Suppressed Hunting Rig

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    When most people think of NFA items---SBRs, SBSs, silencers---they think of tacticool stuff, but there is sooo much more than that. Here's one example:

I bought a Handi-Rifle in .35 Whelen a few years back to shoot primitive season. I quickly fell in love. Shoots flat and the animals are dead right there. I hate tracking animals. Yeah, it was loud, heavy, and kicked like an angry mule, but I could live with that. Or so I thought.

A few years back I was sitting in my box blind and saw two coyotes playing about 100 yards away through the side window. I hate coyotes. Imagine how Hillary Clinton would feel in an economy class flight from New York to San Francisco in the middle seat between Donald Trump and Monica Lewinsky. That's how I feel about coyotes.

So I swung my rifle, cocked the hammer, and fired. But the barrel was only a few inches outside of the blind. It was the loudest noise I every heard. It actually hurt and my ears rung for several hours afterwards.

Now I haven't been able to go hunting for the last few years since I spend most of my time lawyering, selling guns, and being a dad, but I wanted to get that .35 Whelen back in the game with a little twist. So I had the barrel cut to 16.25" (I wanted to be sure to stay above the SBR length to avoid having to fill out an ATF 5320.20 for interstate travel), recrowned, and threaded 5/8-24.

I just got it back yesterday and installed a Silencerco Hybrid (good for up to .46 caliber) on it. The gun is now only an inch or two longer than when it was stock and is actually lighter because the barrel cut off weighed more than the suppressor. It should now be hearing safe and suppressors are also amazingly efficient muzzle brakes so the recoil should mitigate a bit. It also looks cool as hell although I may give the whole mess the Krylon touch.

Let us know if we can help you make your hunting rifle hearing safe.

lash&Rcan.jpg

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Cool clean looking build for catching those extra couple weeks of primitive.. and the rest of the season for that matter. This is one I did last year along the same lines on a rem 700 with DBM actually DBP(plastic) magpul. 16.25 308 win barrel threaded about 5 inches from the muzzle for my form 1 over the barrel silencer. I shot 110g hornady spire point and chewed some lead in my backstrap a while back so I'll probably hunt with a heavier bullet this year. What bullets you gunna shoot from that gun?
    20161201_164643_zps5nsyrxst.jpg

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I'm running 200gr. in the .35. Probably Hornady.

110gr in a .308? Wow that's light. I'd run a 180gr. if your barrel twist is in the 1:10-12 range.

Nice looking rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I know the feeling, almost all my hunting is now suppressed!!! nothing like cracking off a shot in a box stand to wake you up!!! I love shooting suppressed, I have a Remington 700 tactical that has a 1:10 twist and will sling some 220gr subsonics very quiet and accurate... But nothing is as fun as my 45-70 suppressed with the 405gr subsonic, that thing is crazy quiet and has a some serious knock down power even for being subsonic. Havent messed with the 16" .300 aac barrel a whole lot but its very compact also..

Attachments

• gun4.jpg
      gun4.jpg
      128.5 KB · Views: 187
    • gun3.jpg
      gun3.jpg
      124.4 KB · Views: 173
    • gun.JPG
      gun.JPG
      35.4 KB · Views: 203
    • gun2.jpg
      gun2.jpg
      124.9 KB · Views: 363
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      255.2 KB · Views: 245
    Last edited:

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    I'm running 200gr. in the .35. Probably Hornady.

110gr in a .308? Wow that's light. I'd run a 180gr. if your barrel twist is in the 1:10-12 range.

Nice looking rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yeah my idea was to get the velocity up to shoot as flat as possible. lung shot we got total pass through, dont remember if it caught a rib bone or not. spine at 250 yards gave me lead in the back strap no exit. im gunna try my 178g load and see how it works one day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    I know the feeling, almost all my hunting is now suppressed!!! nothing like cracking off a shot in a box stand to wake you up!!! I love shooting suppressed, I have a Remington 700 tactical that has a 1:10 twist and will sling some 220gr subsonics very quiet and accurate... But nothing is as fun as my 45-70 suppressed with the 405gr subsonic, that thing is crazy quiet and has a some serious knock down power even for being subsonic. Havent messed with the 16" .300 aac barrel a whole lot but its very compact also..
    those look good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    I love the Handy Rifle. This is my first Texas suppressed kill the first year they allowed them for hunting whitetail.
    This rifle started out as a 45/70. It was sent to the factory to fit a .308 barrel on it. Then had it chopped and threaded to 16.25 in.

One from the following year.

OtterBob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    West Monroe
    6ef5e4ba16e7d2de82b361465a7143d0.jpg

I did the same to this 357. Barrel cut to 16 &3/4 and threaded. It's a hoot to shoot 38 special through

it.
    bce60ecbde16c8fe05b9b4c15583571e.jpg

Then I had to go and order a 12 inch 45 ACP barrel from MGM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom