Question about a concealed weapon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    So what exactly is your point? It isn't legal until you have your tax stamp documentation in hand from the BATFE.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/05/jeremy-s/nfa-for-beginners-form-1-to-manufacture-an-nfa-item/

"As we’ve seen in the whole Sig/SB Tactical pistol brace debacle, *intent* is crucial with the ATF and the NFA. Nothing proves this more than what is referred to as *constructive possession.* Simply put, a violation of the National Firearms Act — in this example, possession of an unregistered NFA item (10 years Federal prison) — doesn’t only happen if you configure an NFA firearm without approval. As far as the ATF is concerned, it happens if you merely possess the parts required to assemble such a firearm prior to Form 1 approval."

My point is once you legally make it no longer "handgun" there is no apparent law against it. So you take your glock17 or whatever tickles your pickle legallyl convert it to an SBR and now you could legally conceal your ____ (insert favorite pistol-rifle conversion here).

My point is the law is ill-conceived and poorly executed. It has no decernable benefits and only hinders the law abiding who can't or won't jump through the useless hoops. Obviously it impeaded you from concealing a weapon in your livingroom when sounds like you would have been more comfortable if you could have.

Look I'll jump through hoops, sit up and beg, rollover, play dead, etc. to keep being able to protect me and my family but when it's so poorly conceived and so **** poorly executed don't expect me not to point it out.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I think you guys are way overthinking this. Intent works both ways. Stop and ask yourself...what is the INTENT of this law? How does it affect ME? Yes, technically it's illegal to carry firearms concealed in a range bag. It's also illegal to carry concealed in your home. So being part of the law-abiding gun community, why aren't we reading stories on BS everyday of upstanding citizens getting arrested at the range? Or cops busting into people's houses to arrest them for concealing a firearm? I'll tell you why...because it's not happening. Unless you are doing something shady, there's no good reason cops should be in your house looking for concealed firearms. Hell, last I heard Louisiana still has sodomy laws on the books. Do they bust down doors of gay couples and haul them to jail? Nope. But when they catch Gary and Steve on the roof of the rest stop going at it in front of the kiddies, that stupid law makes at least a little more sense.

They haven't fixed the law, because it hasn't caused any problems. If it does cause a problem, then it will get addressed in the courts.

But the problem is as a few LEO have mentioned before their job isn't to pick and choose what laws to enforce, but to enforce the laws on the books and a Judge's is not to legislate from the bench but to interpret the law and as you and I have interpreted the law if required a judge would logically reach the same conclusions now what he does from there is up to him. He could just as easily suspend the sentence because it's stupid but with out legislating from the bench like you constantly hear conservatives like me rail against. His job would be to find a otherwise law abiding citizen guilty of breaking a stupid law.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Remember we are a country of laws. Law is supposed to be a dispassionate dispenser of justice. If you break a stupid law you have still broken a law. I have to remind myself of this every time I have to pay a speeding ticket. :rolleyes:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Again, tell me how the specific laws being discussed have proven to be a problem. Not in theory or ideology...in reality. Let's see some news stories or case law where a law-abiding citizen was just sitting on the couch watching TV when he was arrested for concealed carrying a firearm.

Laws aren't perfect. Everyone knows that, including those who write them, and those who enforce them. That's precisely why systems are in place for laws to change and evolve when necessary. They will not, however, change laws based on people whining on the internet.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    My point is once you legally make it no longer "handgun" there is no apparent law against it. So you take your glock17 or whatever tickles your pickle legallyl convert it to an SBR and now you could legally conceal your ____ (insert favorite pistol-rifle conversion here).

My point is the law is ill-conceived and poorly executed. It has no decernable benefits and only hinders the law abiding who can't or won't jump through the useless hoops. Obviously it impeaded you from concealing a weapon in your livingroom when sounds like you would have been more comfortable if you could have.

Look I'll jump through hoops, sit up and beg, rollover, play dead, etc. to keep being able to protect me and my family but when it's so poorly conceived and so **** poorly executed don't expect me not to point it out.

I don't know where you get your information from but you cannot legally carry a loaded SBR concealed on your person in Louisiana. You seem to be implying if I make my Glock 17 a legal SBR via BATFE tax stamp/approval and a shoulder stock, I can now legally carry it concealed on my person. Where do you get this stuff/legal advice from?

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I don't know where you get your information from but you cannot legally carry a loaded SBR concealed on your person in Louisiana. You seem to be implying if I make my Glock 17 a legal SBR via BATFE tax stamp/approval and a shoulder stock, I can now legally carry it concealed on my person. Where do you get this stuff/legal advice from?

I know of no law that prevents long guns from being concealed only handguns. Again not legal advice. Just enjoy picking apart bull$hit laws.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Yes, technically it's illegal to carry firearms concealed in a range bag. It's also illegal to carry concealed in your home.

So ur telling me when I carry my unloaded AR 15 in a zipped range bag in my car trunk in Louisiana, to and from the range I am violating the law?

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Again, tell me how the specific laws being discussed have proven to be a problem. Not in theory or ideology...in reality. Let's see some news stories or case law where a law-abiding citizen was just sitting on the couch watching TV when he was arrested for concealed carrying a firearm.

Laws aren't perfect. Everyone knows that, including those who write them, and those who enforce them. That's precisely why systems are in place for laws to change and evolve when necessary. They will not, however, change laws based on people whining on the internet.

I don't just whine on the interwebz I've written state law makers. The bill to repeal the CHP requirement died in committee last year. And as far as I know you are correct there haven't been any cases where a citizen was charged under the circumstances previously discussed and likely never will be, but what happens when the political climate shifts to resemble California or Maryland? By the time it shifts it will be too late for us to fix. At that point all these wackos would need is to make it impossible to apply for or renew your permit again if the political environment has shifted that far, too bad so sad. It's fun to dismiss people like me as ideologues or nuts or people who enjoy dreaming up scenarios that "would never happen" until they happen.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    So ur telling me when I carry my unloaded AR 15 in a zipped range bag in my car trunk in Louisiana, to and from the range I am violating the law?

No but your handgun would be in violation outside the trunk of your car.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I know of no law that prevents long guns from being concealed only handguns. Again not legal advice. Just enjoy picking apart bull$hit laws.

You got one thing right, BS! Here read this and educate yourself. Notice it states "concealed firearms".

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/open-and-concealed-gun-carry-laws-louisiana.htm#

No but your handgun would be in violation outside the trunk of your car.

I was addressing speedracer.....not the king of BS here.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

Nope. But if you were carrying your range bag with a firearm in it, technically that is "on your person". Inside your car, you can do whatever the hell you want unless the gun is concealed on your person. Range bag on the passenger seat, fine and dandy. Now if it was on your lap, well I guess that would get weird in terms of interpretation, whether that was considered on your person or not.

I'm not saying any of this **** makes sense...I'm just saying it causes a lot more meaningless conversation than it does actual problems.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    You got one thing right, BS! Here read this and educate yourself. Notice it states "concealed firearms".

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/open-and-concealed-gun-carry-laws-louisiana.htm#

I was addressing speedracer.....not the king of BS here.

Read the law for yourself it doesn't say anything about firearms, only "handguns" that's what it's a Concealed Handguns Permit!

LRS 40:1379.3

(2) A Louisiana resident shall be required to possess a valid concealed handgun permitissued by the state of Louisiana pursuant to the provisions of this Section in order to carry aconcealed handgun in the state of Louisiana.

Call me what ever you like. The number one thing people make fun of here is the misnomer CCW license that's because it ain't a concealed carry weapon license it's a Concealed Handgun Permit.

Feel free to find a law that prevents concealing a "long gun".

John you are welcome to crown me prince of Wales but that doesn't change the fact you link a site that can't keep it straight: is it a ccp or a CHP. I think that alone would tell you the value of your site.

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

Section A1

1216dc483423460fd34abcb60d60a7b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Section A1

1216dc483423460fd34abcb60d60a7b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like more poorly worded laws to me. But you made your point apparently my permit gives me permission to conceal my 9mm hand gun but not my rifles, pocket knives, keys pens, pincels, brass knuckles, nun-chucks, or tridents. :rofl:

My premise stands however.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Nope. But if you were carrying your range bag with a firearm in it, technically that is "on your person". Inside your car, you can do whatever the hell you want unless the gun is concealed on your person. Range bag on the passenger seat, fine and dandy. Now if it was on your lap, well I guess that would get weird in terms of interpretation, whether that was considered on your person or not.

I'm not saying any of this **** makes sense...I'm just saying it causes a lot more meaningless conversation than it does actual problems.

Yes, I definitely see ur point there.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land

So, The way I carry my kershaw Ken onion series (spring assisted) clipped on the inside of my pocket is technically illegal. I've never had an issue with this other than walking into clubs and being told to bring it to my car... But, If I was ticketed for this I would be pissed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom