Question about a concealed weapon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    You know I was always tought to be the weapon using a tool not the other way around, so I suppose since I'm a weapon and not a tool and I'm not a handgun (opinions may vary) I can't conceal myself either.:rofl:

And now we're back to interpretation of the law. What is the intended use of the "weapon"?

You better not join the KKK, then you're a concealed weapon!

Last edited:

Wilson54

MS-Deltan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Louisiana
    "I" am the one that posed this question to DantheMan. It went kinda like this. "If I can open carry a sidearm on my OWN PROPERTY (and as elsewhere in LA) while mowing the lawn, then decide it's a little chilly and go in and put on a jacket (WITHOUT A CCW) to finish mowing, is that legal"? Personally, to me, it is. Just wanted to be sure. I don't think any Sheriff or Deputy in the Southern states would give you any static about it unless you are acting malicious or maniacal (notwithstanding a rookie cop). Just couldn't find the answer to this in any search that pinpoints THIS scenerio.
    Thanks Dan! Let's go soon! WJ

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    "I" am the one that posed this question to DantheMan. It went kinda like this. "If I can open carry a sidearm on my OWN PROPERTY (and as elsewhere in LA) while mowing the lawn, then decide it's a little chilly and go in and put on a jacket (WITHOUT A CCW) to finish mowing, is that legal"? Personally, to me, it is. Just wanted to be sure. I don't think any Sheriff or Deputy in the Southern states would give you any static about it unless you are acting malicious or maniacal (notwithstanding a rookie cop). Just couldn't find the answer to this in any search that pinpoints THIS scenerio.

I think you should be OK. I wouldn't worry bout being hassled on your own property even though the law doesn't agree with it.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA

Technically speaking, that is concealed and not "legal" by LA standards.

However, I have personally been pulled over while OC on a motorcycle. Wind blew my jacket over the pistol and the officer asked for my CHL. Simply explained what happened and he went on with the traffic stop. Now if I were being an ass, then it probably would've gone another way.

This thread has taken a hard left turn...as usual. Those going on about range bags and whatnot. Are you guys walking around carrying your range bags? Going to work, shopping, the mall, etc carrying them? If the answer is no, then why is this even being brought up?

Off body carry is pretty simple if you don't sit here and try to over complicate life.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Ok so we are mostly in agreement that these two laws bring into question the legality of carrying guns in cases, bags, purses, boxes, ect, but we doubt the likelihood of enforcement ever being a problem. I happen to agree it would be far fetched at best for someone to be charged solely for concealing a weapon in terms of these two laws previously sited. But no of us should gamble that,

exhibit A:

http://m.wafb.com/wafb/pm_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=od:13UIi49E

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    "I" am the one that posed this question to DantheMan. It went kinda like this. "If I can open carry a sidearm on my OWN PROPERTY (and as elsewhere in LA) while mowing the lawn, then decide it's a little chilly and go in and put on a jacket (WITHOUT A CCW) to finish mowing, is that legal"? Personally, to me, it is. Just wanted to be sure.

Simply just another case of a BS member interpreting/circumventing the law as they see fit. Are you and whitebread related?

Once you put that jacket on over your handgun, you are in violation of Louisiana law. I mean clearly its your prerogative to do so, but don't make it sound like it's legal to do so here on the forum.

You like to dress it up by saying "I just got cold and put on a jacket", but its no different than if you had your handgun in a holster under your jacket from the very beginning.
    What if a neighbor flagged you down in distress? or called you down the street to talk?
    Or you have a heart attack while on your riding mower cutting/pass out and the neighbor calls EMS for you?

Last edited:

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Simply just another case of a BS member interpreting/circumventing the law as they see fit. Are you and whitebread related?

Once you put that jacket on over your handgun, you are in violation of Louisiana law. I mean clearly its your prerogative to do so, but don't make it sound like it's legal to do so here on the forum.

You like to dress it up by saying "I just got cold and put on a jacket", but its no different than if you had your handgun in a holster under your jacket from the very beginning.
    What if a neighbor flagged you down in distress? or called you down the street to talk?
    Or you have a heart attack while on your riding mower cutting/pass out and the neighbor calls EMS for you?

And I thought you were one of the good guys that was willing to protect YOUR property at all costs... Why wouldn't you be ok with Wilson protecting himself if he feels the need to do so? I'd be ok with Wilson poking his eyes over the fence and speaking to me physiologically! He's the kind of guy I want for my neighbor, and he shouldn't have to be afraid to carry on his property!

It sucks that he even has to ask this question...

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    If the Louisiana CHP law forbids a citizen from concealing a handgun on their person in their own home (and it does), it is f'ng beyond retarded; and should be amended.

If they did that and gave the ok to CC in your home all the Extension of your Home crowd would be CC'ing in their vehicles. :D

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    If they did that and gave the ok to CC in your home all the Extension of your Home crowd would be CC'ing in their vehicles. :D

The actual law to date makes more sense because CCing in a vehicle is very impractical as far as getting to it in a hurry (in a vehicle in a sitting position with gun in waistband) is concerned. I'd much rather a gun in my door pocket than one in my waistband as far as in a vehicle is concerned.

ETA: I've been asked out of my truck by a deputy on an inspection sticker infraction and walked around to the passenger side to get my papers as requested and informed the deputy a gun was in the driver door... He asked me to open it, and I did so he could inspect... He never touched my gun, and I left without a ticket... Either I'm a damn good talker, or I gave the deputy no reason to fear me.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    The actual law to date makes more sense because CCing in a vehicle is very impractical as far as getting to it in a hurry (in a vehicle in a sitting position with gun in waistband) is concerned. I'd much rather a gun in my door pocket than one in my waistband as far as in a vehicle is concerned.

ETA: I've been asked out of my truck by a deputy on an inspection sticker infraction and walked around to the passenger side to get my papers as requested and informed the deputy a gun was in the driver door... He asked me to open it, and I did so he could inspect... He never touched my gun, and I left without a ticket... Either I'm a damn good talker, or I gave the deputy no reason to fear me.

Get that sticker :D

Wilson54

MS-Deltan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Louisiana

This was supposed to be real simple.....because it was. If I can open carry in most all places in the State of Louisiana and surely to God on my property, then if want to put on a jacket to go to the mailbox to get mail (WITHOUT A CCW), I should be able to. It's utterly insane to think otherwise and interject some Kalifornia or New Jersey/York garbage into the equation. I was born in 1954. THAT is my "permit". Oh, and a decent Southern Christian woman should be allowed to carry in her purse WITHOUT A CCW. Her purse is an extension of her home. Ever looked inside one of those things? :)
    I was really inquiring about the legality of it all as I'd never seen it clearly written. I truly don't care about the legality concerning the scenerio. I'm gonna do it anyway.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I was really inquiring about the legality of it all as I'd never seen it clearly written. I truly don't care about the legality concerning the scenerio. I'm gonna do it anyway.

I rest my case.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by

And here I thought we were moving past the days of Bayou Shooter name calling and slander (technically liable because it was typed). You know nothing I posted was actually intended for anyone to go forth a try for themselves. I repeatedly pointed out it was NOT legal advice and was simply me pointing out failings on the part of our legislators. My ultimate goal is to motivate slugs who won't get a permit and are too lazy to write their reps, right the committee responsible and get the shackles of stupid laws off of us. I mean seriously it's legal for me to carry my 9mm handgun concealed but not my pocket knife (or any other instrument than could be used as a weapon). And, I can have my guns in bags in my truck but putting my hand on them constitutes being on ones person (keep in mind if it doesn't that creates a massive loophole). That's beyond stupid, and this has been my point all along.

What amazes me is you've seen my post (we seem to agree normally) but for some reason (boredom maybe) you decided to throw all context and common sense out the window.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    This was supposed to be real simple.....because it was. If I can open carry in most all places in the State of Louisiana and surely to God on my property, then if want to put on a jacket to go to the mailbox to get mail (WITHOUT A CCW), I should be able to. It's utterly insane to think otherwise and interject some Kalifornia or New Jersey/York garbage into the equation. I was born in 1954. THAT is my "permit". Oh, and a decent Southern Christian woman should be allowed to carry in her purse WITHOUT A CCW. Her purse is an extension of her home. Ever looked inside one of those things? :)

I agree with you, but the laws as they are written do not.
    Do you know who your state rep is?
    Would you write him/her?
    Would you write the committee on Criminal Justice?
    Would you convince 10 friends not on Bayou Shooter to do the same?

Guns have a stigma in this country because too many people don't understand the laws surrounding them. More people are pro gun even if it's just ever so slightly than are not. The problem is even amongst the "gun community" there are a large portion of people who think it's ok for them to have a gun but not their neighbor because hey that "dirtbag leaves his Christmas lights up all year" or whatever excuse they come up with.

(Cue up the music hear comes my patriotic soapbox)

But if you look at our Second Amendment it's clear what was the intent. You have to ignore portions of it to come to any other conclusion. Owning and bearing arms (no singular device is listed) is our birth right they are here for many purposes but the biggest and most important to our founders was they wanted an army of farmers, teachers, preachers, bean counters, dress makers, and whatever else this diverse nation may choose as their primary vocation.

Last edited:

Wilson54

MS-Deltan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Louisiana
    Ok, thank you all. Y'all are putting waaaaaaay too much into this. I will continue to put my light windbreaker jacket OVER MY open carry from MY house to go to MY mailbox outside on MY property, if it's chilly WITHOUT A CCW. Many of you say I shall "break the law". That is so very very silly. Laws "like that" if indeed......."NEED" to be broken. I realize that in Ohio, one can carry inside the home but not outside on your property.
    This ain't O-f@#$%HIO.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Nope. But if you were carrying your range bag with a firearm in it, technically that is "on your person". Inside your car, you can do whatever the hell you want unless the gun is concealed on your person. Range bag on the passenger seat, fine and dandy. Now if it was on your lap, well I guess that would get weird in terms of interpretation, whether that was considered on your person or not.

I'm not saying any of this **** makes sense...I'm just saying it causes a lot more meaningless conversation than it does actual problems.

OK, new angle... what about backpacking in Kisatchie? Would it be better to have a takedown rifle than a pistol (since I have no CHP) stuffed inside my pack? Guess if I'm hiking on a WMA, then I have to keep hunting regulations in mind as well. Damn, this **** is complicated!

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Ok, thank you all. Y'all are putting waaaaaaay too much into this. I will continue to put my light windbreaker jacket OVER MY open carry from MY house to go to MY mailbox outside on MY property, if it's chilly WITHOUT A CCW. Many of you say I shall "break the law". That is so very very silly. Laws "like that" if indeed......."NEED" to be broken. I realize that in Ohio, one can carry inside the home but not outside on your property.
    This ain't O-f@#$%HIO.

I respectfully disagree. When we are talking Rights of Man/Woman in your case it's never enough until you no longer pause for concern as to weather or not you are breaking the law doing something as simple as making a wardrobe change or carrying a pelican case full of guns to shooting line.

If you are to going a protest by violating a silly law, you should know first offenders who are charged with this can be fined $500 and/or up to 6months in the pokey. If you were actually concealing your weapon for nefarious reasons the penalties are much more severe.

I urge you and anyone else who agrees with us that these laws are stupid to write the state rep. Petition the committee on CJ. Do your part. Put your words and thoughts to action.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom