Visiting NOLA, Have Concealed Carry Questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RossA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Houston, Republic of Texas
    Howdy, I will be on a business trip with co-workers this weekend in NOLA. I have a Texas License To Carry Handgun and I know that we have reciprocity with Louisiana.
    We will be staying at the Omni Royal Orleans and having meetings there. We will be having dinner Friday and Saturday nights at Brennan's and Antoine's. Not sure if there are liquor restrictions or other problems with carrying at any of those places.
    Thanks in advance.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    You can't carry in bars, but you can in restaurants. It has something to do with them having the majority % of food sales being more than alcohol sales (I forget the exact numbers), but pretty much any real restaurant (not just a bar that sells food) is ok.

RossA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    That's pretty similar to Texas. What if we are at a restaurant that has a bar section attached? Since it is part of the restaurant is it OK to carry? I am sure that we will go to the restaurant bar before or after dinner.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    If you have to be 18 to enter (or is it 21 now?), it is a bar even if they serve food and you can't carry.
    If anyone can enter, it is a restaurant, even if they have a bar and you can carry.
    Just don't drink while you carry.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    If you have to be 18 to enter (or is it 21 now?), it is a bar even if they serve food and you can't carry.
    If anyone can enter, it is a restaurant, even if they have a bar and you can carry.

Good point. That's a good way to gauge it.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    It has to do with if the establishment has a Class A retail liquor license. Any business, bar, restaurant, whatever that has a class A retail liquor license, you are forbidden from carrying inside. Which could also mean that a restaurant with a bar for example... the restaurant could be legal to carry in, but when you step into the bar area, or if you're seated in the bar area (determined by the establishment), you are in violation of the law. In New Orleans, this is pretty much most of the French Quarter (Though you can't tell me it doesn't happen!).

The ONLY exception is LEO in the process of carrying out their duties. Off-duty LEO are not allowed to carry in Class A establishments either. Also, any LEO entering a Class A establishment during the course of their duties (even if they are undercover) is required to inform ownership/management of their presence.

The percentage of food/liquor sales I guess does play a role considering it's the type of Liquor license that determines if your liquor sales must surpass your food sales. For example, a bar the sells food but is classified as a "BAR" not a "RESTAURANT" must sell a higher proportion of Liquor than food in order to maintain the license. Restaurants are the exact opposite. I do have a problem with this because most "RESTAURANTS" in the city (Like a specific "Retired Surfer BAR".... or another with BAR in the name that has a ton of vintage video games) have a RESTAURANT liquor license but CLEARLY operate as a bar 80% of the time and MOST DEFINITELY skew the percentage more toward a BAR due to high liquor sales. Sorry for getting a little off subject.

But hey, who's watching? lol.

RossA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    So I guess I can just call the restaurants and see if minors can enter? If minors can go into the restaurant, but the restaurant also serves alcohol, can I carry there? And if so, can I carry in the entire place, or just the restaurant portion?
    While I am at it, in Texas restaurants or bars have to post signs outside to warn you that it is a "no carry" place. Is that also the practice in Louisiana?
    And it is forbidden to drink while carrying, or only to be intoxicated?
    Thanks for all of the help.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA

This is not 100% correct. Some establishments require 21 and up because they do not have a separate area to close off Video Poker. If it isn't in a separate room and is visible from within the common area, you must be 21 to enter the establishment. So it could be because of their gaming permit, not Alcohol related.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    So I guess I can just call the restaurants and see if minors can enter? If minors can go into the restaurant, but the restaurant also serves alcohol, can I carry there? And if so, can I carry in the entire place, or just the restaurant portion?
    While I am at it, in Texas restaurants or bars have to post signs outside to warn you that it is a "no carry" place. Is that also the practice in Louisiana?
    And it is forbidden to drink while carrying, or only to be intoxicated?
    Thanks for all of the help.

There will not be nice big 51% signs like in TX. Antoine's and Brennan's are restaurants. Yeah, if kids can go in, you're fine. That's a good rule of thumb, but what kingfhb said about gaming establishments is also true. I know of no law stating you can't be in the 'bar area' of a restaurant, but it is probably wise not to sit at the bar with your gun. You MAY NOT be intoxicated. There is a BAC limit. I think it's 0.05.

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html
    A permittee may not carry and conceal a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled dangerous substance (CDS) as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964. For purposes of the concealed handgun law, a permittee is considered under the influence of alcohol when a blood alcohol reading of .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood is obtained, or a blood or urine test shows any confirmed presence of a CDS.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    It has to do with if the establishment has a Class A retail liquor license. Any business, bar, restaurant, whatever that has a class A retail liquor license, you are forbidden from carrying inside. Which could also mean that a restaurant with a bar for example... the restaurant could be legal to carry in, but when you step into the bar area, or if you're seated in the bar area (determined by the establishment), you are in violation of the law. In New Orleans, this is pretty much most of the French Quarter (Though you can't tell me it doesn't happen!).

The ONLY exception is LEO in the process of carrying out their duties. Off-duty LEO are not allowed to carry in Class A establishments either. Also, any LEO entering a Class A establishment during the course of their duties (even if they are undercover) is required to inform ownership/management of their presence.

The percentage of food/liquor sales I guess does play a role considering it's the type of Liquor license that determines if your liquor sales must surpass your food sales. For example, a bar the sells food but is classified as a "BAR" not a "RESTAURANT" must sell a higher proportion of Liquor than food in order to maintain the license. Restaurants are the exact opposite. I do have a problem with this because most "RESTAURANTS" in the city (Like a specific "Retired Surfer BAR".... or another with BAR in the name that has a ton of vintage video games) have a RESTAURANT liquor license but CLEARLY operate as a bar 80% of the time and MOST DEFINITELY skew the percentage more toward a BAR due to high liquor sales. Sorry for getting a little off subject.

But hey, who's watching? lol.

Both liquor license are a Class A.
    A bar has a Class AG, a restaurant has a Class AR.

http://www.atc.rev.state.la.us/alcohol-applications-retailer-on-premise.php

If they have a Class AR - Restaurant permit you can carry. Even in the bar part of the restaurant.
    See RS 14:95.5 (C) 2 posted below.

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html
    The passage of Act 147 of the 2014 Regular Legislative Session amended and re-enacted R.S. 14:95.5 (C) relative to the possession of a firearm on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet. This act provides an exception for persons possessing a firearm in accordance with a concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to R.S. 40:1379.1 or 1379.3 on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet which has been issued a Class A-Restaurant permit. (Effective August 1, 2014)

http://legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?d=78744
    RS 14:95.5
    §95.5. Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet
    A. No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.
    B. "Alcoholic beverage outlet" as used herein means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.
    C.(1) The provisions of this Section shall not apply to the owner or lessee of an alcoholic beverage outlet, an employee of such owner or lessee, or to a law enforcement officer or other person vested with law enforcement authority or listed in R.S. 14:95(G) or (H).
    (2) The provisions of this Section shall not apply to a person possessing a firearm in accordance with a concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to R.S. 40:1379.1 or 1379.3 on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet which has been issued a Class A-Restaurant permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950.
    (3) The provisions of this Section shall not be construed to limit the ability of a sheriff or chief law enforcement officer to establish policies within his department or office regarding the carrying of a concealed handgun on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet by any law enforcement officer under his authority.
    D. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.
    Acts 1985, No. 765, §1; Acts 2014, No. 147, §1.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    This is not 100% correct. Some establishments require 21 and up because they do not have a separate area to close off Video Poker. If it isn't in a separate room and is visible from within the common area, you must be 21 to enter the establishment. So it could be because of their gaming permit, not Alcohol related.

So, what we're saying, is that all the laws are (shocker) clear as mud!

As far as drinking: .05, so it is a lower limit than driving

A permittee may not carry and conceal a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled dangerous substance (CDS) as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964. For purposes of the concealed handgun law, a permittee is considered under the influence of alcohol when a blood alcohol reading of .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood is obtained, or a blood or urine test shows any confirmed presence of a CDS.
    The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be revoked by the deputy secretary when the permittee is carrying and concealing a handgun under any of the following circumstances:
    The blood alcohol reading of the permittee is .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood;

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA

While this is true, following my rule of thumb will keep you legal.

If kids can enter, you can carry.
    If you have to be 21, you probably can't carry.

Is the water muddy enough yet?

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    While this is true, following my rule of thumb will keep you legal.

If kids can enter, you can carry.
    If you have to be 21, you probably can't carry.

Is the water muddy enough yet?

+1

THOUGH... there are some weird "FEDERAL" buildings that you wouldn't think are as well... like the INSECTARIUM!!!! Who knew it was in a Federal Building???? Lol... no carry! Not even a pocket knife! Metal Detectors at the door. Granted it's not a bar or restaurant... just wanted the OP to keep these buildings in mind too!

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So, what we're saying, is that all the laws are (shocker) clear as mud!

As far as drinking: .05, so it is a lower limit than driving

The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be revoked by the deputy secretary when the permittee is carrying and concealing a handgun under any of the following circumstances:
    The blood alcohol reading of the permittee is .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood;

That's still a couple of beers or a glass of wine for most males! ;)

And big gals! :p

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I'm sure I just kicked a ant pile but if you find yourself in a position where you might have to tell an officer you are in possession of a concealed pistol in New Orleans it's a coin flip how it will go down. Could be pleasant experience or you might have to come back and try to reclaim your property at a later date. If you are doing something illegal well that goes without saying it will end bad for u. Traffic stops could get dicey in the chocolate city.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom