Renewal questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tudobem

Non-conformist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Hammond
    My wife and I have current permits that expire in July. I have 3 questions:

Best way to submit renewal application; online, or in person at LSP HQ?

I am an honorably discharged veteran with a copy of my DD-214. Does the fee waiver include a lifetime permit?

Do we have to wait until 120 days prior to expiry, or should we submit early due to the long wait times?

bsramzy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    prairieville

I am an honorably discharged veteran with a copy of my DD-214. Does the fee waiver include a lifetime permit?

Do we have to wait until 120 days prior to expiry, or should we submit early due to the long wait times?

We did online (myself and the wife ) and uploaded all documentation. It was quick and painless. no need for fingerprinting again.

The online system wont let you renew until it is a minimum of 120 days exactly.

Sorry, I cant help with the other question.

TLBR

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA

1. Online
    2. Yes, but you still need to recertify every five years, and you wouldn't be able to use your permit in lieu of a NICS check when you buy a gun.
    3. Yes, you will need to wait 120 days

RobertinBR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2017
    Baton Rouge
    As a Honorably Discharged Veteran, your fees are waived, even for a Lifetime permit. My wife and I was both Veterans and our DD-214 was our "payment". I would include that with your renewal application, and you should get a notice from them that your fees are waived on that basis. If you get an email asking for payment after that, I would email them and let them know you're a veteran and your DD-214 was included with your renewal application.

Shadeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Hammond
    1. Online
    2. Yes, but you still need to recertify every five years, and you wouldn't be able to use your permit in lieu of a NICS check when you buy a gun.
    3. Yes, you will need to wait 120 days

I thought with the newer permits a NICS was eliminated. My current permit won't eliminate the NICS check but when I renew it should. Or so I was told.

FRC Indoor Range

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2017
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The 5 year permit issued after NOV of 2015 can suffice instead of a NICS background check. The life time will not. With a DD-214 both the life time and the five year are free of charge, but both require you to take a renewal class every 5 years. So since they are both free, it's better to go with the 5 year. Submitting online and in person is the quickest way from what we have learned. One of our students got her permit in 19 days this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    The 5 year permit issued after NOV of 2015 can suffice instead of a NICS background check. The life time will not. With a DD-214 both the life time and the five year are free of charge, but both require you to take a renewal class every 5 years. So since they are both free, it's better to go with the 5 year. Submitting online and in person is the quickest way from what we have learned. One of our students got her permit in 19 days this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

I've said in previous posts as well, the 5 year is the way to go... with the lifetime, you still recert every 5 years and you DO NOT get the benefit of bypassing the background check with the 4473.

Delivering in person is the fastest way to get a return.

Shadeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Hammond
    I have begun to renew mine on line which expires in June. I need the qualification and I'm good to go. I live in Hammond and have always gone to The Shooters Club. I called them today to see if I could get this taken care of during the week since I have a project not 5 minutes from them thus avoiding the hour drive on Saturday. The man I spoke with said I could, after contacting the man who would sign off and give the class. Long story short when I told him it expired in June he said the State prefers I not apply sooner than 90 days before expiration. He said call back in mid April. Go figure:twitch:

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    Mine doesn't expire till July 20. I figured I'd give the online renewal a try last night. It went through just fine.... I figured if it didn't like the timing it would have stopped me?
    That being said I haven't received the email about how to pay yet either. They may send me an email saying to resubmit later.

tudobem

Non-conformist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Hammond
    Mine doesn't expire till July 20. I figured I'd give the online renewal a try last night. It went through just fine.... I figured if it didn't like the timing it would have stopped me?
    That being said I haven't received the email about how to pay yet either. They may send me an email saying to resubmit later.

I submitted both of our renewal applications online. Hers was accepted the very next day and I made the payment. Will update how long it actually takes to receive her new one. She has a squeaky clean record, so no issues getting a quick acceptance. I had a minor legal issue in the past that required additional documentation, but did not prevent receiving my initial permit, so I expect my acceptance soon. Will also update how long it takes for mine.

I decided to go with the 5 year renewal instead of the lifetime. FWIW, I found out that even with an honorable discharge as a veteran, the fee is not totally waived, but rather cut in half, so would be $250 for a lifetime permit rather than $125 for a 5 year. I decided to go with the 5 year not only for the lower cost, but also as we plan to move out of state at some point, which would nullify a lifetime permit anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom