Shipping firearm into Louisiana from non FFL

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I purchased a rifle on Gunbroker & had it shipped to a local gun shop. I was not aware the seller did not have an FFL. The rifle has arrived, but the gun shop says since it came from a non FFL that Louisiana law requires them to hold it for 30 days in case it's reported stolen.

Is this in fact the law & what is the RS so I can look it up?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have had plenty of then shipped from non FFL and all they did was run the gun and me no hold! But I guess his FFL his rules????

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    As far as I know, there is no law that requires this. It must be that particular ffl's rule. I have bought many firearms out of state from unlicensed individuals who shipped to my ffl and I never had to wait to pick them up.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    As far as I know, there is no law that requires this. It must be that particular ffl's rule. I have bought many firearms out of state from unlicensed individuals who shipped to my ffl and I never had to wait to pick them up.

This. Your FFL is full of ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    The FFL is not a pawn shop, but it sounds like they are trying to use pawn rules. Except pawn rules say 90 days. Maybe it's just their policy, my policy is never to shop there again.

The gun shop is Ron's Gun's in Bossier City.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    The FFL is not a pawn shop, but it sounds like they are trying to use pawn rules. Except pawn rules say 90 days. Maybe it's just their policy, my policy is never to shop there again.

You really should check beforehand and make sure that your FFL will even accept shipment from a non-FFL. Some won't.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I didn't know that the seller didn't have an FFL until this morning when the rifle arrived.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

Yeah, in that case they are just applying internal policy and citing it as LA law. If they don't have that info posted anywhere, I think I'd be raising hell or having the gun transferred to another FFL.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Yeah, in that case they are just applying internal policy and citing it as LA law. If they don't have that info posted anywhere, I think I'd be raising hell or having the gun transferred to another FFL.

This 100%
    all the FFLs i have worked with have been great! Life is to short to deal with one that is not.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    They say it's under pawn shop rules, but I still say it's crap. So I'll pick it up in a month. I've fondled it & took photos. After this is over with, I kinda doubt I'll ever go there again.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Have them show you the regs of pawn shop rules and how it applies to them and you. If they cant or wont, tell them they are full of sh*t and that you will take your bussiness elsewhere in the future and let everyone you know or can how much of a piece of sh*t they are!

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Already planned - right after I take possession of the rifle. I don't want it to have an accident.

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    What a crock of crap. The FFL would not be liable if the gun was stolen anyway. LRS 14:69.1 requires that the person know or should have known that the gun was taken in a theft or robbery. We deal with that charge on a regular basis. It is next to impossible to prove.

Top Bottom