Best way to get rid of Squirrels

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Squirrels that you can not shoot, that is.
    At this point that have eat my roof, roof stacks, ect.
    Looks like traps are high $
    I hate tree rats, at this point they just laugh at ya.

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    If you can't shoot them you have to trap them. I got rid of 22 in my yard last year with a trap and one bag of corn. I ordered a squirrelinator on eBay. Not sure that is the proper spelling. I staked it down and put a cup of corn in it. One by one, two by two I would get them and haul them a couple miles down the road and let them go. In about three weeks they were all gone.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Thanks just looked at them only 55 bucks with a bin. Did you just use bagged corn like walmart sells?
    All the ones we looked at were costly after being shipped. Or were cheapo made.
    Sick of them just hanging off the side of the roof, bricks ect laughing at me. They eat the palm tree to make nests and eat the lead roof jacks.
    Had to swap 4 last time and roof around them.

Last edited:

Ronin_Jedi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    US
    Been told wolf or coyote urine works as well for squirrels in the attic. Assume it'd work outdoors. Think you can get it at Home Depot.

We solved it years ago by cutting down our oak tree :(. At least no more squirrels.

Friend has issue with both squirrels and opossum due to his fig tree. Moral: oak trees are not only attractant for squirrels.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    Thanks just looked at them only 55 bucks with a bin. Did you just use bagged corn like walmart sells?
    All the ones we looked at were costly after being shipped. Or were cheapo made.
    Sick of them just hanging off the side of the roof, bricks ect laughing at me. They eat the palm tree to make nests and eat the lead roof jacks.
    Had to swap 4 last time and roof around them.
    Yes I just used whole corn. Our Walmart only sell it in the fall. I go to local feed store and get mine. 7 bucks for 50 lbs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Been told wolf or coyote urine works as well for squirrels in the attic. Assume it'd work outdoors. Think you can get it at Home Depot.

We solved it years ago by cutting down our oak tree :(. At least no more squirrels.

Friend has issue with both squirrels and opossum due to his fig tree. Moral: oak trees are not only attractant for squirrels.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Red fox urine works, spray a little around the eaves where they like to chew. Can get it on ebay for about $8.00

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    D-Con rat poison.

I would advise against this. Potential for ingestion by unintended animals. Also when things eat this and get preyed upon or scavenged once dead, the predator/scavenger can be affected. I think the other ideas would have less potential for adverse and unintended consequences. My $.02

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    the big rat traps smeared with peanut butter and hung on the side of a tree about 3-4 feet off the ground work well.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I would advise against this. Potential for ingestion by unintended animals. Also when things eat this and get preyed upon or scavenged once dead, the predator/scavenger can be affected. I think the other ideas would have less potential for adverse and unintended consequences. My $.02

not entirely true, d con is wafferin, it has a low rate for secondary poisoning, which is why you can buy it at wal mart.
    However the dangers of non target pests would be true. Also I don't know how well it would work, most rat poison is flavored for rats with a fish type oil, don't know how squirrels would react to it.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    A Gamo pellet rifle and a glass of bourbon (just one) works well. A buddy of mine showed me his "squirrel log" last week - over 660 in the past few years.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Disclaimer: I do not advocate breaking any laws though. Check with your local laws before dispatching rodents in your backyard. If you choose to break the law, just make sure you don't have the loud pellets in the Gamo so you don't bother your neighbors - and don't miss.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Disclaimer: I do not advocate breaking any laws though. Check with your local laws before dispatching rodents in your backyard. If you choose to break the law, just make sure you don't have the loud pellets in the Gamo so you don't bother your neighbors - and don't miss.

I dont either. And I dont advocate drinking and handling firearms at the same time. Baby bottle nipples placed over the muzzle and held on by rubber bands works pretty good at suppressing some noise. Dont ask me how I know! :dogkeke:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I dont either. And I dont advocate drinking and handling firearms at the same time. Baby bottle nipples placed over the muzzle and held on by rubber bands works pretty good at suppressing some noise. Dont ask me how I know! :dogkeke:

With a Gamo, you don't need that.

Top Bottom