The Right to Own and Bear Switchblades

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    https://mises.org/blog/right-own-and-bear-switchblades

snippet:

The legislature of the State of Colorado is considering ending its longtime ban on switchblades. You read that right. In a state where pretty much anyone without a criminal record can purchase a hand gun — and where homicide rates are quite low, mind you — switchblades are verboten.
    Why are these knives illegal?

All the evidence points toward lawmakers targeting these sorts of knives because of Hollywood movies and popular culture.

The Colorado ban dates to 1963, and the federal "Switchblade Knife Act" was passed in 1958. It is not a coincidence that these laws came in the wake of numerous notable Hollywood movies that featured switchblades, including Rebel Without a Cause, Crime in the Streets, The Delinquents, and West Side Story.

At the time, the films promoted a moral panic among "respectable" citizens who came to believe that switchblades were fueling gangland activity. Even worse was the fact that many of these supposed gangsters were swarthy ethnics like the children of Italian and Puerto Rican immigrants.

There were, of course, no studies as to the actual effects of switchblades, their relative deadliness, who was using them, or how they were used. The passage of these laws has never been shown to have any impact whatsoever on violent crime or homicide.

Thus, these laws were passed in the absence of any evidence that they actually improved public safety. They were passed because some voters and politicians watched some Hollywood movies, and that was that. Anyone familiar with the legislative process will not be shocked by this, but this method of lawmaking certainly isn't what's taught in high school civics.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I just don't see the issue with switch blades. Is it a deployment issue or something?

I mean a knife is a knife. I've surprised a few people (unintentionally) by using my Emerson spyderco just because how fast it can be deployed.

I'm not showing off but am I missing something with all of the auto openers etc that are on the market are switchblades are still scary/illegal?

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Who wants to carry one nowadays anyway? I may have to break out my jeans and white tee, and roll my cigarettes up in my sleeve and go battle the sharks later!

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    They were scary back in the day, just like black ghost gun clips are today. For anybody interested in helping end state and federal bans check out Knife Rights run by Doug Ritter.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Who wants to carry one nowadays anyway? I may have to break out my jeans and white tee, and roll my cigarettes up in my sleeve and go battle the sharks later!

Here's where my dread from the insidious mechanical blades of death came from:
    iu

Mom took me and my brothers to see this when I was 7.

Me and my brothers would re-enact these fights scenes over and over and over.......

Ahh; simpler times!
    :mamoru:

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I would think if we were a nation obsessed with Liberty then we wouldn't have a law banning switch blades :mamoru:

We are a nation obsessed with PC and free stuff...

Mom took me and my brothers to see this when I was 7.

Me and my brothers would re-enact these fights scenes over and over and over.......

Ahh; simpler times!
    :mamoru:

I imagine a few of these reenactments took place during recess on the school yard! Probably had some stick gun fights there too and it wasn't frowned upon like it is nowadays.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Ha! That's why they outlawed them in the first place!!! It was like Reefer Madness for knives! :D

Yeah, the 50's are over. This needs to be repealed so we can own them as "novelty items" because that's what they are now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom