Lets say powder is another .05. A reloaded 308 can run between $0.80 and $1.40 but you're reusing the brass 6 to 12 times. Hornady 308 Match box ammo is $1.45 a round and Lapua is about $2.20 a round. You can figure out the savings from there. Many sites have 'each' or 'per unit' cost below each bulk cost so you can look the numbers up yourself. Some safety, read the freaking loading manual and stick to the recipes! I keep all my powder away from the reloading bench and only pull the powder I am using, when I am using it. When I'm done I put that powder away and clean everything up. I don't pull another powder until I'm ready to drop it into the case. Most folks get into trouble when they incorrectly load fast burning powders into large capacity cases. You should like what some folks have done to their guns and bodies when loading 45-70 rounds with fast burning powders; it ain't pretty! I love it, good luck.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I looked and did not answer the whole question cost
    http://handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
    That is quick and simple one I have used. The real savings is as stayed by many above. Cartridges that factory cost penty will be the most savings.
    I can load a 300BLK for the same as a .223 a 9mm same as a 45 colt but only because i cast my own 250 grain bullets.
    Only way to know is plug in the cost of what ya use.
    My son works at a tire store and a friend owns one. So it was a no branier for me. Stuff like 44Mag 45 Colt ect really cost same for rifle rounds

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    A couple days at Honey Island would yield more .300 blk out brass than you'll need. Brass being the most expensive component of a cartridge.

I'd suggest a turret style press, but since you're considering .30-06, perhaps a single stage would suit your needs better.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom