45 Colt Snek Shot

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Made some 45 colt snek shot the other day and just tried a few out.

45 colt case
    4 grains of Bulls eye
    #9 lead shot
    Here's the results!

Attachments

• IMAG00660.jpg
      IMAG00660.jpg
      236.4 KB · Views: 140

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    You use #12? And a cardboard card? I was gonna do some 45acp with #9 and a 35 caliber Gas checks
    Have a bag of #8 from my shot gun reloading days

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    You use #12? And a cardboard card? I was gonna do some 45acp with #9 and a 35 caliber Gas checks
    Have a bag of #8 from my shot gun reloading days

No, I used #9 shot, Some old skeet shells I cut open just for the bbs
    I use some 1/8 felt paper I had bought at auto zone
    I sharpened the edge of a 45 auto and used a dead blow hammer to cut out the wads

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Cool I know guys who bought #12 and was not much better. #9 works better to me and goes little more distance.
    Cards stock from old Primer boxes and 44 Mag or 45 colt like you did sharpened works well. I do have some 410 wads I cut down.
    If you had notta, from the start some Wal-Mart 410 will get ya wads, shot. Even the box they came from can be cut with the 44-45 to make a cover. Threads like this make me want to make up some rubber bullets with Primer only.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Cool I know guys who bought #12 and was not much better. #9 works better to me and goes little more distance.
    Cards stock from old Primer boxes and 44 Mag or 45 colt like you did sharpened works well. I do have some 410 wads I cut down.
    If you had notta, from the start some Wal-Mart 410 will get ya wads, shot. Even the box they came from can be cut with the 44-45 to make a cover. Threads like this make me want to make up some rubber bullets with Primer only.

Well there you go, Should work out well.
    I wanted some low power snek shot for the Judge and cheap! The price of 410 shells are pretty high!

What i did was drop 4 grains of Bullseye down the case then drop a round piece i had cut out on top ( used a 357 case to seat it)
    Then the shot which weighs out at around 195 grains, Then i installed another round disc on top and sealed with Elmer's glue.
    Allow this to dry overnight and your in business with low cost,low power snek/rat shot!

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Gator, i've got a 410 MEC 600 that I use to reload for myself and family members who own Judges, even cast my own 000 buckshot. You welcome to borrow or come here to use it

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Gator, i've got a 410 MEC 600 that I use to reload for myself and family members who own Judges, even cast my own 000 buckshot. You welcome to borrow or come here to use it

Man ,I appreciate that Danny and I may come by just for tips and to pick your brain, I did pick up 75-410 brass cases, Should last a few years, I have a 36 round ball mold.
    Is this cool for buckshot?

Also I have a .41 cal. mold, I forget the weight of the bullet, But I'm thinking 410 slug?

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Yep , the 36 is perfect. I have a couple of different buckshot molds, You got to remember the judge has a .452 bore barrel, a 41 cal bullet will not seal. I have some 450 Mongo loads from a few years ago but they will not chamber in the judge, worked great in a 45/410 contender. That is a 444 marlin expanded to 45 cal with a 45 bullet

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Yep , the 36 is perfect. I have a couple of different buckshot molds, You got to remember the judge has a .452 bore barrel, a 41 cal bullet will not seal. I have some 450 Mongo loads from a few years ago but they will not chamber in the judge, worked great in a 45/410 contender. That is a 444 marlin expanded to 45 cal with a 45 bullet

Ok, I got you on the bore now that you mention it, I have a couple of .452 molds 1 flat nose and 1 round nose, Thanks!!!

Top Bottom