Could use some life advice....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    So I've done nothing but work on cars my whole life. I(Have ASE certs if it matters) I'm 33 and not where I want to be in life, and have really been thinking about how much I'd prefer to keep the car stuff as a hobby and get away from it for a living. Could anyone offer some no ********, serious advice on how to go about making a career change at this point. I'd like to get into some sort of construction related field, considering I love to work with my hands. I just feel there could and probably is a much brighter future for me in it.

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    hmmmm well hate to start this in this subject but hows your finances... married? kids? a lot of credit card debt? only reason I ask is because of in the construction field you usually start off at the bottom and if you are at a premium in the auto mechanic field, it might be a blow to your income. I have worked as a industrial electrician/instrument tech contractor for around 11 years started out as a base helper started at $9 an hour and left as a supervisor $30 plus, and took every bit of 11 years to make it there for me, some made it faster and some a lot slower. I am now in plant operations for the last 5 years, a totally diff animal working shift work and the way the overtime is factored in, but it pays great and ins and 401K are amazing. I loved construction, I loved working with my hands and at the end of a job being able to say I built this... and my unit is very labor intensive so I still get the best of both worlds I feel, get to work with my hands a lot staying busy but get the nice down time of nights when the units are running good. I talked to a few of my buddies the other day still doing E&I work and I think they said starting helpers now start out at around 16-18 an hour I think... and most of your companies now like isc,shaw,tmc,westgate,triad,mmr will pay you to go to school on nights to help you pass your NCCER certifications to get top money, and get a certificate.. just a thought, I know if you arnt happy now, theres a good chance you wont be happy if you try to stick it out, and the good thing you got is EVERY BODY NEEDS MECHANIC WORK!!!!! even if you have to take a pay cut for a while you can always make up the slack with some side mechanic work... you make some extra money and save your clients a little off of the premium price they would pay at a shop

Last edited:

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I'm not making much of **** lately. I'm banking around 4-500/wk, credit is ****ed, and I got 2 kids I'm supporting... I'm pretty much at the point where, any move is probably a good move right now.... Going into construction or maybe renewing my twic and going to a plant would prolly put me in the 11-15/hr range which would actually be a pay raise at this point. The shop I'm at now does strictly Mustang Performance. We don't do anything but build high HP race/street cars... It's fun, but I gotta worry about moving up financially in life... And yeah I'll definitely do side work. That I don't mind at all.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Construction work is a broad field, so there are a lot of options as to where you might be able to get involved. If you like more detailed work, then finish carpentry and cabinet making are where you focus on the finer aspects of the trade. But you can probably get started just finding a contractor who is starting a house project and work as a grunt. You'll have to start somewhere, and work your way up. If you show aptitude and good work ethics, opportunities to learn and move up will present themselves. The construction field can be frustrating, though. It's full of fits and starts, rain and other delays. You'll have a lot slow times where the work just isn't available, or stalled for various reasons, then times where there is a big push to get something done asap, so you're busting your butt trying to get a job done, working extended hours maybe, etc. To stay employed sometimes you might need to be willing to travel some, the more flexible you are in that way the more you can stay employed. But if you get established within an area with a skill set and good references, you can call your own shots more in terms of where and how much you work. It will take time to get there, and you will find getting started will be very grueling and hard labor at times, just hauling materials around, digging holes, and doing grunt work if you have no other experience. But if you show any competency, you can get opportunities for more productive work that may be more satisfying to you. There are also lot's of sub-contractor parts of the business, plumbing, electrical, AC/heating, etc. So if you find a field you want to learn more and develop specific skill sets, you can go that route. It's a competitive field for labor, lot's of illegals who work very cheap. But if you have a well developed skill set and can get the experience, then there will be demand for your talents. Good luck.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Ok no bull$hit. Life is too short to not like your job, but changing careers means you start from the bottom. If there is a way to learn a new trade on your off time you may be able to keep from going backwards in the money department. Also deciding on a trade that your current skills can be used at would give you a lot title bit of a leg up.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    you could easily bank over 500 a week after taxs,ins,401k, in the industrial field , now I was E&I , but if you are very meticulous, they have millwrights, instrument tech ect... any thing industrial will blow any commercial/residential pay out of the water... especially if you get on with a little 3-6 month 7-12 turn around, could make some much needed bank... I would imagine with your age, mechanical aptitude(which you gotta have to build race cars lol) you deff wouldn't start out as a bottom end helper. nobody in hr will listen to what you have done, what you can do, and how you can learn and put you at the bottom of the ladder... just saying

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    this is true, we have prob 200 trucks,forklifts,golfcarts, ect that the plant owns, not rentals, and we have a big shop where they repair them, idk what they pay, but I would think in the plant and industrial it would be more than the 500-600
    Ok no bull$hit. Life is too short to not like your job, but changing careers means you start from the bottom. If there is a way to learn a new trade on your off time you may be able to keep from going backwards in the money department. Also deciding on a trade that your current skills can be used at would give you a lot title bit of a leg up.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yeah I've turned in several apps over the last few days. I think the hardest part will be landing an interview then actually explaining my position and reasons for leaving automotive. I'm thinking I may go this week sometime to get my twic card renewed and find out what plants are in the general Nola area and try there as well...

Last edited:

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Try Aviation? Maybe get your A&P license? May go to the Naval Station in Belle Chase. Se if they have contract labor to maintain equipment and vehicles? I remember going to Ft Polk and everyone in the motor pool was civilian contract workers. That was 20 years ago, don't know if they still do that. Check with ambulance/ police departments maybe the railroad co. I did fleet work in my career. Good luck, stay positive if you interview. Don't make people have to pull info out of you, show you can be a leader , but not cocky. Good Luck!!

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I'll mirror previous statements that plant work is a solid option for maximizing income. I'm sure contractors in the BR area and surrounding areas are looking for as much help as they can get rebuilding flooded houses, and I imagine that work won't run dry for several years. Good luck!

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    When the offshore field gets better again they like to hire ex mechanics.
    Also the NDT (non destructive testing) field is a booming industry and you can make good money at that in our area. I don't know of any craft in plants/refineries that don't make at least what your making now so go for it and make a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If you are already a qualified mechanic you may be interested in working as a Millwright. A Millwright is basically a Precision Mechanic who works rebuilding, installing, aligning, Pumps/Compressors/Turbines and other mechanical equipment.

The Key Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2013
    Gretna, LA
    You may want to check with Nunez College in Chalmette. They have a program where they are working with several area plants to have people trained or certified for different positions.
    I think there are some plants are factories where you work and go to school at the same time.
    Good luck.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    As a life long auto tech I hate to see income figures that low. We are a rapidly aging workforce in need of young blood. At 500.00 per week I can't blame you for leaving. If you really like knucklebusting on cars find out from the tool trucks guys what the scoop is with other shops.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom