Favorite Flavor 10mm Underwood

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I am going to pick up some Underwood 10mm rounds to break in the G40. I have heard great things and read great reviews on Underwood. I read the ballistics on their different varieties and loads.

Now, my question is... "What flavor should I go with?"

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    The only Underwood I have used is the 200gr Hard cast when I am in the woods. There is a 220gr that is a little slower but hits a little harder but they are both fairly close. Like I said, I used this 100% for woods carry, Im not sure what application you are looking for.

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have a few uses in mind, but the overall desire for this model is to put food on the plate or defend against undesirable animals that consider my prey.

I would like a really hard hitting load for hunting.

I would also like a hot round for gun and/or defense.

I would further like to shoot the 10mm to its potential.

All that being said, I am open to ideas and opinions (with experiences to back them up).

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The only Underwood I have used is the 200gr Hard cast when I am in the woods. There is a 220gr that is a little slower but hits a little harder but they are both fairly close. Like I said, I used this 100% for woods carry, Im not sure what application you are looking for.

What makes the Hard Cast so good? I hear many people love it, and it peaks my interest.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    What makes the Hard Cast so good? I hear many people love it, and it peaks my interest.

When you are shooting animals like hogs that tend to have thicker bones/hide/muscle you get better penetration with less deflection off bone and things like that. If you shoot a hog with an expanding bullet you may not get enough penetration. On deer you could get away with something more along the lines of human self defense with any expanding bullet. They are tough, but they are much softer compared to a hog, bear, cougar etc. That being said, a hard cast will work just fine on deer.

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    I love there ammo. I have tried the 135, 150, 180, and 200. All shot great. I prefer the 180 for self defense. Seems to be the best balance of weight and velocity and shot well out of my Glock 20. I got some 200 in case I wanted to try deer hunting with it but I haven't yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom