IWB, anything really better than Crossbreed?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    When I find something that works, I tend to just stick with it and stop looking around.

When I first started carrying a gun, many years ago, I got a Crossbreed SuperTuck in horse leather and I have zero complaints about it. I've been using the same holster with a G19 first, then a G30S for the last few years.

I just bought a G43 for when I want to minimize bulk. Now I need a holster for it. I am dead set on an IWB holster. Since time marches on, I am wondering if there might now be anything actually better that the Crossbreed? I get option anxiety just googling this stuff, so I would appreciate input from people who have used a Crossbreed holster and are now using something else.

Thanks!

P.S. I should add a little intimate detail. I wear my holster against bare skin, if you know what I mean. That's one of the reasons I love the Crossbreed, it stays put against the skin in a way it doesn't against fabric. Yet it doesn't get sweaty in the summer. I like that. So I'm thinking plastic might be out, but I'm still open to suggestions.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't have a real cross breed, but I have a VERY similar knock off. And I like the MTAC since it's every bit as comfortable, but has a smaller foot print. also feel it "curves" around my hip better since the points its "riveted" in are closer together so it leaves more of the holster "flexible" if you kinda understand what I'm trying to describe.

I always thought my MTAC was the most comfortable, but I bought a CTAC (after owning an infidel) for my M&P and man, talking about comfortable. Easier to slide on and off than the MTAC, and the two flaps at the bottom conform a little better that a whole leather backing. BUT I bought a CTAC for my USPc and it didn't feel as comfortable. They were purchased many years apart and the USPc had more holes in the clips which I think is part of the comfort issue, since its longer I can feel the bottom of one while seated. My m&p had 4 holes and 5 in the USP I believe.

DSpangler

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    NOLA
    I have a Crossbreed for my Glock 30, and have enjoyed it over the years. I got a Stealth Gear "Ventcore" for my Glock 43 with TLR-6. It's single clip, very minimal, and the backing material appears soft and durable. I've carried it daily for almost 2 months and am really liking it. I usually wear an undershirt, but with the Stealth Gear the material doesn't irritate my bare skin either.

Geezer Squid

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was a "dyed-in-the-wool" IWB hybrid holster user for years - Crossbreed, Mtac, and several others. I carried Glock 34, Glock 30S, CZ75B, CZ75 Compact, Sig P938 and Tristar C100. Then on a whim I ordered a TT Holster "Big Mikes" Special and I haven't carried in anything else since. I personally was astonished at how much more comfortable I found the leather holster to be. You can look at their stuff here: http://www.mcssl.com/store/a9856d0dead4463ea8f07338d4d909/iwb-holsters

Good luck!

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I have a MTAC and a Crossbreed for my P2000sk. I've used the breed once and went back to the MTAC. The Crossbreed is less sturdy than my MTAC, I prefer the MTACs clips over the metal ones on the Crossbreed, and the MTAC has an extra layer of leather that covers the backs of the rivets, The Crossbreed has them exposed.

edit- And I wear an undershirt 99.9% of the time, not because of holster rub, but the aggressive grips on all my carry pistols will rub bare skin raw!

Last edited:

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I was a "dyed-in-the-wool" IWB hybrid holster user for years - Crossbreed, Mtac, and several others. I carried Glock 34, Glock 30S, CZ75B, CZ75 Compact, Sig P938 and Tristar C100. Then on a whim I ordered a TT Holster "Big Mikes" Special and I haven't carried in anything else since. I personally was astonished at how much more comfortable I found the leather holster to be. You can look at their stuff here: http://www.mcssl.com/store/a9856d0dead4463ea8f07338d4d909/iwb-holsters

Good luck!

Looks like that holster has closed belt loops? So you would have to remove the belt to take off the holster? That would be a deal breaker for me.

I always thought my MTAC was the most comfortable, but I bought a CTAC (after owning an infidel) for my M&P and man, talking about comfortable.

That does look like it would work well. It has a much smaller leather backing than the Crossbreed. I think I like the size of the CB, as it is very stable. There is just enough friction between the leather and the skin to keep even a heavier gun like the G30 from sagging my pants. The more I think about it, that might be the one reason I like the Crossbreed so much. It doesn't feel like it hangs off the belt. On the rare occasion that I do wear fabric under the holster, I'm constantly pulling up my pants.

I think I just answered my own question... Probably no need to fix something that ain't the least bit broken. I'll order another horse hide Crossbreed.

Thanks for all your input!

Last edited:

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    I have the Crossbreed Mini-tuk in hoarsehide for my 43. It's a great holster, can't imagine anything would really be better. I agree, don't try to fix what ain't broke.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Are you looking to stick to a leather backed holster? Do you plan to carry at 3:00-5:00 o clock? You could always try a IWB Hybrid w/Adj cant FOMI clip. It's a bit different than the larger super tuck holster with the double clips. But much easier to put on and take off.

14fcf1100e226830f78f6496b3966e71.jpg

cfc6bc6c9566b636a153dc3150de24f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    I've had an alien gear for my xds for 2 summers now, always on bare skin. I like it and wear it every day. They've got great customer service in my experience, my first backing plate had a fraying issue early on and they immediately sent me a replacement. They also have a 30 day return policy, you don't like it send it back.
    I've had my eye on this, just to try something different. GLOCK G17/22/31 REVOLUTION - IWB MINI - LEFT HAND https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS2C2EJ/
    But I'm not sure. The ventilation in the sweat plate appeals to me.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    Probably no need to fix something that ain't the least bit broken.

This is right. If you found one you like stick with it. I just got the minituck for my 43 and I really like it. It's a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be. The only complaint I have is the ridiculous crosses on the clips.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Got a Crossbreed in horse hide. My old one for my G30 is ten years old and as comfortable as a pair of old sneakers. This new one is pure torture! I must have forgotten the break in phase. I know it will get there, but damn...

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    I haven't had good success running an IWB with only one belt loop. Two things to think about:

First, the single loop is farther away from your body than if there were two spread out....so they can be a little harder to conceal.

Second (and more important in my opinion) is that with only one belt loop the holster has the natural tendency to rock. I want the grip of the pistol to be in absolutely the same position all the time, relative to my belt. If you dont have this issue, great. But in my drills my muscle memory knows where the grip should be, and often the pistol would have rotated slightly causing me a sub par grip and extraction. Just my two cents. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom