FRC Range Review

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Oct 22, 2012
    After having gone and shot at the new FRC range in Baton Rouge a few times, I thought it best to write a few words about and share my experience of how great my experience was. First, upon driving up, it is apparent that FRC has a very well manicured building and parking lot. A lot of ranges have gravel lots or old parking lots with only a few spots, not FRC though. The parking lot is a large area with enough spots for everyone at the range and a few more. The building is new and clean. Unlike other ranges, FRC does not have a policy that you have to unload your carry weapon before entering. As long as the gun is in a proper holster (concealed or open), you are good to go. If you do not have a bag to carry your pistols or rifles in with, you are provided one upon walking in, which keeps people from handling firearms at locations besides the actual firing lane.

As you walk in, there is always someone right by the door greeting you and welcoming you to the range. Immediately to the left are clear glass (bullet resistant) windows that show all lanes. Also, every lane has cameras in it and are constantly watched by the range master who sits directly outside the glass. Moving forward, you enter the store and check in area.

Before being allowed to shoot at the range, all shooters are required to watch an informative safety video. I have brought a few friends who aren't as familiar with guns as many of us are, and they found the video to be highly valuable. It sets the tone of how safety is the number one priority at the range. After watching the video, every member is given a membership card (free) so they do not have to watch the video every time they come in. I am told that each year it will be required to watch the video again.

After checking in and paying the range fee, shooters are free to use the range for as long as they wish. The firing lanes themselves are awesome. Each lane is spacious and has an adjustable light. The targets move out to sets of four preset distances (one button touch) or you can type in how many yards you want the targets to move to. I really like how the distance is shown in each lane so you don't have to guestimate how far the target is moved back. In regards to quality, the range is essentially brand new, so everything works quickly and as intended. The backdrop is coated in many ground up tires which surprisingly helps keep the noise level down. There is also a top-notch ventilation system that keeps it cool in the range - my glasses don't even fog up usually!

As for the staff and other services offered: Everyone is very nice and seem to enjoy their jobs. I haven't participated in any classes at the range yet, but I look forward to trying them out later this year! Classes currently offered are First Time Shooter, CCW, Personal Protection in the Home, Refuse to Be a Victim, Firearms Safety in the Home, Trauma Hemorrhage Class, and of course Force on Force. There is a very modern "shoot-house" that is customizable to each situation and allows for realistic training in different situations. It is of my understand that FRC intends to be a lot more than a typical shooting range - their main focus will be on providing quality classes.

Last weekend I was given a tour of the two story shoot-house and shown how it can work with regular and low-light training. It is definitely a very cool building and one of a kind for the Baton Rouge area (for civilians).

My only complaints about the range are that upon walking in for the first time, it isn't very clear where you need to go to check in or get ready to shoot. A sign at the door stating "range check-in forward" or some indication of the process of going from walking in, to video, to paying, to shooting would be beneficial. Also, only one side of the range is open due to the flood, but I am told they will double the current lane capacity by November or December of this year.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know. I love supporting new businesses in the Baton Rouge area, and FRC is definitely a great addition that will allow shooters more freedom to practice and maintain their skills!

Austin

Bigchillin83

Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    good review!!! answered a lot of questions..... glad to see the rules and attitude of staff is pleasurable. I have been in several ranges in the br area, and when I walk in I feel as if I am going into a federal court house for a trial and I am already presumed guilty of charges and treated the same way. Utter disrespect and talked to like I am a waste of space, and any question I may have is a nuisance to them, they don't have time for me. I understand that safety is 1st, heck I work in a plant all they do is cram safety down your face, so I can take a good bit of it, but it is not right how they talk to people and how they treat people like they are all 100% stupider than the staff. I pretty much gave up indoor ranges for the long drive to a wma outdoor range, luckily now I live on large enough property to shoot at my house, but I do like going to a range also and now I know about frc I will give them a shot... thanks for the review

Last edited:

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Thanks Austin! Will check them out. Sounds like a great place to check out and thanks for the review.

FRC Indoor Range

Feb 14, 2017
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hello Hunter,

You are correct. We bought the buildings from Diamond, but we sunk a lot of money into redesigning and rebuilding the entire facility. I promise you won't recognize the place! Lol! Hope to see you soon!

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Great review!!! I am anxious to go do the SIMUNITIONS events. I want to go take a ride out there just to tour the place. From their website, it looks like they offer quite a bit as far as training goes. I would want to participate in actual training and not just an expensive fancier version of Laser Tag or Paintball.... I hope it is what I think it is!!

Sounds like a very similar setup to Jefferson Indoor Range (aside from the shoothouse!). Same layout... walk in... check in to the right (main desk) with rental firearms lining the wall behind the register. To the left, Glass windows behind each of the 14 lanes (25 yards). Same "on target" electronic setup as FRC range. Themed rental packages for Semi and Full auto firearms.

They also have handgun rental packages... so you can go in, pay one price and pick three pistols and it includes ammo, targets, eyes and ears, etc.

No classes available there yet... they are working on a members lounge area and classroom facilities upstairs.

Memberships may be little high when you look at them, but it is a brand new facility and if you shoot 2 times a week or more, it pays for itself.

Just behind Jefferson Gun Outlet and a lot more up-to-date equipment than Shooters Club on Hickory, but Shooters Club still does all the classes.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Oct 22, 2012
    Great review!!! I am anxious to go do the SIMUNITIONS events. I want to go take a ride out there just to tour the place. From their website, it looks like they offer quite a bit as far as training goes. I would want to participate in actual training and not just an expensive fancier version of Laser Tag or Paintball.... I hope it is what I think it is!!

Sounds like a very similar setup to Jefferson Indoor Range (aside from the shoothouse!). Same layout... walk in... check in to the right (main desk) with rental firearms lining the wall behind the register. To the left, Glass windows behind each of the 14 lanes (25 yards). Same "on target" electronic setup as FRC range. Themed rental packages for Semi and Full auto firearms.

They also have handgun rental packages... so you can go in, pay one price and pick three pistols and it includes ammo, targets, eyes and ears, etc.

No classes available there yet... they are working on a members lounge area and classroom facilities upstairs.

Memberships may be little high when you look at them, but it is a brand new facility and if you shoot 2 times a week or more, it pays for itself.

Just behind Jefferson Gun Outlet and a lot more up-to-date equipment than Shooters Club on Hickory, but Shooters Club still does all the classes.

Let me know when you plan on popping by and if time allows, I will be there too! I agree that the membership price is slightly steep, but as you mentioned, if you are going once a week, it pays for itself. If you go more than 20 times a year (every 2.5 weeks), it's worth it actually. I personally have a gold membership now and find that I have an awesome incentive to go shoot more and to bring a friend with me. So now my buddy or my dad and I are making it a priority to shoot once a week where before I was barely shooting once a month.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'll be there today around 4:30 or so if anyone wants to join!

Jasarii

Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Finally had an opportunity to visit FRC today. Just as others have said above, it is a first class facility and the staff was courteous and professional. Watched the short safety video, filled out forms and was off to the firing lanes. The lanes were well lit and and plenty of space on the bench top for mags/ammo etc. enjoyed the visit and will be back soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom