Sig Awarded Military Handgun Contract

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I have a really hard time believing they will introduce a hammerless, safety less, double action only pistol to every swinging dumb f**k E1 or butterbar to end up with 9 toes....
    My .02...

The p320 is striker fired. I think you're confusing it with the similar p250, which is DA only.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    When this new sig frame cracks or gets run over by a vehicle, the armor can just trow the frame in the trash and put a new one on the platform using the removable FCG / S/N / firearm part of the pistol. A new frame will be about $20.

The Sig 320 is a better modular design than any other, has a sweet trigger and a thumb safety is available. This is a wake up call for Glock to improve their platform beyond G4. S&W, HK, Springfield, Ruger & others, didn't make the cut. I bet the poly gun makers will soon follow Sig in the way it's lowers are made.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    The p320 is striker fired. I think you're confusing it with the similar p250, which is DA only.

But that's worse. DAO at least gives you a long firm trigger pull so ever swinging #ick carrying a sidearm has to deliberately pull the trigger all the way back to release the hammer. What makes a good striker fire good, is the short crisp pull/break, but that's precisely what could make a safetiless striker-fired gun like a G-17 dangerous in the hands of every shitbird driving a delivery truck.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The Sig 320 is a better modular design than any other, has a sweet trigger and a thumb safety is available. This is a wake up call for Glock to improve their platform beyond G4. S&W, HK, Springfield, Ruger & others, didn't make the cut. I bet the poly gun makers will soon follow Sig in the way it's lowers are made.

You must live in a Dream World.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It's interesting on whether these are the best guns for the job, or these were strictly based on lobbying and money.

To put it simply: bid is put out with feature requirements and testing protocols. Only entries that past testing and meet requirements are considered, at that point price, deliverability, and maybe a little lobbying/hookers/blow come into play.

Basically it doesn't matter if it's the best gun for the job, just that it's proven it can do the job and the price is right. But the testing criteria is no walk in the park, and they're certainly not putting untested junk in the hands of our soldiers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aboatguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2013
    Army goes to SIG just when NSW decides to go Glock. One of the things that makes me go HMMMMMM WTF!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    But that's worse. DAO at least gives you a long firm trigger pull so ever swinging #ick carrying a sidearm has to deliberately pull the trigger all the .way back to release the hammer. What makes a good striker fire good, is the short crisp pull/break, but that's precisely what could make a safetiless striker-fired gun like a G-17 dangerous in the hands of every shitbird driving a delivery truck.

A Glock has 3 safeties but no traditional external safety like a 1911.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    And unfortunately a manual safety was one of the requirements for the Army contract. I think it's a can't win situation. In the hands of a poorly trained soldier, a Glock is more dangerous outside of combat. And in the hands of an untrained soldier, a manual safety is more dangerous while in combat. Considering the limited combat use handguns see in the modern military, I kinda agree with the decision.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA

HK and Ruger did not participate.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    And unfortunately a manual safety was one of the requirements for the Army contract. I think it's a can't win situation. In the hands of a poorly trained soldier, a Glock is more dangerous outside of combat. And in the hands of an untrained soldier, a manual safety is more dangerous while in combat. Considering the limited combat use handguns see in the modern military, I kinda agree with the decision.

Yeah I think muscle memory is easier to teach than safety when you are working with such widely diverse groups as new recruits. It's important to teach both by no means don't misunderstand me, but failing to take the safety off in drills will get a routine result of your gun not going bang, but in large groups failing to keep your booger hooker where it belongs until ready to fire could go unnoticed until you actually F-up and ND.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Sometimes it is not the best weapon that wins a contract, but the best package. I can recall that on the last pistol competition that Sig came out on top of Beretta, but Beretta had a lesser cost package of accessories/parts/warranties so they were awarded the contract. At the same time NSW looked at the results and selected the Sig p226 as what they would field.

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I just find it funny that they never wanted to even allow Glock into trials, in the past, because it lacked a manual safety. Then, select a pistol with no manual safety.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I just find it funny that they never wanted to even allow Glock into trials, in the past, because it lacked a manual safety. Then, select a pistol with no manual safety.

The P320 Sig developed for the contract has a manual thumb safety (see pics in this thread).

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    Roger that...the ones I've seen all lacked the safety, including the one I put some rounds through this weekend. I didn't know it was going to be offered with a manual safety.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    A Glock has 3 safeties but no traditional external safety like a 1911.

I'm sure everyone has seen by now, but the one offered for the MHS had an external, manual thumb actuated safety.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom