Traffic lawyer for tickets recommendations?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    I got a speeding ticket 76 in a 60. Just my luck... I was following flow of traffic and was passing up another car. Anyway, I was speeding regardless. The officer was an ahole, I was courteous, apologized and admitted I was speeding. He just looked at my DL, registration and told me to sign ticket. Didnt even bother talking or anything. I called up a lawyer, my friend recommended and he quoted $200 fee, which seemed high, and guaranteed won't go on driving record or insurance. The ticket fee would be 200 max but he said he can most likely have it dismissed which means no ticket fee. Anyone a traffic lawyer or have any traffic lawyer recommendations? Court is in Jefferson parish gretna, 2nd district. I will get a lawyer to handle my ticket, as in the long run, my insurance doesn't go up. Thank you.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Before you pay for a lawyer, call the DA's office and ask if you can pay it without it going on your record.

Article 893/894 it. Pay the fine and don't do it again for two years.

Before you pay a lawyer, do what these guys suggested. Whenever you call the DA's office, mention 894. They do this a lot and will likely tell you to go to a website, pay $25 bucks and take a defensive driver course. After that, you pay the ticket, and you are good to go (without insurance going up).

If you are nice, they might just move the ticket to a non-moving if you agree to pay them quick enough too.

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    Thank you all for inputs this far. I'll see how much my ticket would cost and if I can pay without going on record. Not sure about article 893/894 since insurance still would go up for the two or three years? I may consider just going through court process, usually the officers never show up and since they are subpoenad then the case is dismissed unless law is changed or da may just change to non moving violation.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thank you all for inputs this far. I'll see how much my ticket would cost and if I can pay without going on record. Not sure about article 893/894 since insurance still would go up for the two or three years? I may consider just going through court process, usually the officers never show up and since they are subpoenad then the case is dismissed unless law is changed or da may just change to non moving violation.

Insurance doesn't go up at all if you use 894 from my understanding.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA

894 means it gets frozen off the record until it expires. Your insurance company never hears about it, in fact, only the court you file it in knows about it unless you get another ticket before the period is up, in which case everyone knows about it.

Don't EVER bank on an officer not showing up for traffic court. It's a very, very, very (did I say very enough) rare occurrence in an urban legal system. It might happen in rural towns where there's only one or two officers.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    In gretna I use Lance Robinson, he's done quite a few for me, none of which went on my record, all changed to non moving violations that way I would have record that it was "dealt" with. Don't trust a lawyer that just makes things "dissappear". That came to bite my brother in the butt when the lawyer said he handled it, (basically had the clerk keep changing the court date till it was long enough that it was under radar. Only for 10 years later having a flag on his account for that ticket that was never "taken care of".)

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    What made the LEO an *******? That he did not want to discuss the violation with you? Did he say anything derogatory or rude towards you? Or were you just not happy that he gave you a ticket? Sounds like he was doing his job.

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    What made the LEO an *******? That he did not want to discuss the violation with you? Did he say anything derogatory or rude towards you? Or were you just not happy that he gave you a ticket? Sounds like he was doing his job.
    He didn't acknowledge me or anything even after I apologized. Literally just said, "Driver's license and insurance. Sign here for your ticket speeding 76 in a 60." And walked off. I understand he is doing his job, at least be happy he is getting my money, ruining my day or something.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    He didn't acknowledge me or anything even after I apologized. Literally just said, "Driver's license and insurance. Sign here for your ticket speeding 76 in a 60." And walked off. I understand he is doing his job, at least be happy he is getting my money, ruining my day or something.

I don't see that as being an *******. He isn't getting your money. He is issuing you a Summons. That's about as professional as can be. You might not have liked not being warmly greeted or that you weren't engaged in small talk, but he was far from being an ******* if that's how it went down.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    It's not always what you say, but it's how you say it... If he was "cold shouldered" about it, he may have been an ******* about it, but then again, there's the possibility he was having a bad day, and just tried to keep his professionalism without going overboard to avoid any(more) potential conflict making his day worse. I'm guilty of it. If I'm having a shitty day, I'll keep communication with others to a minimum. I'm not being a dick, I'm just trying to save you the headache of dealing with my attitude problem.

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    I don't see that as being an *******. He isn't getting your money. He is issuing you a Summons. That's about as professional as can be. You might not have liked not being warmly greeted or that you weren't engaged in small talk, but he was far from being an ******* if that's how it went down.
    I guess if you look at it that way. I still say his demeanor just wasn't nice. Still got the job done though right? Anyway, I was reading up on article 892.1, 893 and 894. From what I understand, I have to still pay the ticket along with extra fee for driver course. I'll give DA a call tomorrow and hopefully he will just move it to non moving and if I'm lucky reduce ticket. Pay it and be done with it.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    To me, thats just being professional. He isnt out there to make small talk and carry on a conversation on the side of the road. In fact, many people bitch when a LEO tries to do that. His job at that moment was to get the information needed and handle the violation as he saw fit.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I got a speeding ticket 76 in a 60. Just my luck... I was following flow of traffic and was passing up another car. Anyway, I was speeding regardless. The officer was an ahole, I was courteous, apologized and admitted I was speeding. He just looked at my DL, registration and told me to sign ticket. Didnt even bother talking or anything. I called up a lawyer, my friend recommended and he quoted $200 fee, which seemed high, and guaranteed won't go on driving record or insurance. The ticket fee would be 200 max but he said he can most likely have it dismissed which means no ticket fee. Anyone a traffic lawyer or have any traffic lawyer recommendations? Court is in Jefferson parish gretna, 2nd district. I will get a lawyer to handle my ticket, as in the long run, my insurance doesn't go up. Thank you.

You're not going to need a lawyer LoL. Just call the DA, ask them if you can pay it without it going on your record or knock it down to a non-moving violation.

If they don't do that, which would be incredibly strange, Article 893/894 if you don't plan on getting a DWI in the next few years.

Always smile and say thank you and have a great day. They're not there to hold your hand and be your best friend. You broke the law, acknowledge it, move on. Deal with it after the fact.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    If you want to take a chance, you can plead not guilty and see if the Deputy shows up. It will only be reset(continued) twice. It will be dropped if the very busy Deputy, who is putting his life on the line for you while you sit in court, fails to show up for the 3rd court date.
    You should be glad that you only committed a minor violation and that there are people like that "just wasn't nice" Deputy who want to do the work that most people will not do because it is too dangerous or does not pay enough.
    You need to also understand that the Deputy who issued that citation takes a lot of crap from people just for doing a dangerous job. I think he rates some allowances with the pleasantries.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom