Source for desiccants?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    I'm looking for some desiccants to put in storage container for primers I have. Anyone know of a local source to find them? Would a hardware store have them? Or is this a mail order item? I'm on the Northshore, fwiw.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Hobby Lobby has 1.5 & 5 lb packs of silica gel. The local one in Covington stocks it but seems to be out of it alot. You can also get those sache net bags they use for potpuorri to put it in. If you want less expensive, just go to Sam's and get a big bag of cheap rice and use that instead.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Hobby Lobby has 1.5 & 5 lb packs of silica gel. The local one in Covington stocks it but seems to be out of it alot. You can also get those sache net bags they use for potpuorri to put it in. If you want less expensive, just go to Sam's and get a big bag of cheap rice and use that instead.

Thanks, I didn't think of Hobby Lobby, but the rice idea sounds good. I'll just do that.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Dollar tree has plastic containers of dessicant/charcoal for $1 each. I bought some to put in plastic tubs of items and things we packed up to put in storage after the flooding.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    I wound up going with rice. Got a large pill bottle that I used up and drilled some small holes in the top for air to pass through but not the rice. Filled it up and tossed it in the ammo can with my primers. I've had the primers a few months now, and learned they can go bad if not stored properly.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Rice works surprisingly well. Just remember to replace it once in a while just like silica gel. One advantage to rice is you can spread it out on a cookie sheet in a real low oven and dry it out to reuse. But why, it's just rice!

I dropped my phone in the drink once and put it in a big mason jar full of rice for a couple of days. Worked.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Rice works surprisingly well. Just remember to replace it once in a while just like silica gel. One advantage to rice is you can spread it out on a cookie sheet in a real low oven and dry it out to reuse. But why, it's just rice!

I dropped my phone in the drink once and put it in a big mason jar full of rice for a couple of days. Worked.

Yeah, the reason I decided to try the rice is because it's cheap and easy to replace. I just made a bottle with some holes in it, and hopefully once a month or so I'll remember to change out the rice. I just need to make a religious practice of that. Cost is pennies, but worth a whole lot more if it saves my primers from going bad.

I'll bet the cost of heating up the rice to dry it out would be more in electricity/gas than the rice is worth...lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom