Concealed Carry Church...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    U.(1) The entity which owns the business or has authority over the administration of a church, synagogue, or mosque shall have the authority to authorize any person issued a valid concealed handgun permit as authorized by the provisions of this Section to carry a concealed handgun in the church, synagogue, or mosque.

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Is one required to complete a special class to be eligible to carry concealed while at church?
    What does the law say about this?
    In a class I took very recently I was advised on good authority that there is a special 8 hour class one must take beyond the chl class, along with informing the Preacher Pastor etc. From there the pastor must inform the congregation. He can discreetly inform them like "there is someone here with a gun for our protection" or he can say "Jim has a gun" it must be said once, but not every meeting.... Just once ever, stupid I know. I also think this goes for every individual with a gun unless they show up together the first time, again stupid I know. I have the statute written down I think. Also, I think it is illegal to carry in church without the class. From what I understand the new class is of a tactical nature and requires 4 hours of legal a 4 hours on the range that addresses firing with large crowds around you. Here is a news link that talks about it a little bit.

http://m.wafb.com/wafb/pm_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=od:iz5g0XBd

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    In a class I took very recently I was advised on good authority that there is a special 8 hour class one must take beyond the chl class, along with informing the Preacher Pastor etc. From there the pastor must inform the congregation. He can discreetly inform them like "there is someone here with a gun for our protection" or he can say "Jim has a gun" it must be said once, but not every meeting.... Just once ever, stupid I know.
    I also think this goes for every individual with a gun unless they show up together the first time, again stupid I know. I have the statute written down I think. Also, I think it is illegal to carry in church without the class. From what I understand the new class is of a tactical nature.

http://m.wafb.com/wafb/pm_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=od:iz5g0XBd

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Mostly Correct!

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Louisiana CHP and Tactical Class and permission from Church/Pastor.

U.(1) The entity which owns the business or has authority over the administration of a church, synagogue, or mosque shall have the authority to authorize any person issued a valid concealed handgun permit as authorized by the provisions of this Section to carry a concealed handgun in the church, synagogue, or mosque.
    ************(2) The provisions of this Subsection shall not be construed to limit or prohibit any church, synagogue, or mosque from employing armed security guards who are either certified law enforcement officers or who are authorized to carry concealed handguns pursuant to the provisions of this Section.
    ************(3) If the church, synagogue, or mosque authorizes the carrying of concealed handguns as authorized by the provisions of this Subsection, the pastor, priest, minister, or other authority of the church, synagogue, or mosque shall inform the congregation of the authorization.
    ************(4) The provisions of this Section shall not be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed handgun in a church, synagogue, or mosque located on the property of any school or school property, which would otherwise be prohibited by the provisions of R.S. 14:95.2.
    ************(5) Any church, synagogue, or mosque authorizing the carrying of concealed handguns pursuant to the provisions of this Subsection shall require an additional eight hour tactical training for those persons wishing to carry concealed handguns in the church, synagogue, or mosque. The training shall be conducted annually.

Last edited:

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    The law states a 8 hour "tactical" class annually but doesn't spell out what that means specifically. There are a handful of training groups around that you could take one with. All are well beyond the hours of talking and few minutes of touching a handgun you get to do in a carry class.

As stated above. Your pastor/leader has to grant you permission to do so. He/she are also supposed to notify the congregation in some fashion.... At a church meeting or behind a pulpit etc. Not specifically who is carrying but that its being allowed.

If I can help Pm me, I've done this more than once.

Last edited:

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Tboy is right on.

8 hours additional (per year), pastor's permission, and notification of the congregation. No specifics about what the 8 hours is or how they are notified.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I have taken the "church carry" class that Gordon Hutchinson offers a couple times.
    The legalize portion is a huge part of the class.

Coastie Paul

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Slidell, LA
    If you have a home church, attend regularly, willing to volunteer, etc. then I would recommend getting organized (church buy-in/ authorization) and form a security team. There are several articles, even businesses, on-line concerning church security teams.

I think this is the article that I read last year concerning the subject of church security (author likes the term "safety" over using "security"). http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/forming-a-church-safety-team

I spend my time between LA and VA. LA has to the option to carry in church, with a little hassle. VA has no such option for the layman.

Last edited:

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Louisiana CHP and Tactical Class and permission from Church/Pastor.

************(2) The provisions of this Subsection shall not be construed to limit or prohibit any church, synagogue, or mosque from employing armed security guards who are either certified law enforcement officers or who are authorized to carry concealed handguns pursuant to the provisions of this Section.
    ************(3) If the church, synagogue, or mosque authorizes the carrying of concealed handguns as authorized by the provisions of this Subsection, the pastor, priest, minister, or other authority of the church, synagogue, or mosque shall inform the congregation of the authorization.
    ************(4) The provisions of this Section shall not be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed handgun in a church, synagogue, or mosque located on the property of any school or school property, which would otherwise be prohibited by the provisions of R.S. 14:95.2.
    ************(5) Any church, synagogue, or mosque authorizing the carrying of concealed handguns pursuant to the provisions of this Subsection shall require an additional eight hour tactical training for those persons wishing to carry concealed handguns in the church, synagogue, or mosque. The training shall be conducted annually.

Does the pastor have to grant specific permission to each individual who would like to carry?
    e.g. I know my folks' church has authorized some people to carry, and I have taken an 8-hour 'tactical' class (a general class, something like 'Defensive handgun 101'), so if I go visit them, I should be good to stow, right?

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Does the pastor have to grant specific permission to each individual who would like to carry?
    e.g. I know my folks' church has authorized some people to carry, and I have taken an 8-hour 'tactical' class (a general class, something like 'Defensive handgun 101'), so if I go visit them, I should be good to stow, right?

My understanding is that the pastor has to authorize you.
    I simple "Hey pastor I have my permit and extra training is it ok?" should suffice if he has already made the announcement.

My pastor made the announcement last year at the business meeting. Something to the effect of "With all that is going on around the country and with the several sex offenders that have visited recently we will have some armed members for your protection."

I emailed a copy of my permit and additional training to the church secretary for her records, but that is not required.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs

He has to allow it per person. Some churches have a vetting process as well.

I think some churches have the wrong opinion of being liable for allowing it to happen and they'd be on the hook for a bad shoot. The church assumes no responsibility, they only say yes you can. If you carry in a church and make a bad shoot you'll be on your own. Same as being in Walmart or anywhere else and doing the same.

In addition I know there are a lot of folks that carry without the permission. If something goes wrong it's gonna be tough to explain.

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I know a few people who conceal carry at Church and treat it like any other place of business that is not "legal" to carry at. Concealed is concealed. They are not part of LEO, security team, safety team or commando. Their soul purpose is to protect themselves and their loved ones only. Get out, run, dodge or hide and if all else fails lethal force.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I know a few people who conceal carry at Church and treat it like any other place of business that is not "legal" to carry at. Concealed is concealed. They are not part of LEO, security team, safety team or commando. Their soul purpose is to protect themselves and their loved ones only. Get out, run, dodge or hide and if all else fails lethal force.

I'm in agreement with those and that philosophy and can't say I don't live it.

If there's I point I could make and this is my opinion (it's worth what you paid for it)... I'd rather take the guy/gal that has a permit and carrying in church without "permission" and get them above board legally with the 8 hours training. Make them part of a group of folks I know could be relied on.

Most importantly remove them from the "spray and pray" group and into one that is familiar with their weapon and somewhat prepared to use deadly force in a crowd.

Im a huge advocate for training. It's fun and it benefits me and those around me.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    He has to allow it per person. Some churches have a vetting process as well.

I think some churches have the wrong opinion of being liable for allowing it to happen and they'd be on the hook for a bad shoot. The church assumes no responsibility, they only say yes you can. If you carry in a church and make a bad shoot you'll be on your own. Same as being in Walmart or anywhere else and doing the same.

In addition I know there are a lot of folks that carry without the permission. If something goes wrong it's gonna be tough to explain.

Since you are giving legal advice, Are you an Attorney?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I have never understood this church law. To me it's a feel good law, a bullet coming out of a barrel doesn't care if it's a church or anywhere else.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom