Be advised: Kidnapping Scam

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    My little brother got a little call this morning...
    The caller, "Robert", says "your brother backed into my brother at a gas station this morning, they had words, my brother pulled out a gun and hit him on the head. He took him back to his apartment and your brother is unconscious and my brother wants money for a new bumper. " Also said "I'm gunna be honest my brother's on drugs and I don't want him to do anything stupid." And "Don't hang up or your brother will get hurt."
    They wanted him to bring like $800 to western union. It was realistic enough that my lil bro got all worked up and he's still sweating bullets. He had to text me and our other brother while still on the phone to figure out it was a scam. Adrenalin dumping like mad.
    I want to make everyone aware. There's a story on NOLA.com from last year, but I had not heard of this. Apparently someone at our church has gotten the same call last week. Dunno if they're running through 504 numbers or what.
    Stay safe out there.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    My Grandmother got a call saying I was in jail in Canada and they needed 3000 to bail me out and don't call my wife because I wanted to keep this private. Same thing, bring money to a western union. She had my grandfather call my wife on the cell phone, who told her I was asleep in bed in the other room. I'm sure there are many variations to this same scam.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Man that's a scam i head about last year was even on the news. Guess the scams go full circle. Getting ready for the IRS. Tickets ya got ya never paid ect.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I'm sorry dude it was just me playing a joke no need to get all worked up and get the cops involved. :rofl:

But seriously the things people will pull.:doh:
    I wonder how many fall for it.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Man thats a scam i head about last year was even on the news. Guess the scams go full circle

Yeah, guess I missed it. I like to think I have a good nose for stuff like that, but man, talking about your brother being in a hostage situation, get your blood boiling like that, I can see how it'd be real easy to stop thinking clearly. It didn't even happen to me, and I'm a little amped up. Looking into it, apparently this is a thing now. They'll say they have his phone and if you try to contact him, he'll be hurt. They'll use personal info and details from facebook to make it seem real. Many variations on this theme.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I think that is what is called a "virtual kidnapping". I think it originally was done by stealing someones cell phone and using the phone as the relative couldn't call the Kidnap Vic to check.

Last edited:

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Had that basic same thing happen to me about a year ago. Wasn't as specific about who it was. Said the guy who was related to me told them my number. Was believable for the first few seconds when they said something about there being an accident. I asked with who. Then the vagueness started.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    This happened to my buddy's dad two years ago. The dad receives a call stating that his two daughters were kidnapped and they wanted money...same ole story. He actually was driving to the bank while calling the police though, who told him not to get money and that it was likely a scam.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Happened to me last year. I was sick in bed with bronchitis and not all there so I believed it for a minute. The call was breaking up and it dropped before they could ask me for money but it took a few calls to my brother and dad to make sure everyone was ok. That combined with the sickness really shook me up. Our secretary's daughter wasn't as lucky and ended up out $900 from basically the same scam.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom