Any recommendations on spotting scope?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I am looking to purchase a spotting scope to use at the range. Don't need anything too high end, I don't shoot past 100 yards. Just want to be able to see my target without waiting for the range to go cold.
    I tried a cheap academy unit that was $75ish a few years ago and immediately returned it because it was terrible.

Budget is a couple hundred dollars, give or take. What are you guys using?

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I have three scopes (from Champions Choice), favorite is a fixed power 22x60mm with the 45 degree eyepiece. Can't see as well out of my variable scope, and it is awkward using the other fixed 22x60 with the straight eyepiece.

If I were purchasing a new scope today in the $200 price range I'd probably select the Konus 20-60x by 80mm from Champions Choice for $239: http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=7120

If I had a little more to spend, Kowa scopes would be my choice, any with the 45 degree eyepiece: http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=CategoryBody&c=OPSPKW Note that the prices for the scope body don't include an eyepiece, and eyepieces add $300 to the total price.

PS: Get a padded cover for the scope

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    "Depending on your conditions, our customers have reported seeing a 22 cal hole at 150+ yards!"

Even with my shotty eyesight I can and do spot 22 caliber holes on white paper at 100 yards with a reasonably priced Buckmaster 3-9x40. I'm no trying to run down that product maybe they under promise and over deliver, but the quote didn't sell me if anything it created doubt.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I have gone to 15x binos for a spotter. You need to mount them on a Tripod so they don't move. They have a better Field of View and no more eye fatigue looking through glass for extended periods with one eye closed like on a spotter. I sold both Vortex Razor HD spotters I had.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have gone to 15x binos for a spotter. You need to mount them on a Tripod so they don't move. They have a better Field of View and no more eye fatigue looking through glass for extended periods with one eye closed like on a spotter. I sold both Vortex Razor HD spotters I had.

Totally agree with this^! I use my Leica's and they actually are clearer than the much, much cheaper Bushnell spotter I have (but truth be told it is a very basic model). Now, I did look through a good friend's Swavorski spotter and it was way, way better than my spotter; but he did confide it cost about $3K.

So, you want a good spotter? Come up with some good cash! ;)

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Totally agree with this^! I use my Leica's and they actually are clearer than the much, much cheaper Bushnell spotter I have (but truth be told it is a very basic model). Now, I did look through a good friend's Swavorski spotter and it was way, way better than my spotter; but he did confide it cost about $3K.

I have a Leupold 12-40x60mm that makes it really hard to look through the budget scopes. They just feel fuzzy.

The 15-30x50mm is probably the best entry level spotter you can get.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow

What model Leica's do you have? The Geovid HD-B's are great.

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I bought a Celestron Ultima 80mm about 3 years ago from Optics Planet, on sale for $140.00. Read the reviews. I think you will like it. One of the best on the market, for the price.

Top Bottom