Homeschooling in Buffalo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    http://www.wkbw.com/news/was-buffalo-mom-jailed-over-homeschooling-decision

Single mother Kiarre Harris started researching homeschooling last November. She says her two elementary school aged children weren't excelling at their failing Buffalo Public Schools.

"I felt that the district was failing my children and that's when I made the decision to homeschool," she said.

Harris says she filed documents at Buffalo City Hall, following all the steps, informing the district of her intent to homeschool her children. According to documents she provided to 7 Eyewitness News, they're dated December 7th and the district says it received her paperwork.

"I spoke directly to the homeschool coordinator and she told me from this point on my children were officially un-enrolled from school."

Things took a turn when she says a week later, Child Protective Services called, wondering why her kids weren't in school.

"I told them that my kids were homeschooled now and that I could furnish the documents if they need to see them."

Thinking everything was fine, Harris says she went on with her homeschooling, but then, less than a month later she says she was confronted by CPS workers and police. According to Harris, they told her they had a court order to take her children and when she told them no, she was arrested for obstruction.

She says she hasn't seen her kids in three weeks, and they've been in a foster institution.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/wingo-calls-homeschooling-arrest-unacceptable

Councilman Ulysees O. Wingo Sr. says it is "utterly unacceptable" that a Buffalo mother was arrested for "educational neglect" because she decided to homeschool her children.

"Someone, somewhere messed up, and that someone needs to face the music," Wingo said at a Buffalo Common Council meeting Tuesday afternoon.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Sounds messed up to me if all the papers were in order to home school her children.

I'm wondering if there is more background here...I've seen a case where the CPS workers were mad at a family and investigated the family b/c of a "bruise they saw one day" on a child.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    At least she has a Councilman attempting to force the issue. She will prob end up with a few dollar bills once its all sorted out. Welcome to America.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If any story deserves to be followed up with a full blown comprehensive explanation as to how and why this happened to this person, it is this one. I won't hold my breath waiting for that.

It would not surprise me if this was an attempt by phony liberals and democrats to stifle ANY opposition to status quo public education failure. If Buffalo is led by democrats, I would probably bet on it!

Merikan media!

Top Bottom