Why do people feel the need to Bump WTS ads once a day ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    For folks like me who browse by clicking the "new posts" button, if it hasn't been bumped it doesn't show up after the first post.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    i usually bump mine every other day, but they shouldn't be bumping more than once every 24 hours as per site rules.... but I agree with topgunz, I only click "new post" and shows me just the ones I haven't seen or haven't been bumped

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Yes it is a fast turn around here. So, Lots of ads added. So for them to stay at top and be seen. This the once a day bump.
    Then Ya Have members, who bump them more than that by cheating! By posting same day and adding more pics. When they should instead be editing the original post!
    Add in that know one knows how to read the rules, and mark their Sale & Want To Trade ads "SOLD in Red" As simple as it is! Rules state , Changing the prefix from WTT and WTS and not bump them and post Sold, or NLFS
    Oh man i did not need that last cup of coffee..............

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    They do it to keep there ad towards the top of the list so that it has a chance of getting noticed more than just letting it sit. If they bump it, it becomes a new post, and I would be willing to bet that most members check to see the newest/recent posts regularly.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    And the sneaky ones who edit daily instead of a bump and having the ad show one post instead of many giving the illusion that the the ad is new and has not been passed over for weeks on in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    And the sneaky ones who edit daily instead of a bump and having the ad show one post instead of many giving the illusion that the the ad is new and has not been passed over for weeks on in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget the guy / gal who thinks it is ok to cross list in all areas.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I believe the landscape of this place has changed so much from specific and non-specific interspersed discussion to a giant classified section, that's the only way to gain an advantage to sell your goods.

When I log in to see if any juicy topics of discussion are happening, but only see the last 3-4 pages are nothing but classified ads to sell something, it is obvious to me why they do it. :dunno:

I actually believe that sellers could sell more if there were more topics of discussion going on throughout the day. I know that I bought plenty of things that caught my eye when I was bouncing back from one discussion to another. Those were basically impulse buys. I suppose if I needed something particular that was gun related, I could look. But the search function still doesn't work accurately enough to look for specific keywords.

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    The search function is lacking a little, there has been several times I have looked up stuff in the search function, that I know was the exact description and the search option wouldn't find it

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I believe the landscape of this place has changed so much from specific and non-specific interspersed discussion to a giant classified section, that's the only way to gain an advantage to sell your goods.

When I log in to see if any juicy topics of discussion are happening, but only see the last 3-4 pages are nothing but classified ads to sell something, it is obvious to me why they do it. :dunno:

I actually believe that sellers could sell more if there were more topics of discussion going on throughout the day. I know that I bought plenty of things that caught my eye when I was bouncing back from one discussion to another. Those were basically impulse buys. I suppose if I needed something particular that was gun related, I could look. But the search function still doesn't work accurately enough to look for specific keywords.

I agree. But when someone asks a tech question there is still always someone who helps.
    After looking at tech stuff, I look at what members are doing next.
    I try and look at all the Forums for advertisements. To Moderate them. As in if someone puts them in Discussion Forums instead of Classified Forums. That way they can be moved. Sometimes Guy forget to put a price. How ya gonna sell it with no price?
    Just like Hitler..................... I mean Santa! Checking them once, checking them twice. Keep in mind it is hard to look at everything for sale. I want everything..............................

I could start a Fence Thread. Have lots of pics from when I did it

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I've been on here for years and only looked at the classifieds. Just recently started hitting New Posts and getting into some of the discussions. Search is bad and , of course, you have to know what you are looking for. So, it depends on how someone uses the forum. If you just pop in and look at a specific sales forum, there's a big chance that my item is way down the list and you'll never come across it, so regular bumps mean I might catch you at the right time.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I beg to differ on the search... I'm familiar with vBulletin and how it works... the "Advanced Search" is probably more of what you're looking for, however, the search is only as good as the content in the posts. For example, if you search for "AR-15" you get no results (probably because it is searching very specifically for "AR" and "15" and these search functions don't do well with hyphens) which would produce too many responses (due to the fact that every post number, image, etc. that includes the number 15 or every instance of "AR" appearing... like cAR, cellAR, bAR, etc)... however, if you search for AR15, you get plenty of results... More often than not, users aren't addressing things in the same way or even consistently each time they address it.

I have an NAA firearm in the Classifieds... if I search for North American Arms, it shows... if I search for NAA, it doesn't (because I don't mention "NAA" anywhere in the post. The search engine of these bulletin boards simply searches the database for matching groups of letters... it's not a mind-reader.

So, bottom line is, the search engine works, but its a two party system... the person creating the post should take the search engine into consideration when they format their post... search engines don't normally do well with abbreviations, acronyms, misspellings, etc. Its a rudimentary function of a script... it's not google. That's why when you search here, you don't get "Oh, did you mean this?... XXXXXXXX... because that's what we are listing for you".

If you go to google, and type "site:www.bayoushooter.com **YOUR SEARCH TEXT HERE**", providing it is indexed through all the threads, it performs a very detailed response, however, chances are they are ordered by popularity, and what Google thinks you're searching for... and not necessarily by date. It may also not be as up-to-date as the actual site search because google only crawls on a schedule... not every minute.

Searching for "AR-15" resulted in 7,580 responses through Google Search.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I beg to differ on the search...

I have an NAA firearm in the Classifieds... if I search for North American Arms, it shows... if I search for NAA, it doesn't (because I don't mention "NAA" anywhere in the post. The search engine of these bulletin boards simply searches the database for matching groups of letters... it's not a mind-reader.

I'm not an expert on this forum's particular search engine, but when I type North American Arms, I get 80 pages of results. That's not very helpful. When I try to hone in a little, with what I think is a fairly universal search trick and type "North American Arms", I expect the engine to search for those exact 3 words (hence the quotes) and return fas less results. what I get, though, is the advanced search page giving me this error:

"The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: "North American Arms"

If I change the quoted search term to "Dan Wesson" I get 82 pages of results, many of which are Wesson, not "Dan Wesson" as the quotes should have specified.

There is no help topic or parameters cheat list that I notice on the search page, so now I have to try and google ways to perform an efficient search on vbulletin or vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1.

Not the end of the world, but because search is rudimentary, inefficient, pulls too many results, etc., that's another reason people choose to bump classifieds a maximum of once a day (in policy) or at any interval longer than that, at the poster's discretion.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I'll bump once a day to get my ad closer to the top. I'm also looking for a quick sell when I add stuff and have ZERO patience (which does hurt me sometimes because I might accept a "not so great" deal if I can just get rid of whatever I added.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom