Trailer Question?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bulldog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Ruston
    Situation: Trailer with no license plate.

Buyer has a trailer with a bill of sale (no license plate on trailer).
    Trailer is still titled to the seller.
    If buyer were to get stopped by law officer for no license plate, who bears responsibility?
    This is a hypothetical situation...:rolleyes:

Thanks,
    Bulldog...

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Who has the title?

^This.

The buyer should have the signed and notarized title to the trailer.
    Just a bill of sale is not enough to register the trailer.
    And the buyer should be getting the the DMV the get it titled in his name ASAP.

That being said, the buyer is the one pulling the trailer without a tag and would most likely be responsible for having it on the road without a tag.
    If he is on his way home with the trailer from purchasing it he should be OK.
    If date on the bill of sale is 2 weeks ago and he is hauling stuff around on the trailer, probably not.

JMHO
    IANAL

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    did the person you got it from build it or is it manufactured with a SN on it. if a production trailer then It had a build paper and had to be titled within 30 days of buying it. if not then was it ever titled if not then paint it and take it to get inspected as your home build and put a new SN number on and get a new title. if it was a production trailer and he has not title or paper work on it then you are screwed trying to get it transferred to your name.

OH and don't forget to get it inspected for its inspection sticker. and keep it in your truck with its registration.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Trailers have Tittle, Registration and inspections just like a car, truck or MC.
    You have to take the Bill of sale, tittle to the DMV and get a plate or temp-plate same as any thing you drive.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Trailers have Tittle, Registration and inspections just like a car, truck or MC.
    You have to take the Bill of sale, tittle to the DMV and get a plate or temp-plate same as any thing you drive.

I think it's a little more that that. It could be like some other poster above said

ford351c594

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2016
    st bernard louisiana
    If the trailer is in the original owners name and he has a bill of sale to himself from original owner it has to be notarized or the bill of sale is worthless. If said bill of sale is notarized from original trailer owner to seller, then it is safe to buy as you can just do a double transfer. You will need another bill of sale from him to you notarized and then you can go apply for title and have a plate issued.

Also Louisiana has been giving issues on notarization by proxy. Bring the seller with you to the notary or they may send the paper work back. I just went through this and it was quit the issue to get the seller to meet me at a notary after the fact several months later....

bulldog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Ruston
    Thanks for the info guys...
    I was just wondering who would be ticketed, buyer/seller or both.
    Bulldog...

BarneyFife

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    North of BR
    The driver of the vehicle pulling the trailer on a public road with no tag will be the responsible party, plain and simple. No other details matter.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Absolutely correct.

And yet you see guys with no plate stuff falling off it all day long. They never get pulled over I guess.
    I know every time i was pulled over I had both truck and trailer{perm} registrations, Had inspection sticker in hand for trailer {and one on truck window}
    Insurance as License. They did not even ask to see them. Just the car on it. And I am thinking was I going to fast? Are the tie downs still tight? Ect.
    After a storm they have major junk on the road. No plate, no fenders, Stuff nit tied down, stuff falling off onto ground or on cars behind them ect! I used to see it everyday! Someone pulling one with no docs, when i worked on gulf coast saw 2-3 a day. Drives me nuts.

Last edited:

Persecutor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2015
    Denham Springs, La
    Yep. The issue of enforcement is a completely different question from who will be ticketed (vehicle driver or trailer owner).

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom