Friend has a issue possibly got his GUN STOLEN ..any law enforcement here?advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BRgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Baton rouge
    Bobby asked his childhood friend Mike if he can store his gun at his house for a few weeks because he was going to new York to care for his sick mother and couldn't take the gun with him..Bobby ended up staying in new York for a year to care for his mom..

Well Bobby unfortunately buried his mom 2 months ago and he's been back in lousiana for a month now trying to recover his gun..Mike is still in lousiana but has sence moved to a different part of the state..while Bobby was in new York he has always been in touch with Mike and made sure his gun was safe..

This past month Mike has been ignoring Bobby's calls to recover the gun and bobby had had enough and would like to know if he can report Mike to the police and report his gun stolen?..

Would this turn into a civil matter?

Last edited:

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    ^^^^ this dude here.

Any way you cut its its a stolen gun. Once civil but now the intent to deprive is there. Id make a report with the local authorities and have my gun listed as stolen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    think I would tell my "friend" hey I been trying to contact you, I picked up a few more guns but gotta go outta town again, can you hold these also? then handle it then.....

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Cool story Bro

Why's it always the new guys on their first post? I'm sure it's a "friend"...

^^^^ this dude here.

Any way you cut its its a stolen gun. Once civil but now the intent to deprive is there. Id make a report with the local authorities and have my gun listed as stolen.

I'd report it (like the cop said).... If you know who has it, then it will definitely make it easier for them to track down. Hope the low life didn't sell it!

George, I think you can remove the last line of your signature now :mamoru:

Persecutor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2015
    Denham Springs, La
    Report it. For a few technical reasons, it is not a Theft, but it is Unauthorized Use of a Movable, and the firearm can be put into NCIC as stolen. If the value of the gun is $500 or more it is a felony, Less than $500 is a misdemeanor. You will need to be able to prove that "Mike" is aware that "Bobby" has returned and wants the weapon back. Also, be prepared to have documentation that you are the owner.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Looks like this might fit too.

§67.15. Theft of a firearm
    A. Theft of a firearm is the misappropriation or taking of a firearm which belongs to another, either without the consent of the other to the misappropriation or taking or by means of fraudulent conduct, practices, or representations. An intent to deprive the other permanently of the firearm is essential.
    B. For purposes of this Section, "firearm" means a shotgun or rifle, or a pistol, revolver, or other handgun.
    C.(1) For a first offense, the penalty for theft of a firearm shall be imprisonment with or without hard labor for not less than two years nor more than ten years, without the benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence and a fine of one thousand dollars.
    (2) For a second offense, the penalty for theft of a firearm shall be imprisonment with or without hard labor for not less than five years nor more than fifteen years, without the benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence and a fine of two thousand dollars.
    (3) For a third and subsequent offense, the penalty for theft of a firearm shall be imprisonment at hard labor for not less than fifteen years nor more than thirty years, without the benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence and a fine of five thousand dollars.
    Acts 1994, 3rd Ex. Sess., No. 122, §1; Acts 2000, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 116, §1.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    Report it. For a few technical reasons, it is not a Theft, but it is Unauthorized Use of a Movable, and the firearm can be put into NCIC as stolen. If the value of the gun is $500 or more it is a felony, Less than $500 is a misdemeanor. You will need to be able to prove that "Mike" is aware that "Bobby" has returned and wants the weapon back. Also, be prepared to have documentation that you are the owner.
    I have to disagree. It is a theft of a firearm. The intent is there. Felony is over 750 now.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Bobby brought the gun to Mike, how can it be stolen? How can intent be proven? Mike just doesn't answer the phone. Could be a lot of reasons he doesn't answer. The correct thing for Bobby to do is to go down to his local law enforcement agency and report what happened. If they consider it stolen, they will try to find Mike. If not, at least he would have a record of who has the gun in case it turns up at a crime scene. Then if he is advised by his local agency that it is a civil matter, he can go from there.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    Bobby brought the gun to Mike, how can it be stolen? How can intent be proven? Mike just doesn't answer the phone. Could be a lot of reasons he doesn't answer. The correct thing for Bobby to do is to go down to his local law enforcement agency and report what happened. If they consider it stolen, they will try to find Mike. If not, at least he would have a record of who has the gun in case it turns up at a crime scene. Then if he is advised by his local agency that it is a civil matter, he can go from there.
    Thats why i said make a report. He shows that he has tried several times to contact him to no avail, then obviously the intent to keep the gun can be proven. Theft of a firearm. Let him tell the judge why he wont return the gun.

Top Bottom