The truth about the HPA and the ASA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    https://modernrifleman.net/2017/02/...doubt-on-the-american-suppressor-association/

Please read this article. The HPA is important to our liberty but it's chances of passage have been GREATLY overstated by the ASA. This article is accurate and is directly on point with everything I hear from the people that really run this industry.

I know many of you are incredibly disappointed that HPA isn't happening anytime soon, but it is important that you know the truth. The misinformation that has been spread has caused a pause in our industry that threatens even the biggest of companies.

Don't wait for HPA, it isn't coming soon. Buy now or there could be no suppressor companies left.

53b5a1020c4588a0e17da6de317188ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Wow. Did not know that about the ASA. That sucks. And when everyone backs away from them and it dies, what chance does the bill have then? We really need the NRA to start throwing their weight behind this bill. I'd put it at more likely to pass and probably more productive than national reciprocity. Where the F*** are they on this??

What I find lacking in the article and your post is the effect of the 41p on this situation as well. It doesn't fall squarely on the ASA's shoulders, Obama has at least as much blame. Is there any reason Sessions can't or won't reverse this rule (at least the 'responsible persons' part)? HPA is not affecting my stamp collecting but the ATF rule actually IS. I want another form 1 SBR for example, but YOU try getting my wife to take her limited time off and spend it at the police station getting fingerprinted. Eventually we will get there, but it'll take time.

There was a run on cans, and then a pretty predictable dip. To imply the ASA is to blame for people losing jobs is a stretch. I 100% agree that the half-asseryand misleading people (intentionally or more probably 'ineptly') is bad, but come on, there's more to the situation than that, right?

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Wow. Did not know that about the ASA. That sucks. And when everyone backs away from them and it dies, what chance does the bill have then? We really need the NRA to start throwing their weight behind this bill. I'd put it at more likely to pass and probably more productive than national reciprocity. Where the F*** are they on this??

What I find lacking in the article and your post is the effect of the 41p on this situation as well. It doesn't fall squarely on the ASA's shoulders, Obama has at least as much blame. Is there any reason Sessions can't or won't reverse this rule (at least the 'responsible persons' part)? HPA is not affecting my stamp collecting but the ATF rule actually IS. I want another form 1 SBR for example, but YOU try getting my wife to take her limited time off and spend it at the police station getting fingerprinted. Eventually we will get there, but it'll take time.

There was a run on cans, and then a pretty predictable dip. To imply the ASA is to blame for people losing jobs is a stretch. I 100% agree that the half-asseryand misleading people (intentionally or more probably 'ineptly') is bad, but come on, there's more to the situation than that, right?

Great questions. I'll do my best to answer all of them.

I don't think 41F is going anywhere but I think it needs to be modified to something between the old process where they knew absolutely nothing about the persons on the trust and the prints/pics/proctoscope process they have now. I think it should be just a simple 4473 on each person in the trust whenever an item is applied for.

I have a solution to your wife issue. Get your cans from me. I have my own (not Silencer Shop) live scan fingerprinting equipment. You and she would come in and get your pics and prints done once and then when you want to buy more items we just reprint them and the only additional action item she would need to do is the filling out of a new Responsible Person Questionnaire which you could bring or mail in to me.

You are correct, there is no doubt that the pre-41F run and post-41F hassles have slowed the market, but let me tell you unequivocally that "waiting on HPA" is the biggest market killer today. Myself and every other dealer hear it constantly---from almost every person who looks at cans. Would all of those people who say they are "waiting on HPA" buy cans if they hadn't celebrated this as a done deal since November? Obviously not. But many would have and many do once we explain the reality of the situation. As you can imagine, it sucks having to spend twenty minutes extra with every client to relieve them of incorrect propaganda that shouldn't have been spread in the first place (at least not by people who are supposed to be on our team).

Finally, that Silencer Shop picture. Let me tell you a story. Silencer Shop was cut off by both Silencerco and Dead Air well before 41F. Together Silencerco and Dead Air control approximately 90% of the suppressor market (approximately 82% and 8%, respectively). Every other silencer manufacturer combined controls the other 10%. This is a small and incestuous industry. I had drinks the night before SHOT with guys from SCO, Dead Air, Gemtech, Rugged, and the biggest silencer distributor in the country. Some of those guys had also worked for AAC, Sig, and/or Silencer Shop. We talked about that pic and agreed it was ********. Knowing how many forms fit in one of those boxes (approximately) even if they had 100% of the production capacity of every manufacturer they sell (which they don't because all of them also sell through other channels) they couldn't have filled that bed. It was a photo op they created and it is fake. That said, Silencer Shop has sold a lot of cans but their day is past. They thought they were too big to be cut off and they were wrong. They lost most everyone over there who was worth a **** (at one point they had some awesome people working for them).

I hope I didn't get off on too many tangents. If you have any other questions or I can assist you in any way please feel free to post, text, or call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    I've never thought of the ASA as a "powerful" or "influential" group as the article made out.

I for one am not buying another suppressor because of 41F. That goes away, then I have my eyes on some more.

That being said, it is a shame that it is so negatively effecting the suppressor industry with all of the job losses.

I'd be curious to know how some of the smaller groups are making out, TBAC, SAS, Rugged, etc through all of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom