Visiting NOLA, Have Concealed Carry Questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Siviks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2017
    Luling, LA
    I'm sure I just kicked a ant pile but if you find yourself in a position where you might have to tell an officer you are in possession of a concealed pistol in New Orleans it's a coin flip how it will go down. Could be pleasant experience or you might have to come back and try to reclaim your property at a later date. If you are doing something illegal well that goes without saying it will end bad for u. Traffic stops could get dicey in the chocolate city.

I've heard that NOPD will require you to prove that the firearm is legally yours. I carry a picture on my phone of my purchase receipt just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Holders of concealed handgun permits
    (R.S. 40:1379.3). The former statutes say it is illegal to carry a firearm, at any time, within 1,000 feet of a parade or at any establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises. The latter says permit holders are prohibited from carrying at a number of places, including "in" a parade and at a Class A general retail establishment or a bar.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    The ONLY exception is LEO in the process of carrying out their duties. Off-duty LEO are not allowed to carry in Class A establishments either. Also, any LEO entering a Class A establishment during the course of their duties (even if they are undercover) is required to inform ownership/management of their presence.

Didn't they change the law where LEO's can carry about the same time they changed ours?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It has to do with if the establishment has a Class A retail liquor license. Any business, bar, restaurant, whatever that has a class A retail liquor license, you are forbidden from carrying inside. Which could also mean that a restaurant with a bar for example... the restaurant could be legal to carry in, but when you step into the bar area, or if you're seated in the bar area (determined by the establishment), you are in violation of the law. In New Orleans, this is pretty much most of the French Quarter (Though you can't tell me it doesn't happen!).

The ONLY exception is LEO in the process of carrying out their duties. Off-duty LEO are not allowed to carry in Class A establishments either. Also, any LEO entering a Class A establishment during the course of their duties (even if they are undercover) is required to inform ownership/management of their presence.

The percentage of food/liquor sales I guess does play a role considering it's the type of Liquor license that determines if your liquor sales must surpass your food sales. For example, a bar the sells food but is classified as a "BAR" not a "RESTAURANT" must sell a higher proportion of Liquor than food in order to maintain the license. Restaurants are the exact opposite. I do have a problem with this because most "RESTAURANTS" in the city (Like a specific "Retired Surfer BAR".... or another with BAR in the name that has a ton of vintage video games) have a RESTAURANT liquor license but CLEARLY operate as a bar 80% of the time and MOST DEFINITELY skew the percentage more toward a BAR due to high liquor sales. Sorry for getting a little off subject.

But hey, who's watching? lol.

Can you post the law requiring LEO to announce their presence. I understood it differently so want to make sure. You seem pretty certain and made it a point to type it so I'm second guessing myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Also, any LEO entering a Class A establishment during the course of their duties (even if they are undercover) is required to inform ownership/management of their presence.

Where did you find this info at?

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Didn't they change the law where LEO's can carry about the same time they changed ours?

Yes. Effective date: 08/01/2014.

https://www.legis.la.gov/legis/BillInfo.aspx?i=223693

Can you post the law requiring LEO to announce their presence. I understood it differently so want to make sure. You seem pretty certain and made it a point to type it so I'm second guessing myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going with Urban Legend for this one.

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    There will not be nice big 51% signs like in TX. Antoine's and Brennan's are restaurants. Yeah, if kids can go in, you're fine. That's a good rule of thumb, but what kingfhb said about gaming establishments is also true. I know of no law stating you can't be in the 'bar area' of a restaurant, but it is probably wise not to sit at the bar with your gun. You MAY NOT be intoxicated. There is a BAC limit. I think it's 0.05.

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

You said it before me Joe-

If a minor can legally enter the business (as in it's not a real love bar) you're ace.

met7881

Former Yankee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    mandeville,La.
    Since you have a Texas CHL, you cannot carry within 1000' of any public or private school. You can thank the 1990 Gun Free Zone act. Lots of luck in New Orleans not being within 1000' of any school

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom