My new hog/ primitive season shooter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jacob525

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 24, 2011
    Shreveport
    I really wanted to do a .357 but unfortuntely CVA doesnt make one and the H&R variety are impossible to find/ungodly expensive so i settled on the .44
    They barrel was cut to 16.25 and the overall length is almost identical to a AR carbine with the stock collapsed. I gunkoted all the metal in magpul green and flat black. Topped it with a 2-7x prostaff. Its surisingly accurate within 100yds, light and versatile. Barnes makes some raeally nice solid copper 225gr XPB's for it so its got some nasty pills to send down the tube. Velocity is listed as 1275 from a 6" barrel so ill have to get the chrono out to see what theyre really doing.
    fd1137b0d21a87f8de68387c218b2de9.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jacob525

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 24, 2011
    Shreveport
    Only additional thing I'd do it thread it for a can.
    Try out Hornady FTXs too, the leverlution (SP?) rounds do it to em.
    I havent done much with the hornady. I really like the solid coppers that barnes offer. Youve had good success with hornady though? I seriously considered having it threade when i cut it but then id have to buy a 45 can.......i couldnt decide how much i should polish this turd! Lol..... in a weak moment i almost sent the barrel off to twisted barrel to lose some weight but but uts comparable to a fully loaded AR......although, admittedly, it cycles a little bit slower

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    Youve had good success with hornady though?
    I run an Marlin lever action and I've got about a dozen hog that I've killed with the ftx rounds. All single hits, between 25 and 100 yds. Usually DRT. Had one run about 50 yds but he was already hoofing it when I shot him. Caught him a little far forward on the breast bone but it did the job.

Jacob525

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 24, 2011
    Shreveport
    I run an Marlin lever action and I've got about a dozen hog that I've killed with the ftx rounds. All single hits, between 25 and 100 yds. Usually DRT. Had one run about 50 yds but he was already hoofing it when I shot him. Caught him a little far forward on the breast bone but it did the job.
    Much appreciation for the testimony.....ill have to buy a box and give them a try. I fell in love with the varmint grenades and solid copper offerings from barnes ive pretty much put my blinders on to everything else! Lol

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    when it comes to hogs I usually stick to lever actions 45-70 or 44 mag, they are the original thumpers, very hard hitting and very cheap to reload... I kinda have the same set up I have a Thompson encore in 45-70 with a 20" threaded barrel that I now use with my silencer co hybrid, im launching 405gr hard cast at around 1000fps and generating over 900ft/lbs energy at 100 yards.... If I wanna use super sonics I usually use my hand loads either 405gr hard cast at around 1700 fps or 300gr hp at around 1850fps and those are some real thumpers... You would be surprised how quiet this gun is. If im shooting it off the back porch my wife inside doesn't even know im shooting it. Havent had a chance to get a 44 mag barrel yet for it and thread it but I do have 3 1894's 44 mag and a ruger 77/44 in 44 mag also. Don't under estimate that little 44 mag, with standard velocity out of a 18" barrel your well over 1700fps and almost the same energy...

Attachments

• gun2.jpg
      gun2.jpg
      124.9 KB · Views: 85
    Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I also have a 16" .300 aac barrel for my encore, and like you said it feels silly short, almost like I need a tax stamp for it!! but it handles very well and very portable even with my silencer co omega .30, with factory subsonic .300aac ammo my subsonic 45/70 is actually quieter if that makes any sense. But it deff handles very well! In fact I was gonna get my encore .308 barrel cut and threaded next but might look into a .44 barrel lol, shooting factory 44 special should be subsonic and very quiet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      255.2 KB · Views: 93
    Last edited:

Jacob525

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 24, 2011
    Shreveport
    Looks great with the can on it!