Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

.45 ACP recommendation

I owned a Taurus 24/7 .45 compact that I purchased in 2005. It recently had some misfeed issues, so I sent it back to Taurus for a repair.

I called today and they told me that it is part of a class action lawsuit and they cannot repair or release my firearm until the appeals process is finished. At that point I will be able to get a replacement, an extended warranty or $200.

I am going to opt for the $200 and stay away from Taurus. The silver lining is that I need a new gun. I would like to stay in the .45 range. Interested in a glock 21, 41 (gen 4 because I like the grips) or a 1911.

This will be for home defense some target shooting and it needs a rail because it will have a trl 2 HL G streamlight laser/light.

I really like the colt marine 1911 that just came out and I like the g41. Any help is appreciated.

I carry a g19 gen 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jarredelectric; January 5th, 2017 at 07:35 PM.

Marksman
    I have a few 1911s, both Colt & Springfield. Can't say anything bad about any of them. Can't comment on Glocks as I don't own one & have never shot one.

Mary's gone Cedric's next DBMJR1's Avatar
    I am older, and stubborn. I prefer a pistol with a manual safety, if I am not carrying a revolver.

I've got three 1911's and zero Glocks. Also have a couple of revolvers chambered in .45acp.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin

Marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by jarredelectric View Post
    I really like the colt marine 1911 that just came out and I like the g41. Any help is appreciated.

I carry a g19 gen 4.
    G21 because your home defense gun should be the same/similar platform as your carry gun. Going to a SAO platform, cocked and locked, might get confusing at 2:00 am when you hear a thump in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonephish View Post
    G21 because your home defense gun should be the same/similar platform as your carry gun. Going to a SAO platform, cocked and locked, might get confusing at 2:00 am when you hear a thump in the house.
    Meh, he's a big boy... pretty sure he can handle pointing and squeezing lol. It comes down to a personal choice is all. I prefer the 1911 if I'm shooting .45, just because I love them.
    Check out Renegade's BS

I'm pretty sure I could handle realizing that I need to undo the safety. I would practice with a 1911 more since they are so nice to shoot. But is it worth the extra money?

Marksman
    Springfield makes some very good 1911's for the $. They have a few with rails.

Whether it is 'worth the extra money' is really up to you. It is worth it for me. New gun shopping is always fun, hope you get one you like!

Marksman

Premium Member
    A few more to consider would be S&W M&P and Kahr CW45.
    "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!"

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!"

Marksman
    I'm pretty sure I could handle realizing that I need to undo the safety. I would practice with a 1911 more since they are so nice to shoot. But is it worth the extra money?
    So why is the G21 being considered since it's obvious you want a 1911? There are some fine 1911's out there for about the same price as a Glock 21. A Rock Island 1911 goes for $450-$650+, a Kimber $650-$800++, Springfields a little more, etc.

If you're looking to justify buying a Wilson Combat, I say go for it!

I'm really looking to justify the colt marine 1911 close quarters battle pistol for about $1500. It's beautiful. Only 7 rounds in the mag. Have you seen it?

Banned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1248.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	67629

CZ 97?

Jeeper pushed me over the top. I ordered the colt marine 1911. I'll send pics in a few days when it gets to my ffl.

Marksman

Gold Member
    The grips on G21's are pretty massive, even the SF version. If you've got big paws, you might not mind but for me they are a bit excessive.

On the 1911 front I have a Springfield Range Officer Operator which should tick all your boxes. American made, match barrel, rail, etc. It comes with 7rd mags but I use 8rd Chip McCormicks which fit flush, they have 10rd as well if you don't mind it sticking out the bottom. They are around $800 new I believe.

Edit: just saw you went big, congrats! Look forward to seeing it
    Last edited by topgunz1; January 6th, 2017 at 11:26 AM.

Rock out with your Glock out.

Marksman
    I'm really looking to justify the colt marine 1911 close quarters battle pistol for about $1500. It's beautiful. Only 7 rounds in the mag. Have you seen it?
    Yep, Desert sand Cerakote with VZ grips, night sights, rail... 8-round magazines are available everywhere. If you must have a Colt, that one's a beauty!

BUT! For $1500 you can have a Dan Wesson that will hold its value.

LOCAL Fla. Par, Cha. Pres

Premium Member
    Now if you want a full size 45 with a 14+1 capacity go with a EAA SAR K2 45ACP made by Sarsilmaz in Turkey. CGNN still has them for $369.89 + $15 shipping.

Wolf
    .308 Isn't an area code, but it can still make long distance calls.
    How may I help you? Press '1' for English. Press '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English.
    https://gfycat.com/SillyEnormousIntermediateegret

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Bonephish View Post
    Yep, Desert sand Cerakote with VZ grips, night sights, rail... 8-round magazines are available everywhere. If you must have a Colt, that one's a beauty!

BUT! For $1500 you can have a Dan Wesson that will hold its value.
    Always wanted the colt. There's always next year.

Marksman
    Congrats, a Colt should be a great first 1911. But, they are just a bit addictive.

Marksman
    (1) Glock 21. Absolutely reliable, large after market doo-dads and upgrades available, low felt recoil.
    (2) Walther PPQ .45. Great trigger, AWESOME grip, reliable, accurate.

Took it to the range. Ran 107 rounds through it with no issues. Very reliable. Awesome gun.