home security camera systems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Not currently running anything but I see Costco sending me emails about every 3rd month with a few hundred dollars off a set. Might wanna look between there and sams club.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    I have the Swann 4 camera HD system from Best Buy. I believe it was around $400.00. I have been very satisfied with it. I have caught four different thieves in my neighborhood with it. The picture is nice and clear, but don't expect to read a license plate from about 30ft away. I have two cameras set to record 24/7 and two set to record motion only. I get about 3.5 weeks of recording before it has to overwrite.

I also have the Arlo cameras inside my house. I wouldn't recommend them for anything other than checking in on dogs or kids. I also wouldn't put them outside since they are wireless and can be pulled down very easily. They are great for wireless cameras, but if you don't have the settings right then they can drain your batteries (which are the expensive CR123) very quickly. There is also a very noticeable lag in the live feeds. It's about 4-7 seconds which isn't much, but it does bother me.

critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    I’ve set up quite a few HD camera sets for myself, my mom, friends etc… and I’ve gone through quite a few cameras testing out which ones work the best. After tons of trial and error - buying cheap cameras and super expensive high end cameras - I finally came up with a really good camera system. It’s a HD-TVI system with the ability to add ip cameras as well if I wished to. The configuration I have on one of my houses now is capable of reading license plates from about 40 or so feet away at night and crystal clear pictures during the day. It is a “Frankenstein system” though with everything purchased separately from Amazon, Monoprice and places like that. I’ve found that the “box store” packaged camera systems suck which I why I started just building my own systems from individual cameras, HD DVR, power supply, etc…

This is a review of one of the cameras I use now to read license plates. I paid $99 it’s $79 now. It takes some work and trial and error with getting it just right especially at night but as you can see it does read plates at night. I left the review on Amazon and there’s 2 pics from my house showing how well it works.

https://www.amazon.com/HDView-Megap...=1487269189&sr=8-1&keywords=tvi+license+plate

The other cameras I use are all HD and can be purchased from Amazon or Ebay as well and have awesome pictures on them. They range between $30-60 each. I’ve attached 2 screenshots from different houses I just captured on the app I use to monitor them while away. If anyone wants details on the cameras I can post the links.

a3018f38a0665bf1e203b2f049c6299e.jpg
    8c3b7eb75af660e0ed356b1dc8e2912d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I’ve set up quite a few HD camera sets for myself, my mom, friends etc… and I’ve gone through quite a few cameras testing out which ones work the best. After tons of trial and error - buying cheap cameras and super expensive high end cameras - I finally came up with a really good camera system. It’s a HD-TVI system with the ability to add ip cameras as well if I wished to. The configuration I have on one of my houses now is capable of reading license plates from about 40 or so feet away at night and crystal clear pictures during the day. It is a *Frankenstein system* though with everything purchased separately from Amazon, Monoprice and places like that. I’ve found that the *box store* packaged camera systems suck which I why I started just building my own systems from individual cameras, HD DVR, power supply, etc…

This is a review of one of the cameras I use now to read license plates. I paid $99 it’s $79 now. It takes some work and trial and error with getting it just right especially at night but as you can see it does read plates at night. I left the review on Amazon and there’s 2 pics from my house showing how well it works.

https://www.amazon.com/HDView-Megap...=1487269189&sr=8-1&keywords=tvi+license+plate

The other cameras I use are all HD and can be purchased from Amazon or Ebay as well and have awesome pictures on them. They range between $30-60 each. I’ve attached 2 screenshots from different houses I just captured on the app I use to monitor them while away. If anyone wants details on the cameras I can post the links.

a3018f38a0665bf1e203b2f049c6299e.jpg
    8c3b7eb75af660e0ed356b1dc8e2912d.jpg

I want to see a license plate at 40 ft away at night.

critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    Here's a few pics. They're not $2000 license plate reader camera quality but hey it's $100. Better than I thought I'd ever get.

726ed377f13887ef8febc5688123554d.jpg

Car parked in front of a neighbors driveway.

c63960dc9523dee351c23594657aebf9.jpg

Night shot zoomed in using zoom on the DVR and shot from the pic on the monitor.

9616051fbf21212d39c92c6e8b7161fd.jpg

For reference of distance. I had the license plate camera and a regular nonHD camera with super LEDs next to it at the time. Parked car during the day.

746c50c1c9931c8df94135177b2796df.jpg
    043ff91c99fa0c38df256d98e62cd587.jpg

Now granted at night I'm on a curve so cars need to slow a bit to make the turn. That's where I get the shot. It's zoomed all the way in right in the middle of the road. Cars going 40 miles an hour I'm not sure how well it would work.

SherW

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Canada
    I think if you want a zoom feature, then drome security cameras are best. They have zoom feature along with the high clarity. It records day and night videos with high clarity. It is a DVR based system and motion detector. It records as long as the motion is occurring. I'm not sure whether it is weatherproof or not. You have to check that. Otherwise, it is a good camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom