Cracklins

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    please pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a cracklin? I've asked before and just got laughed at. lol

So.... You know what pork skins are? Well cracklins are like that, but they leave some fat and some places even leave meat on there. Chicharones is pretty much the same thing.

Some places I've come across, it's mostly thinly cut pork skin with ~1/4 inch of fat. Places like Billies, Don's and The best stop chop up pork belly in ~1inch cubes and fry it. Billies has more meat (which tastes really dry) than I would like. The best stop is the perfect combo for me. Which I like flavor and seasonings.

There's a place in Gretna the sells cracklings which I think are horrible but a lot of people like it. Maybe that's what some of the others were talking about tasting "authentic". It had a citrus flavor to it. like they squeezed a lemon or something acidic over it after it was fried.

Last edited:

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Believe it or not.....
    Rouses sells cracklins that are made in Gonzales that are amazing! Yep, you have the skin, fat and sometimes, some meat in them things. Quite delicious! I can't remember the brand but I know they still sell them and they usually hang them on a "tree" display usually close to the registers. Ask any employee there for the "good local cracklins" and they can usually point them out.
    Holla if you know what I'm talkin bout!

Last edited:

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Try $17.95 per pound in Kinder, La. on Hwy 165. I'm giving them up.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I stopped by Jerry Lee's on the way to the range with my girlfriend and we got Cracklins, Boudin, and their version of Jerky, and it was all amazing! I get their boudin somewhat often, but not their cracklins. Definitely worth the short drive!

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Believe it or not.....
    Rouses sells cracklins that are made in Gonzales that are amazing! Yep, you have the skin, fat and sometimes, some meat in them things. Quite delicious! I can't remember the brand but I know they still sell them and they usually hang them on a "tree" display usually close to the registers. Ask any employee there for the "good local cracklins" and they can usually point them out.
    Holla if you know what I'm talkin bout!

Went by rouses yesterday but couldn't find the cracklins. I had to settle for zapps spicy pimento or something like that.

killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA
    It is a little drive from Baton Rouge but when I am on the west side of the river, I stop at Poche's in Breaux Bridge. Good head cheese too.

Have you ever tried Bayou Boudin & Cracklins in Breaux Bridge? At the Cajun Cabin place on the bayou? They are my favorites and are always cooked to perfection.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    If it comes prepackaged in a brown bag, Ziploc, or on a "tree" display; I'm passing on it. And Billy's got my vote for both gratons and boudin. Pepper jack boudin egg roll dipped in some pepper jelly FTW!

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    If it comes prepackaged in a brown bag, Ziploc, or on a "tree" display; I'm passing on it. And Billy's got my vote for both gratons and boudin. Pepper jack boudin egg roll dipped in some pepper jelly FTW!

Billy's has some very good boudin and cracklins!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

You should try Jerry Lee's, they have really good stuff.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I never did find any cracklins at rouses and I waked around twice. I got sidetracked by hot chicks a few times though.
    I did, however, find some at Robert's. Manda out of BR. They were pretty good but I have no idea how they stack up against what y'all call Cajun cracklins.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Hey Austin, where are my ink pens? :confused: ;) :mamoru:
    I literally have 11 unread PMs regarding BayouShooter swag and zero free time to put together packages. I might be giving all of it away to a new sponsor soon and let people go pick it up (for free) at their establishment. Or people could always come find me (and bring me food) and I can give away BS swag. I literally have a box of 3XL shirts, Koozies, and Patches that I don't want. I don't know if there are pens left or not (or what is at the bottom of that damn box), but we could always find out. But tonight I am going gorge at Texas de Brazil and then going see the wonderment that is Fifty Shades Darker - don't worry, I can give a full write up tomorrow!

I never did find any cracklins at rouses and I waked around twice. I got sidetracked by hot chicks a few times though.
    I did, however, find some at Robert's. Manda out of BR. They were pretty good but I have no idea how they stack up against what y'all call Cajun cracklins.

You should really make a trip to either a hole-in-the-wall gas station that makes them or Jerry Lee's here. Cajun ones are SOOOO much better. The fat just melts in your mouth.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I literally have 11 unread PMs regarding BayouShooter swag and zero free time to put together packages. I might be giving all of it away to a new sponsor soon and let people go pick it up (for free) at their establishment. Or people could always come find me (and bring me food) and I can give away BS swag. I literally have a box of 3XL shirts, Koozies, and Patches that I don't want. I don't know if there are pens left or not (or what is at the bottom of that damn box), but we could always find out. But tonight I am going gorge at Texas de Brazil and then going see the wonderment that is Fifty Shades Darker - don't worry, I can give a full write up tomorrow!

So, where could you be located and what kind of food would you be interested in?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom