Can I purchase a pistol from someone in the state by mail- no FFL involved?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 230gr

Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    Jefferson Parish
    I don't recall this question coming up before, and I must have missed it if it did. I have found a pistol that I want to purchase from an individual that lives too far away to make it feasible to make the trip but is still in LA. as am I. He says he can ship it to me direct, no FFL. I am told that long guns within the same state is ok. Does it also apply to pistols as well? If it can be shipped by UPS or Fed ex do I just go and sign at the distribution center. I can't sit home and wait for a signature to happen. I know we have FFL's and attorneys that this is a no brainer for. I just don't want to find the answer out sitting in the pokey! Thanks

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I don't recall this question coming up before, and I must have missed it if it did. I have found a pistol that I want to purchase from an individual that lives too far away to make it feasible to make the trip but is still in LA. as am I. He says he can ship it to me direct, no FFL. I am told that long guns within the same state is ok. Does it also apply to pistols as well? If it can be shipped by UPS or Fed ex do I just go and sign at the distribution center. I can't sit home and wait for a signature to happen. I know we have FFL's and attorneys that this is a no brainer for. I just don't want to find the answer out sitting in the pokey! Thanks

Does he want you to mail him a money order too? Usually things like this are scams...If it is a user from here, PM me their name please.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Does he want you to mail him a money order too? Usually things like this are scams...If it is a user from here, PM me their name please.

No scam Austin, I am the seller and it is perfectly legal in the state of LA. to ship a pistol to another individual by fedex or ups but not by usps (postal mail). The burden falls on the shipper and not the reciever if any legal issues arise which there should be none.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    No scam Austin, I am the seller and it is perfectly legal in the state of LA. to ship a pistol to another individual by fedex or ups but not by usps (postal mail). The burden falls on the shipper and not the reciever if any legal issues arise which there should be none.

Gotcha. We usually advocate people not to participate in mail sales due to the ease of getting scammed.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Gotcha. We usually advocate people not to participate in mail sales due to the ease of getting scammed.

Not a problem and I dont blame you for that.

And to add on, check this article out: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ping-firearms/

In particular these lines:

"Yes, as a non-licensee you can ship pistols through a contract carrier, but ONLY within the same state.
    -Yes, as a non-licensee you can ship a pistol out of state, but ONLY to a licensed dealer. The BATFE states, *In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.*
    *A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.* -BATFE
    -And as an added bonus, *A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.* -BATFE

References:
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]"

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    Last I checked it wasn't illegal to ship a pistol in state to a individual using a private carrier but it was against the policy of UPS and Fedex if it's a handgun.

Last edited:

230gr

Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    Jefferson Parish
    Thanks everyone, I just wasn't sure and please I don't want anyone to think that there was any indication of something afoul in my conversations with the seller. I simply didn't know. The laws can be hard to define by a non-attorney. That's why I am a member here, cause ya'll know things I don't. Thanks again.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks everyone, I just wasn't sure and please I don't want anyone to think that there was any indication of something afoul in my conversations with the seller. I simply didn't know. The laws can be hard to define by a non-attorney. That's why I am a member here, cause ya'll know things I don't. Thanks again.

No worries. I would still recommend transferring it using FFL's though so there is a paper trail. I also typically never buy / sell without a bill of sale either though.

Top Bottom