AR Headspacing....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • On a new ar build, whether factory assembled or not, I

• use a go gauge only to check headspace

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • use a no go gauge only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

REDLINE83

AURIBUS TENERE LUPUM
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 9, 2015
    Northshore
    How many guys headspace their rifles? Im leaning towards using Go - no go gauges on future builds. Some say dont, some say they do. Just looking for information on the various opinions.....

Furthermore, I know it takes two minutes to remove extractor and the ejector, but couldn't you just stick the gauge in there and bypass doing so?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Could you specify rifle type? If you are talking AR's there is no point unless you bought a barrel blank (my terminology may be suspect).

REDLINE83

AURIBUS TENERE LUPUM
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 9, 2015
    Northshore
    Could you specify rifle type? If you are talking AR's there is no point unless you bought a barrel blank (my terminology may be suspect).

Thanks Whitebread. Its in the poll, an AR build. Need to put in original post.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Thanks Whitebread. Its in the poll, an AR build. Need to put in original post.

Yeah I guess I should read closer. There should be no reason to space an AR barrel that comes from the factory with the barrel extension installed. I guess if you don't trust the manufacturer. I assume on could dial in the headspacing (not really sure). I would recommend not screwing with it.

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Any barrel from a reputable manufacturer should be good to go. Headspace is set at the factory and cannot be altered on a completed AR15 barrel. Mating the receiver and barrel will not change the headspace. Unless you don't trust the manufacturer there should not be a need to verify it.

That said, if you're only going to get 2 gauges I would get the GO and FIELD/FIELD II and pass on the NO-GO gauge. This will ensure it is within the minimum and maximum acceptable range. A rifle that closes on a NO-GO is not necessarily unsafe to shoot, but if it closes on a FIELD or FIELD II you are likely to see failures when firing.

REDLINE83

AURIBUS TENERE LUPUM
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 9, 2015
    Northshore
    Thanks guys. What if you start changing bolt carrier groups? In other words, new barrel but Bcg is different manufacturer

Last edited:

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    Thanks guys. What if you start changing bolt carrier groups? In other words, new barrel but Bcg is different manufacturer
    I have a FIELD if you want to use it ...... as long as i get it back .;)

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    I once bought a barrel from CMMG. (300 BLK) I didn't have a set of gauges for it and assembled the gun. in the process of assembly something didn't feel right. The barrel extension and barrel weren't tight. The barrel was a full rotation out of the extension with the locator pin loose in the hole. Since then I follow the trust no one approach and check everything regardless of manufacturer after assembly.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    While stationed at Ft McClellan I watched the armory swap barrels on the training weapons. No gauges in sight. The Sgt, I think he was a sgt, any way he told me he fires a few test rounds and reads the cases. Fwiw.....

REDLINE83

AURIBUS TENERE LUPUM
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 9, 2015
    Northshore
    I once bought a barrel from CMMG. (300 BLK) I didn't have a set of gauges for it and assembled the gun. in the process of assembly something didn't feel right. The barrel extension and barrel weren't tight. The barrel was a full rotation out of the extension with the locator pin loose in the hole. Since then I follow the trust no one approach and check everything regardless of manufacturer after assembly.
    glad you found that

- - - Updated - - -

While stationed at Ft McClellan I watched the armory swap barrels on the training weapons. No gauges in sight. The Sgt, I think he was a sgt, any way he told me he fires a few test rounds and reads the cases. Fwiw.....
    thanks

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    When I replaced the barrel on the Service Rifle used in High Power competition I debated 'gauge or not'.

It boiled down to I had to know. Bought a set of gauges. Followed the YouTube instructions from Brownells. 10 minutes later I knew I was good to go. That alone made it worth it for me.

Top Bottom