Best way to hide human odor while hunting.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thindogg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2016
    Iowa
    been having this problem for a long time now and i have tried a few products but a lot of them a just gimmicks to make you buy a bottle filled with lies.
    i will like to know if its even possible to hide human scent and how?
    please i will appreciate you real life observations.
    Thanks.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    You will never be able to hide your scent entirely from animals. They use smell to survive day in and day out. Other than keeping wind away from your back and getting high when possible, I've found the best masking scent is organic vanilla extract. A small bottle is just a few bucks. Get a $1 spray bottle from WalMart, add a good amount of distilled water, add extract, mix and spray. The sweet smell of vanilla, in my experience, appeals to the more hungry animals. I avoid all chemically manufactured scent away products. Use something natural.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    2 parts of the body that produce odor are the hair and mouth. Many hunters overlook those and they actually retain and produce more scent than the rest of the body that's covered with clothes. I've been able to stalk deer for several years and take them with a handgun, but I make sure of my approach and stay as downwind as possible.
    Washing your hunting clothes even down to socks and underwear and hat in the scentless sport wash helps, but there's nothing like line drying outside and immediate placement in a plastic bag until the hunt. I use the big ass ziplock bags.
    Pay attention to your boots as well. I usually hit a few mudholes on the walk in to cover my footprint.
    Empty your bladder before you dress for the hunt. One drop of pee on your pants or shoes will give u away.
    I do use HS scents body wash in the shower and baking soda water for mouth rinse.
    I hunt where nobody else treads so I've had to be aggressive in hiding my scent. In areas of heavier human traffic you have an advantage as the deer are more accustomed to some residual scent and a little less spooky.
    If you hunt your own property or a lease, take advantage of doe days and any opportunity to kill off any mature nanny does. They are your biggest tattle tale. While a mature buck will simply avoid you if he smells you, those old does will send out the alarm to any other deer in the area.
    Lastly, take advantage of the weather and time of day. I keep a dependable old shotty and an old .444 marlin handy for rainy day hunts. I love walking on rainy days and have killed many deer on a slow stalk through the woods in light rain. They will not wind you then and usually stay on the hoof.
    What about windless days? Some days there just doesn't seem to be a breeze at all. Carry a few cotton balls and pull a whisp to track any air current at all.
    In the mornings, as the floor starts to heat up, your scent will rise. Use that to your advantage. If you are in a climber, try to get 16-25 feet above the floor if the canopy allows visibility at that height. On evening hunts as things cool down, your scent will be held low to the ground and disperse. Ground blinds will keep your scent from spreading to a large extent.

Last edited:

HitNmiss

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    norco,la
    I've tried a lot of crap on the market.and came to the conculsion of f it.im there to enjoy myself.my bud had a ozone machine,does all th scent control,every damn thing u can imagine.ill smoke in my stand,crack open a beer,and eat my cookies and jerky.i without any doubt and have proven year after year will kill and see more than him.am I advocating what I do is the way absolutely not lol.i hunt 300 acres alone.he hunts 150ish with 8 people.

Believe a lot has to do with pressure of the land.when I was hunting louisiana they have to be the most weary deer and nocturnal deer.since back at my family land in Mississippi a lot better results.also in Louisiana.thats when I was trying about every scent control thing on the market.but did find out during bow season deer def don't like the smell of a thermocell.

But if I would try a scent free approach again I believe along the lines of magdumps post.id use to take dirt,pine straw leaves whatever was available in my hunting area and put it in my clean clothes in a air tight bag.

Than said this **** is getting crazy.people used to kill deer in a damn flannel **** and jeans under a tree.have deer changed?so now I'll just wing it,and have meat and horns in the freezer.but to each their own on whatever makes someone happy on what they want to get out of it

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Pressure in a given area plays a major role!!! I have hung my cloths out for a week, sprayed with sent away, took a bath with that sent blocker soap the whole 9 yards get 16' up a tree and have good wind and a stupid doe blow at me or in the area cause somthing ain't right... Then I have came home from working all day in the plant hurry and change my cloths and don't even shower or spray my self down, can hear my 3 kids playing and screaming in the back yard on my 7.5 acres, get in the same tree stand, same wind direction and 3 does walk right up on me like its Golden Corral.... And close enough for a bow kill... So I have nothing to input here lol

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    It's all bs. I have in laws who hunt while smoking cigarettes, eating candy and playing games on their phones and still kill more than the scent lock in laws.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    It's all bs. I have in laws who hunt while smoking cigarettes, eating candy and playing games on their phones and still kill more than the scent lock in laws.

Yup, I've hunted on the ground and peed right next to where I sat, and an hour later 2 does walk within 15 yards from me. Their noses were in the air and I waited too long to shoot, but you get the idea. And these were on HEAVILY pressured deer. If wanna go all out, drink deer urine for breakfast and roll around in cow manure before your hunt.. works like a charm.. JUST KIDDING

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland

My dad and brother smoke in the stand and still kill deer. My dad holds the cigarette up and he doesn't look the way the smoke is blowing.

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    My dad and brother smoke in the stand and still kill deer. My dad holds the cigarette up and he doesn't look the way the smoke is blowing.
    maybe that's the secret, light a cigarette or cigar and don't even have to smoke it. probably cheaper and easier to find than those scent sticks you light. im gunna try that next year fo sho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

thindogg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2016
    Iowa
    You will never be able to hide your scent entirely from animals. They use smell to survive day in and day out. Other than keeping wind away from your back and getting high when possible, I've found the best masking scent is organic vanilla extract. A small bottle is just a few bucks. Get a $1 spray bottle from WalMart, add a good amount of distilled water, add extract, mix and spray. The sweet smell of vanilla, in my experience, appeals to the more hungry animals. I avoid all chemically manufactured scent away products. Use something natural.

well this is something to try out for sure.

thindogg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2016
    Iowa
    maybe that's the secret, light a cigarette or cigar and don't even have to smoke it. probably cheaper and easier to find than those scent sticks you light. im gunna try that next year fo sho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

i think this method is practical and would work, i have to try it myself this season to be sure though.

Top Bottom