Question about a concealed weapon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    A friend of mine asked me a question today , and I was not sure of the answer . Can an individual who does NOT possess a CHP , carry a concealed handgun on his person , while on his own property ? What about that same individual riding in his vehicle ?

IGCHRIS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Madisonville
    That's because an exemption does not exist. A concealed weapon is a concealed weapon no matter where you are.

LRS 40:1379.3

(2) A Louisiana resident shall be required to possess a valid concealed handgun permitissued by the state of Louisiana pursuant to the provisions of this Section in order to carry aconcealed handgun in the state of Louisiana.

You also have 1309

B. A permit shall grant statewide authority to a permittee to carry and conceal on his person,in the manner prescribed by law and these rules, a handgun as defined by R.S. 40:1379.3(J)(1). Apermit shall grant a permittee only the authority to carry a concealed handgun as a private citizenand grants no special authority to any citizen issued the permit.

And the list could go on.

Now there are exceptions as to who may carry w/o a CHP.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Ahhhhh... question of the day!

Is carrying a weapon in a purse considered "Concealed"? If so, why wouldn't a case or range bag be considered the same?

If so, then wouldn't anyone traveling from their vehicle to the range and back (for instance), be breaking the law?

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Again I ask the great minds of Bayou Shooter why do we infringe on the basic rights of a free people only to make the laws in a way that provides massive loopholes?

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    The reason is that the majority of people don't know, or care, about the nuances of this issue. Reference the NOLA CoP statements about guns recently. Cops want a law to bust crooks and make people safe. People want to feel the Gub'ment is keeping them safe with some legislation. Legislators want to legislate. The enthusiasts (not the best word probably) reading this are the only ones that actually pay any attention to the details.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Not in Louisiana. You cannot carry concealed without a CHL.

Correct. Carrying a concealed weapon is against the law unless the individual holds a permit. Carrying in a purse, bag, tote, etc is still concealed and is thus against the law.

A weapon concealed entirely within a vehicle is legal. You can have a gun in a box, bag, etc inside of you car provided it is not being carried and on your person.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Correct. Carrying a concealed weapon is against the law unless the individual holds a permit. Carrying in a purse, bag, tote, etc is still concealed and is thus against the law.

A weapon concealed entirely within a vehicle is legal. You can have a gun in a box, bag, etc inside of you car provided it is not being carried and on your person.

If this possible loophole did not exist how could one without a permit get said weapon in the range bag to and from the car without committing a felony? I wouldn't be willing to gamble I were right, but if you follow logic you will reach the same conclusion. Ive been on ranges were you can't even touch your gun unless your toes are on the line and the range is hot. If you follow that logic and contend on ones person is to include being carried to the firing line in the range bag. Their policy is to force every non CHP holder to commit a crime.

Again I will ask why do we allow laws that infringe on free men and woman's rights when it's so easily neutered by law abiding people. Bare in mind we are ignoring the fact that the dirtbags of the world don't care what the law says.

Last edited:

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    It was my thinking that by definition, concealing a firearm is to hide the fact that a firearm is there. Carrying in a gun case/range bag does not conceal the fact that a firearm is present, it instead screams that a firearm is present and thus does not warrant an illegally concealed firearm charge. Just my two cents.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    It was my thinking that by definition, concealing a firearm is to hide the fact that a firearm is there. Carrying in a gun case/range bag does not conceal the fact that a firearm is present, it instead screams that a firearm is present and thus does not warrant an illegally concealed firearm charge. Just my two cents.

So thoughts on a 5.11 briefcase? Or my personal favorite a tommy gun case that looks like a violin case? Gun backpack? Hell even some of my factory cases look like tool cases. To the average Jimmy dip$hit they don't know what it is even a good range bag could be mistaken for a camera bag, but you and I would know. Purses made specifically for carrying a gun are a dead giveaway to the guy who recognizes it. Hell even some guys who think they a concealing their guns that are printing harder than a yoga instructor who forgot her undies. And non of this prevents a non-CHP holder who happens to own an SBR from carrying it in a briefcase because it's not a hand gun by definition. No matter how you look at it the law is arbitrary and is only used to pacify the stupid and criminalize an inalienable right.

But these are the ramblings of a cranky white man, so politicians won't listen.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom