Reloading

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    Have you started reloading yet Whitebread? Like you I've been wanting to get into reloading subsonic 300blk and also 308 but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

I'm on the fence about it.
    Do you like it? Can you see yourself continuing to reload?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Have you started reloading yet Whitebread? Like you I've been wanting to get into reloading subsonic 300blk and also 308 but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

I'm on the fence about it.
    Do you like it? Can you see yourself continuing to reload?

I haven't tried it yet. I bought a budget oriented Lee kit about a week and a half ago but I'm on the fence. I did do some shooting so I'm amassing more spent brass. I may get the garage cleaned up next weekend and see what I can do. I'm still in the market for a few things and I need to do a little more research.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I haven't tried it yet. I bought a budget oriented Lee kit about a week and a half ago but I'm on the fence. I did do some shooting so I'm amassing more spent brass. I may get the garage cleaned up next weekend and see what I can do. I'm still in the market for a few things and I need to do a little more research.
    I would sell the scale and get a RCBS or Ohaus brand that is magnetic dampened. If you use Extruded powders with you will with rifle. The lee will be way off with that type. Best 2 powder dispensers are RCBS Uniflow with micro adjust. If cost is a problem a Used Lyman 55 meters well.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans

So you inspired me and I went out and got a Lee single stage press, Hornady dies and some other parts here and there. It wasn't too closely. It was a slow learning process because I wanted to do things stage by stage to perfection and learn. Of course there were a few fails on my part. But I'm now putting out a few 308 win rounds I'm going fire off this weekend. Wish me luck.

How's it going for you Whitebread? Started yet?

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    Here is a example of a failure on my part.
    d5253a7373147f3b13e10fd0459d00e5.jpg

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    Yeah... that was a brain fart and I didn't let the die out all the way and set it correctly. I jumped right in and cranked down on the press. I'm an idiot. Don't that what I did!

Will be shooting out of a Remington 700.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    Question. 308 win. The Lyman book states 2.810 max on the whole bullet size. What's the minimum? Can I be a few mm shorter or do I need to be right at 2.810.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    You are loading ammo for your gun. So you want to 1st be able to have the ammo fit the mags or magwell. That is why 80 grains in an AR have to be feed one at a time.
    Keep in mind as you get shorter you are building pressure. What I do is make a test round no primer/powder as long as I Can. And try it in the gun. You want the bull to just touch the lands or as close as you can get with said bullet. Some will not. All depends on the style and even ogive

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Question. 308 win. The Lyman book states 2.810 max on the whole bullet size. What's the minimum? Can I be a few mm shorter or do I need to be right at 2.810.

Shorter is not a problem, within reason. If a bullet were seated very deep it might have a pressure problem, but it would look screwy. Some bullets are just shorter than others anyway.

Some bullets are not as sensitive to seating depth and some are more sensitive. It has to do with the ogive profile.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Here is a example of a failure on my part.
    d5253a7373147f3b13e10fd0459d00e5.jpg

That's awesome! Once I get my press set up, I'm sure I'll have some fails like this in my learning process. We need to start a reloading fail thread. I think it'll truly help some of us newbies learn what not to do from the get go. Thanks for sharing!

I bought a Lyman turret press, but for precision .308 rounds I'm probably going to pick up a single stage. My question is what processes can I run on the turret press, and which ones need to be done on the single for precise rounds?

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    That's awesome! Once I get my press set up, I'm sure I'll have some fails like this in my learning process. We need to start a reloading fail thread. I think it'll truly help some of us newbies learn what not to do from the get go. Thanks for sharing!

I bought a Lyman turret press, but for precision .308 rounds I'm probably going to pick up a single stage. My question is what processes can I run on the turret press, and which ones need to be done on the single for precise rounds?

I like to think I rather quality over quantity when it comes to my 308 reloads. If I was pressing out 9mm I would have gotten into the turret press. Of course, you can turn your turret press into a single stage by taking out that turning rod right?

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I like to think I rather quality over quantity when it comes to my 308 reloads. If I was pressing out 9mm I would have gotten into the turret press. Of course, you can turn your turret press into a single stage by taking out that turning rod right?

Not sure... I haven't taken it out of the box yet. I have no place to set it up. I should be able to get my bench built and get started in about 2 months.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    I want to say that most pressed I looked at had a rod that turns the turret from stage to stage. If you take that out, it doesn't automatically turn and you can go single stage.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Tuan Yes you can use a turret as a single stage by just not turning it. Most like a single stage and keep one even if the go progressive. Why? Some like to de-cap then clean. Also some brass really puts it on ya to Size, Loading 308 with 7.62x51 cases needs the primer pockets swagged on a press is easy. Ever want to do Case Forming?

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I don't think it automatically turns... I think it's basically like a single stage, but if you don't align the turret perfectly the alignment can be slightly off and that's the reason the single stage is better for precision rifle rounds. From my understanding anyway. When I actually take it out the box and mount it, I'll be sure.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    Tuan Yes you can use a turret as a single stage by just not turning it. Most like a single stage and keep one even if the go progressive. Why? Some like to de-cap then clean. Also some brass really puts it on ya to Size, Loading 308 with 7.62x51 cases needs the primer pockets swagged on a press is easy. Ever want to do Case Forming?

If and when I go to progressive I deathly won't get rid of my single stage.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    So you inspired me and I went out and got a Lee single stage press, Hornady dies and some other parts here and there. It wasn't too closely. It was a slow learning process because I wanted to do things stage by stage to perfection and learn. Of course there were a few fails on my part. But I'm now putting out a few 308 win rounds I'm going fire off this weekend. Wish me luck.

How's it going for you Whitebread? Started yet?

The press is still sitting in the box but I did amass some casings one weekend. Work and family obligations has kept my busy I swear I'm getting around to it.:hsugh:

Top Bottom