40 lbs of Pork Butts Smokin'!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I was asked to make pulled pork for a friend of my wife for this Saturday so over the weekend I took out twenty pounds worth of pork butts to thaw for smoking either tomorrow or Friday. On Monday they asked to double the amount of pulled pork and needed it for tomorrow for a parade party in the evening. So I took out two more butts to thaw and even though they aren't thawed they'll be fine. But I had to move up smoking them to today.
    so, this morning they got a rub down with agave and liberally seasoned with rub. I was going to use my Keg to do the original two butts but decided to go with the Traeger using apple pellets fro fuel.

Ready for the smoke!

DSC00729.jpg

In the Traeger

DSC00733.jpg

DSC00734.jpg

After I had them going a few minutes I decided to add a lil more smoke using my A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER using the same apple pellets in the Traeger.

DSC00737.jpg

I threw together a mix of agave, apple cider vinegar and 7 Up to spritz the butts later. The agave and 7 Up should help with the bark.
    Oh and yeah, they're paying me to do this for them. :)

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA

Alright, so that cook is done with. It was midnight when I finally took them off the Traeger at 193-197 degrees. These were to longest stalled butts I think I've ever done.

Since it was so late and I was exhausted from doing yardwork during the day while the butts were smoking I decided to wait and pull them in the morning. I took a big stainless pot I have and put all four butts in it and put the pot into a cube ice chest with a couple of towels for insulation. When I got up this morning the butts were still at 170 degrees and up.

Here are a couple of not so great pictures of the butts before they were completely done lsat night.

DSC00742.jpg

DSC00743.jpg

This morning I grabbed a cup of coffee and got to work pulling the pork. I hate the from forty pounds of butts I only got 21 pounds of pulled pork after the smoking and removing the fat leftover and bones(which the bones slid out nicely to prove the butts were done).

The pulled pork!

DSC00745.jpg

Tastes great with perfect smoke flavor!
    DSC00747.jpg

Oh, not all of this is leaving the house. Some will be for dinner tonight on warm pistolettes.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Here's a good one........

This pork was for a friend of my wife. The wife dropped it off to her at 11:00 this morning and she had an interior decorator at her house. Debra(wife's friend)immediately opened one of the pans to taste the pulled pork and the wife says she couldn't stop exclaiming how delicious it was. Lol..... The interior decorator tasted it liked it so much she asked if SHE could get a pan for Monday for a Rex parade function. So the wife called and asked me if I could/would do it.
    Compliments will get you everywhere, huh? I'll just take the other forty pounds of butts out of the freezer in a little while.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Here's a good one........

This pork was for a friend of my wife. The wife dropped it off to her at 11:00 this morning and she had an interior decorator at her house. Debra(wife's friend)immediately opened one of the pans to taste the pulled pork and the wife says she couldn't stop exclaiming how delicious it was. Lol..... The interior decorator tasted it liked it so much she asked if SHE could get a pan for Monday for a Rex parade function. So the wife called and asked me if I could/would do it.
    Compliments will get you everywhere, huh? I'll just take the other forty pounds of butts out of the freezer in a little while.

Good deal!

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I've never compared the starting weight with the finished product. That's great info. Is that consistent for you?

I will be doing some more here shortly for a church fund raiser. I'm thinking we could get 40 plus sandwiches out of 4 butts. @ 8oz per sandwich. Any thoughts?

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    * oz is a lot of meat for one sandwich unless it's a poboy.
    I'd go with over 40 lbs of butts to be safe. Sometimes you can end up with 40% of starting weight depending on fat content.
    Also when sauce is added it's not as fluffy so to say as without sauce.

T-Bub

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2016
    Centerville
    looks great! If you dont mind I have a few questions.

What temp do you set the pellet grill?

Do you wrap them in foil after reaching a certain internal temp or do you leave them open the entire cook?

Is there not enough smoke flavor without the smoke tube?

I am getting a pellet grill this week so I am a noob!

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Sure!
    Set you pellet cooker at 225 degrees for pork butts smoking for pulled pork. After about 4 hours you can raise the temp to 250-275 to spped up the cook if you want to hurry it up.

No foil wrapping is necessary.

I used the Amazin pellet smoker to try to add a deper smoke flavor which wasn't and isn't necessary with pellet smokers and no a smokin' tube probably wouldn't produce enough smoke for pork butts. It would be fine for smaller cut of meat, cheese and seafood.

Any other questions I can help you with just ask.
    What kind of pellet cooker are you getting?

T-Bub

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2016
    Centerville
    thanks for the response. I am going to get the Green Mountain Daniel Boone with Wifi. My dad picked one up last week without the wifi from Outside and In in Houma. I will more than likely have to drive to Sportsmans Warehouse in Slidell to get what I want.

I have pork ribs, a turkey roll, and a beef sirloin tip roast in the freezer. I need to figure out what I want to cook on it first.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom