Caliber confusion

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    I watch a lot of episodes of The First 48 show, pretty gritty and realistic program about homicide squads. Most of their killings are by firearms. Lately I have noticed that the show writers have NO CLUE about caliber nomenclature. A week ago a pistol was a ".9mm." (all calibers have decimals, right?) Then last week, guy killed with a ".35 automatic." Told my wife, What???? looked it up, there WAS a .35 auto in 1912, experimental gun, never caught on. Later in the show, it turned into a .25 auto. Then tonight, victim died of a shot to the back from a ".22mm." Wow, that's small!! You would think someone on this production would be a shooter, or at least understand the basics. Guess not....

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Then tonight, victim died of a shot to the back from a ".22mm." Wow, that's small!! You would think someone on this production would be a shooter, or at least understand the basics. Guess not....

Did they actually say .22mm or
    22mm? That would be a HUGE round. In WWII, the Germans used a 20mm that was like a small Howitzer and would take out small armor.
    But yeah, working in the medical field, I'm equally as entertained watching medical shows try to get anything right, lol

Last edited:

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    If it was a 22mm I'll bet he didn't feel any pain!

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    They are pretty clueless about a lot of things. I used to hate watching the show ER with two of my friends who are nurses, because they were always 'correcting' the medical terms and such, while the show seemed good to me because I don't have a medical background. Same when I watch any show with horses in it with my friend who trains horses, they are always doing something wrong with the horses. I do hate when the rack the slide on a revolver, or cock the "hammer" on a Glock...

It really does bother me when they get it totally wrong on the 'news'. TV and movies are fictional, the news should not be.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    I'd guess the scripts were usually correct, but the actors misspoke during filming and it wasn't caught until production was complete, if caught at all. If you watch all the outtakes of different programs, you'll see actors screwing up on a regular basis. If it sounds good, the director may let it go anyway if he notices, since only a few fringe militia gun nuts would notice the difference.

Just goes to show that show business people may sound intelligent, but are usually spouting illogical nonsense when they actually have to provide the words instead of a script writer.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    They are pretty clueless about a lot of things. I used to hate watching the show ER with two of my friends who are nurses, because they were always 'correcting' the medical terms and such, while the show seemed good to me because I don't have a medical background. Same when I watch any show with horses in it with my friend who trains horses, they are always doing something wrong with the horses. I do hate when the rack the slide on a revolver, or cock the "hammer" on a Glock...

It really does bother me when they get it totally wrong on the 'news'. TV and movies are fictional, the news should not be.
    Ok, ok.. What about this, the old cop shows when there's a car chase and you hear screeching tires when they take off in the dirt?
    Or the ever present ricochet sound every time a shot is fired in the old westerns? Huh?

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    What about the old A-Team when they would bullet proof a vehicle with old roofing sheet metal tin?
    Bullets would make a little spark and ricochet off.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    If you want to make your eyes bleed, watch mysteries at the Museum. The stories are good, BUT the Dumb Ass Prop guys SUCKS! The latest was a story on Patton & the Ghost Army.
    Did you know that Patton's 3rd Army used "Flintlocks"
    And the one on The Battle of N.O. Made Andy Jackson look gay.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I got hooked on 1st 48 when I was in the Hospital as I was there every day 6-7 days a week.
    I had Free Air at home for 8 years and they had Cable. So had not seen any pay TV in years.
    They would have all day marathons of 1st 48. I know when i shared a room I would ask the other person it was OK they 99% said fine.
    They also was soon hooked on it lol. Why not use a Revolver? Possibly one in 22lr. Just shows ya how dumb they are.
    Thank god since they get picked up rapidly.

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    Just saw another example in a show on the Steven Avery case. They said he shot a girl with a .22 rifle, they showed the flattened bullet they found, and they said "from a rifle he kept over this bed." Pan to the rifle, a Hawken muzzleloader !! OMG You would think SOMEONE on the show would know SOMETHING about guns.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom