.40 reload safety question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CBORNE01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    I have 500 reloads that were loaded for a .40 that I sold. (STI Edge). They were loaded a little long b/c the gun liked them. (All around 1.140 +/- .005, with a a few thousandths below 1.150 ) . The manual calls for 1.135 +/- .0005 for standard OAL.

Question- I have an M&P .40 that will go into battery with these rounds, but just not quite as smooth as a standard sized round. Powder charge was on the low side of SAMI specs,and its loaded with a RN lead bullet, just bullet seated a little long.

Want some guys with more experience than I have to see if they think that it is safe to try and run through the M&P or not before I scrap 500 rds.

Thanks

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    i would load several mags full and manually cycle the slide while checking to make sure the slide goes all the way forward. try that with about 50-100 rounds and if they all feed and the slide goes into battery then you should be good to go. if they are too long and you are on the low side of the powder charge like you say you are i don't see why you could not put them back on your reloading press and seat them another .005 lower unless you crimped them really hard. not the ideal situation but but it should not hurt anything and better than scrapping 500rds. just shoot them slowly for practice.

CBORNE01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Thanks for the reply, they are crimped, that's why I didn't. Those were my thoughts as well, but I figured its not a bad idea to get some feedback.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Are they roll crimped or did you use a lee factory crimp die on them? If roll crimped you run the risk of ripping the jacket but if taper crimped with a lee fcd you should be ok running them back through the seating die.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I assume you tapper crimped ti remove the bell?
    Or was it a Lee FCD?
    Long is OK as long as it works in your gun, and bullet has proper retention in case without heavy crimp. Short has more pressure

CBORNE01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    They are taper crimped, but seem to run well when manually cycled. I don't think it will be an issue,but never hurts to get a few opinions.
    thanks for your help.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Corey, just do what V/S told you to do by resetting the seating die. I've done the same thing to shorten rounds.

Beauxdog

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    SAAMI COL is 1.085-1.135", but for the reloader, all that matters is getting a COL that feeds and chambers in their gun and working up the load at that COL (remember, you are not loading for ALL guns, only YOUR guns).
    In my main .40 S&W, the throat is long, so I load as long as 1.225".
    If the load was light and safe in the other gun and the rounds feed and chamber, go shot them. I really don't see what the issue is.
    Shortening the rounds will:
    1) raise the pressure slightly
    2) almost certainly damage the bullet to some extent
    3) a waste of time if the existing rounds feed and chamber

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom