New hog killer. Suppressed 45-70

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    My personal hybrid cleared last week, so it was time to setup my new hog slayer. The Thermal will be sitting in top of this tonight for opening of night season.

Thanks to Brett at Action Arms in Sulphur for getting the SBL cut down and threaded.

b902af3a0eaa8043ae68fc26cad48629.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    thats been on my list next.... I got the single shot 45/70 encore, and its sweet!!!! especially with subsonics, send me some more info on it, did they have to move the front sight back? can you still use the xs sights with the hybrid on?

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    I had them cut it back so the shoulder sits at 16.25". He trimmed the feed tube and reinstalled the sights, and yep you can use the sights with the Hybrid. Now holds 5+ 1.

Last edited:

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Sweet setup. I have a thing for lever guns and cans. I've got a project I am several years into that may never get finished but it is a 12.5" barrel .44mag lever gun that will be suppressed shooting subsonic 405gr. cast lead bullets. Should be in excess of 900lbs. of energy at the muzzle.

I've got the barrel blank here (needed a faster twist) and I need to send it off to be profiled and chambered.

Should be cool if I ever finish it.

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    Nice. This one is being added to my suppressed levergun collection.

Started with a JM marlin 45LC. Next came a Rossi Ranch hand 38/357 SBR. Now the SBL. I'll have to get family pic together once I finish the full length randhand stock.

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Nice. This one is being added to my suppressed levergun collection.

Started with a JM marlin 45LC. Next came a Rossi Ranch hand 38/357 SBR. Now the SBL. I'll have to get family pic together once I finish the full length randhand stock.

Yeah, mine is on a ranch hand using a Boyd's stock set. I really want to do a .45-70 as well but I like SBRs and the capacity issues with the shorter barrels have kept me from going there.

We've had a few different high zoot levergun SBRs come through and I think the nicest work I have seen so far was a SBR .30-30 from Grizzly.

I'd love to do a Henry but I hate that they are tube loaders.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Very nice! I traded for a Marlin 45-70 this year, added a Leupold scout scope and took two deer with it, may be my favorite hunting gun. I have access to a Hybrid, now I wanna thread it...

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Nice! From the title of the thread, I was expecting a evil black plastic rifle. Have not seen many suppressed lever guns.

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    Yeah, mine is on a ranch hand using a Boyd's stock set. I really want to do a .45-70 as well but I like SBRs and the capacity issues with the shorter barrels have kept me from going there.

We've had a few different high zoot levergun SBRs come through and I think the nicest work I have seen so far was a SBR .30-30 from Grizzly.

I'd love to do a Henry but I hate that they are tube loaders.

Yeah I bet that's a sweet setup. A buddy and I have talked about doing a Henry also. The concern was always the tube feed, and then I thought...Osprey 45. just index it to the side to load and turn it right back into place. May take some tinkering, but it'd be pretty awesome to suppressed an octagon barreled, brass receiver Henry Big Boy. Guess it's time to put that idea into action, since I finally got this one completed.

There's something about suppressed lever guns that just makes you smile.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    mine isn't near as classy as yours lol, but man with subsonics its a real thumper!!!! most of my hunting is under 100 yards so that's my goal next year to connect with the subsonic and see how it performs.. I have caught several hogs in my trap and even though I was a lot closer the subsonic 45-70 made easy quiet work of dispatching them lol. with 405 hard cast well over 900ft/lbs energy at 100 yards, when I shoot it off the back porch and it hits my steel target it sounds like a 20lb hammer is striking it and almost flips my steel over.. I have 3 JM 1894's .44 mag, and 3 45-70 1 JM 1895g, JM 1895 GBL that now has your grey laminate stock on it, and a REP 1895g , idk which one I wanna cut and thread. I know the 44 mag will be super quiet also shooting subsonic 44mag or even factory 44 special. But I must confess the 1895 sbl has been on my bucket list for a while, that is one damn fine lever action, and I don't think I could do anything else to yours to make it any better, well maybe a micro red dot? :mamoru:

Attachments

• gun2.jpg
      gun2.jpg
      124.9 KB · Views: 339

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    0b95c2c4798d7ac92cbc85c4dfb814b9.jpg

Hey, i have one of those!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Nice! Is that a Grizzly? He does beautiful work. Not cheap and long lead times (I think his books are closed right now if you aren't an existing customer), but outstanding work.

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    mine isn't near as classy as yours lol, but man with subsonics its a real thumper!!!! most of my hunting is under 100 yards so that's my goal next year to connect with the subsonic and see how it performs.. I have caught several hogs in my trap and even though I was a lot closer the subsonic 45-70 made easy quiet work of dispatching them lol. with 405 hard cast well over 900ft/lbs energy at 100 yards, when I shoot it off the back porch and it hits my steel target it sounds like a 20lb hammer is striking it and almost flips my steel over.. I have 3 JM 1894's .44 mag, and 3 45-70 1 JM 1895g, JM 1895 GBL that now has your grey laminate stock on it, and a REP 1895g , idk which one I wanna cut and thread. I know the 44 mag will be super quiet also shooting subsonic 44mag or even factory 44 special. But I must confess the 1895 sbl has been on my bucket list for a while, that is one damn fine lever action, and I don't think I could do anything else to yours to make it any better, well maybe a micro red dot? :mamoru:

It's wearing a thermal scope right now. Determine to pop a pig in the middle of the night with it before it kills anything else.

Impressive collection!

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Nice! Is that a Grizzly? He does beautiful work. Not cheap and long lead times (I think his books are closed right now if you aren't an existing customer), but outstanding work.

No, lol! I wish I had that kind of money to throw around...Not that I went cheap. I have a guy....

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    the main reason I went with the encore first is because of using it for primitive weapon, so I can see now its time for me to step up my lever guns lol

Top Bottom