6 33.33%
  • use a go gauge only to check headspace

0 0%
  • use a no go gauge only

0 0%
  • dont use any gauges, its all mil-spec anyways

12 66.67%

AR Headspacing....

How many guys headspace their rifles? Im leaning towards using Go - no go gauges on future builds. Some say dont, some say they do. Just looking for information on the various opinions.....

Furthermore, I know it takes two minutes to remove extractor and the ejector, but couldn't you just stick the gauge in there and bypass doing so?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by CAJUN83; January 9th, 2017 at 02:23 PM.
    The sanctity, liberty, and freedoms of this nation were brought about by the unselfish, honorable, patriotic, committed, and determined acts of a mere 3%. This three percent didnít let the comforts of life blind them to the eternal significance of freedom.

"The Enabler"

Premium Member
    I headspace all of my Mosin rifles with no go and field guages. The guages I have do not require removing the extractor or ejector.
    "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!"

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!"

Quote Originally Posted by Firearmfanatic View Post
    I headspace all of my Mosin rifles with no go and field guages. The guages I have do not require removing the extractor or ejector.
    which gauges you use? Im assuming okie?
    The sanctity, liberty, and freedoms of this nation were brought about by the unselfish, honorable, patriotic, committed, and determined acts of a mere 3%. This three percent didnít let the comforts of life blind them to the eternal significance of freedom.

Banned
    Could you specify rifle type? If you are talking AR's there is no point unless you bought a barrel blank (my terminology may be suspect).

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebread View Post
    Could you specify rifle type? If you are talking AR's there is no point unless you bought a barrel blank (my terminology may be suspect).
    Thanks Whitebread. Its in the poll, an AR build. Need to put in original post.

"The Enabler"

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAJUN83 View Post
    which gauges you use? Im assuming okie?
    Yep, using the Okie guages. And I appologize, I thought you were talking about all rifles, but you are speaking of AR platform rifles.
    "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!"

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!"

Banned
    Thanks Whitebread. Its in the poll, an AR build. Need to put in original post.
    Yeah I guess I should read closer. There should be no reason to space an AR barrel that comes from the factory with the barrel extension installed. I guess if you don't trust the manufacturer. I assume on could dial in the headspacing (not really sure). I would recommend not screwing with it.

Marksman
    Site Sponsor
    Any barrel from a reputable manufacturer should be good to go. Headspace is set at the factory and cannot be altered on a completed AR15 barrel. Mating the receiver and barrel will not change the headspace. Unless you don't trust the manufacturer there should not be a need to verify it.

That said, if you're only going to get 2 gauges I would get the GO and FIELD/FIELD II and pass on the NO-GO gauge. This will ensure it is within the minimum and maximum acceptable range. A rifle that closes on a NO-GO is not necessarily unsafe to shoot, but if it closes on a FIELD or FIELD II you are likely to see failures when firing.

Sulzer Firearms LLC | 07 FFL | 02 SOT
    11114 Cedar Park Ave Ste B, Baton Rouge, LA 70809
    (225) 395 - 9290 | sales@sulzerfirearms.com
    www.sulzerfirearms.com

Thanks guys. What if you start changing bolt carrier groups? In other words, new barrel but Bcg is different manufacturer
    Last edited by CAJUN83; January 9th, 2017 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks guys. What if you start changing bolt carrier groups? In other words, new barrel but Bcg is different manufacturer
    I have a FIELD if you want to use it ...... as long as i get it back .

Banned
    So long as the bolt matches the barrel chambering it should be gtg.

Quote Originally Posted by MALIBU12 View Post
    I have a FIELD if you want to use it ...... as long as i get it back .
    Thanks buddy I'll keep that in mind

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks all for feedback

On Target
    I once bought a barrel from CMMG. (300 BLK) I didn't have a set of gauges for it and assembled the gun. in the process of assembly something didn't feel right. The barrel extension and barrel weren't tight. The barrel was a full rotation out of the extension with the locator pin loose in the hole. Since then I follow the trust no one approach and check everything regardless of manufacturer after assembly.

While stationed at Ft McClellan I watched the armory swap barrels on the training weapons. No gauges in sight. The Sgt, I think he was a sgt, any way he told me he fires a few test rounds and reads the cases. Fwiw.....
    """ When Donnie speaks, listen! I Do! """

Quote Originally Posted by BigP623 View Post
    I once bought a barrel from CMMG. (300 BLK) I didn't have a set of gauges for it and assembled the gun. in the process of assembly something didn't feel right. The barrel extension and barrel weren't tight. The barrel was a full rotation out of the extension with the locator pin loose in the hole. Since then I follow the trust no one approach and check everything regardless of manufacturer after assembly.
    glad you found that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oppsImissed View Post
    While stationed at Ft McClellan I watched the armory swap barrels on the training weapons. No gauges in sight. The Sgt, I think he was a sgt, any way he told me he fires a few test rounds and reads the cases. Fwiw.....
    thanks

When I replaced the barrel on the Service Rifle used in High Power competition I debated 'gauge or not'.

It boiled down to I had to know. Bought a set of gauges. Followed the YouTube instructions from Brownells. 10 minutes later I knew I was good to go. That alone made it worth it for me.

Hello NSA.

When dearly bought liberties become impediments to "security" and are discarded by police, the terrorists are winning.
    Chris and Jeff Knox