Taxing imports from Mexico to pay for the wall?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Someone explain how adding a tax on items from Mexico makes Mexico pay for anything. I don't get this one.

Mexican producers, growers, financiers, bankers, drug cartels, etc. won't be making 20% more on their **** just because they are Mexicans! So what if Americans have to pay the tariff on our side? We at least now have the "choice" to pay for the tax! If a Mexican tomato cost 20% more before it arrives here, then maybe American growers can offer American grown tomatoes to consumers more readily and more competitively!

To me, as long as the tariff money is actually collected and deposited in the bank with the endorsement on the checks by "Wall Builders, Inc" I am all for it! Do you guys realize that most tariffs in place now don't work because the money is actually stolen by f**king shitbag politicians? I would cite Chinese crawfish meat as the poster example. And that is just a small example!

Any country that maintains a $56 billion dollar trade deficit over the US is a welfare state! F**k them!

PS: I suppose I should also lay the blame where it belongs; the scumbag shitbag politicians that set these trade parameters.

Last edited:

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Mexican producers, growers, financiers, bankers, drug cartels, etc. won't be making 20% more on their **** just because they are Mexicans! So what if Americans have to pay the tariff on our side? We at least now have the "choice" to pay for the tax! If a Mexican tomato cost 20% more before it arrives here, then maybe American growers can offer American grown tomatoes to consumers more readily and more competitively!

To me, as long as the tariff money is actually collected and deposited in the bank with the endorsement on the checks by "Wall Builders, Inc" I am all for it! Do you guys realize that most tariffs in place now don't work because the money is actually stolen by f**king shitbag politicians? I would cite Chinese crawfish meat as the poster example. And that is just a small example!

Any country that maintains a $56 billion dollar trade deficit over the US is a welfare state! F**k them!

PS: I suppose I should also lay the blame where it belongs; the scumbag shitbag politicians that set these trade parameters.

It couldn't have been said better!

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Someone explain how adding a tax on items from Mexico makes Mexico pay for anything. I don't get this one.

There's not much to get, either way Americans pay under this plan.

Mexican goods are taxed, those costs are pushed down to American Consumers, the goods sell successfully and thus Americans funded the wall.

or

Mexican goods are taxed, those costs are pushed down to American Consumers, the goods don't sell and thus Americans fund the wall b/c the govts plan for resources never pans out and we are stuck with the bill since we built the wall with our tax dollars.

And if the mexican goods do not sell, then that really blows a hole in the idea that mexico pays for the wall! They can't pay for it if the goods don't sell...and whether we are given the choice or not seems to be "moving the goal post" so to speak. The campaign promise was never: As your president, I pledge to give Americans the choice of funding the wall or not.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    It does appear that Trump could be using this "plan" as a leverage tool against Mexico....so it's not set in stone or anything that this will become reality.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    another component to the wall that i've been reading is that it's very likely that the govt will have to use eminent domain at some point(s) to get a wall built....I'm not sure that's something I can get behind.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    There's not much to get, either way Americans pay under this plan.

Mexican goods are taxed, those costs are pushed down to American Consumers, the goods sell successfully and thus Americans funded the wall.

or

Mexican goods are taxed, those costs are pushed down to American Consumers, the goods don't sell and thus Americans fund the wall b/c the govts plan for resources never pans out and we are stuck with the bill since we built the wall with our tax dollars.

And if the mexican goods do not sell, then that really blows a hole in the idea that mexico pays for the wall! They can't pay for it if the goods don't sell...and whether we are given the choice or not seems to be "moving the goal post" so to speak. The campaign promise was never: As your president, I pledge to give Americans the choice of funding the wall or not.

Sli, you just make too much sense here. Too bad more cannot grasp it.
    Anyways if we build a great wall, the mexicans/illegals/coyotes will build taller ladders. Or blast a hole in it, or tunnel under it. Either way you still have to monitor 1900 miles of border for breaches and illegal crossings. Better to spend monies on strengthening/adding to the existing fencing, policing the border, more Border Patrol agents, tougher deportation laws and enforcement, and terminate American sanctuary cities or the philosophy of harboring illegals. There are legal procedures/pathways to citizenship, and reasons why we control immigration.

Currently only 700 miles of that 1900 mile border has fencing of some sort.

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Who do y'all think are going to pay for the wall? Put a tarrif on Mexico
    And if Mexican goods become to costly then BUY AMERICAN. It amazes me
    How people want the wall but then complain that we might have to pay
    For the wall.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I don't have the numbers to prove it, but I think that more than enough money can be found to pay for a wall, along with more monitoring and enforcement, by cutting or dissolving some of the wasteful government agencies that we now have.

Last edited:

JustinB

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Metairie
    Tax all the money being sent to Mexico through western union and cut off aid.

People will donate to fund it. Wouldn't be nearly enough to fund it entirely but the wall is basically a one time expense. I guarantee you if he sold a "Trump brick" on his website they would have tens of millions from that alone.

He wrote the art of the deal people. He's getting them to pay one way or another. :)

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Here's a thought. Let's take the quarter billion dollars Obama tried to underhand to Palestine in his last few days and use that as a down payment on the wall. The rest can easily be found by defunding all those "shrimp on a treadmill" studies, "fecal art" humanities grants, and who knows what else we don't even know about. Hey - problem solved.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Who do y'all think are going to pay for the wall? Put a tarrif on Mexico
    And if Mexican goods become to costly then BUY AMERICAN. It amazes me
    How people want the wall but then complain that we might have to pay
    For the wall.

Yeah but Trump flat out stated Mexico was going to pay for the great wall pre election and after. I'll give him some time to perform, we shall see.
    You know, just like he said he was going to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Hillary Clinton if he was elected POTUS.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Yeah but Trump flat out stated Mexico was going to pay for the great wall pre election and after. I'll give him some time to perform, we shall see.
    You know, just like he said he was going to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Hillary Clinton if he was elected POTUS.

All I care about are the SC Justices. The rest is just lagniappe..........

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Yeah but Trump flat out stated Mexico was going to pay for the great wall pre election and after. .

He did say they would pay for the wall. He didn't say they would finance it. If they lose business over the tariff and that business goes to America, then they will be paying for it.

I all seriousness, I'm just glad he appears to be sticking to the better portion of his campaign promises.

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I think of it this way, this president starts off by maybe using tax money to build a wall to curb illegal aliens. Our last president started off using tax money to buy a bunch of old cars and destroying them. So far, I can't find much to complain about.

Last edited:

Coastie Paul

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Slidell, LA
    "A trade deficit of $60 billion/yr. A Mexican economy with 80% export dependency to the U.S.; and $25 billion in transactional U.S. to Mexico remittances subsidizing it’s citizenry.

It’s not even a question that President Trump holds all the leverage..."

I like the analysis done by The Conservative Treehouse.
    https://theconservativetreehouse.co...ident-nieto-hour-long-phone-call/#more-127750

If you haven't seen their stuff on the Trayvon Martin shooting and Benghazi,
    Check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom